The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Feedback on my next learning project
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 7:44 pm    

To improve my skills, every now and then I pick a steel guitar arrangement from a song to learn note-by-note and try to match the tone and volume as close as I can. This familiarizes me with the different styles of famous players as well. I'm at the skill level now where nothing feels inaccessible to me, even if I can't always get a part down right.

I want to learn this performance by Bruce Bouton next: https://youtu.be/XDsN_vcy2Mk It sounds good and I bet there's a lot of stuff in there to add to my "vocabulary" on steel guitar. There's also a small number of parts in it that I would change, so it'd be a fun challenge to come up with replacement parts.

Does this song sound like a good project to learn? A couple of months ago I did the same thing with a Bucky Baxter piece and it ended up being more than I could chew. While I could mimic it fairly closely, the parts of it that I would've loved to have incorporated into my own original playing were just too far over my head.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 4:33 am    

There are several very nice things that Bruce plays in this tune. He such a good steel player!!!.

My advice to you would be to learn a few of the licks and then try to integrate them into your own playing. Then learn a few more and repeat.

Another good exercise is to take a track, play the melody with single notes and then build on that with harmony and some of the licks that you learned.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 5:41 pm    

I sat down with this one today. It has an improvised feel to it, like he came up with it quickly. The shimmying descending slide from the different inversions of IV to I between the verses is somewhat new to me. In my own playing I avoid sliding between inversions of the same chord because it's usually 'too much', but Bruce Bouton makes it work.

The style and musical choices remind me of an uncredited steel part from a song I learned last year. Now I wonder if that was Bruce Bouton. Are there any moves or musical choices that are distinct to him?

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 4:36 pm    

Can someone with a good set of ears help me out here? What do you hear going on from 4:37 to 4:47 of this song:

https://youtu.be/XDsN_vcy2Mk

The song is in the key of G. Trying to figure this out today gave me wore me out. He's just going down and then up the different inversions of G and Am on the 4, 5, and 6 strings, right?

Starts at G on the 10th fret, then Am on the 8th fret, then down to G at the 3rd fret, then up to G on the 6th fret, then Am on the 8th, 13th, and 15th frets....?

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 6:02 pm    

Curt Trisko wrote:

Starts at G on the 10th fret, then Am on the 8th fret, then down to G at the 3rd fret, then...

First, I hear the 8th string in there on a lot of this section, especially on beat 1 when it first changes to the Am, C and D chords. And also when it first slides into the 3rd fret (during the second half of the C chord).

Then after the G in the 3rd fret, at 4:44 it hits two inversions of D (along with the band): 3rd fret with E-lowered on stgs 8 and 5, then while still ringing, slide up to the 5th fret with AB. Then for the next bit, hit stgs 4 and 5, and while ringing, slide a loooong way up from 5th fret to Am (15th fret with BC).

I hope that's right; I'm not sitting at my steel.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 6:28 am    

Thanks Tucker! I can't wait to get back in front of my steel and try out what you say.

Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 7:06 am    

Love Bruce's tone on this!

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 10:15 am    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
Curt Trisko wrote:

Starts at G on the 10th fret, then Am on the 8th fret, then down to G at the 3rd fret, then...

First, I hear the 8th string in there on a lot of this section, especially on beat 1 when it first changes to the Am, C and D chords. And also when it first slides into the 3rd fret (during the second half of the C chord).

Then after the G in the 3rd fret, at 4:44 it hits two inversions of D (along with the band): 3rd fret with E-lowered on stgs 8 and 5, then while still ringing, slide up to the 5th fret with AB. Then for the next bit, hit stgs 4 and 5, and while ringing, slide a loooong way up from 5th fret to Am (15th fret with BC).

I hope that's right; I'm not sitting at my steel.

I think you got it right, Tucker!