The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  N112 can overheat
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 3:29 am    

Last night my N112 started cutting out, big time. Fortunately I had a second amp with me which I used to cover the rest of the show .

Here's the deal and a recent thread by Jeff Metz Jr. got me to thinking this morning.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=316612

I play this show twice a month and I typically lean the amp up against the small built in cubby of sorts which is full of stuff. The rear of the amp was close against the stuff. Sometimes there is more STUFF in the cubby than other times. It's a small restaurant and this cubby is used for some table supplies. We don't have much space so I generally lean the amp up against it.

Well, about 30 minutes in, and of course right at the beginning of my solos on the very nice Gospel song " In The Garden" every 2nd note was missing or distorted. Heck of a way to play a smooth Gospel tune ! So I naturally changed every cable, removed the V-Ped etc to see if I could isolate the issue. NADA...

It was the amp. I wasn't thinking overheating so I just plugged into my Blues Jr that I also had with me and carried on. Surprisingly the Blues Jr handled the Emmons pretty well.

But, this morning I got to thinking about Jeffs post and a few comments about the N112 overheating if they were backed up against the wall.

SOOOoooo, I brought the N112 up to the practice room this morning, powered it up and it is working just fine. There is no doubt in my mind that the amp was leaning up against stuff and the heat sink got seriously hot .

When I powered it off last night there was little or no sound other than distorted pops and booms. This morning it sings like bird.

I'll leave it on all day but it's been on now over an hour and it's working just fine, thank you very much ! Smile

The N400 can possibly survive being closer to a wall with it's massive heat sink but the N112 is less forgiving , and rightfully so. This is not a problem with the N112, it's something that we should not do.

Ever lean a Twin reverb up against a wall with no air circulation ! You could roast a pig !

just a heads-up.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 26 May 2017 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 7:37 am     Nv

That's good to know. Most amps sound better away from the wall too.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 7:45 pm     Re: N112 can overheat

Tony Prior wrote:
The N400 can possibly survive being closer to a wall with it's massive heat sink but the N112 is less forgiving , and rightfully so. This is not a problem with the N112, it's something that we should not do.

Right.
Any SS/op-amp amp can, and eventually will, overheat if there isn't good enough airflow around its heatsink to transfer heat away from the amp.
A bigger sized heatsink just buys some time in situations with restricted airflow, and may "save the show" if the player doesn't push the amp too hard for too long.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2017 3:10 pm    

just a quick update, fortunately the amp recovered with no side effects, it's been on multiple gigs since the overheating which was my own fault !

Note to self..

"don't do that again"

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website