The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D6th 'Universal?' Copedent
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 6:27 pm    

In a quest for a single neck copedent that could handle almost anything, I've settled on this 10-string with 6 pedals and 6 knee levers. D is midway between C and E, so D6th is midway between E9th and C6th. The string order is like C6th, but all of the high intervals of the E9th are still there. The trick is that notes from the E9th string 2 are on string 4 instead, and everything is tuned one step lower (think D9th instead of E9th).
<center>

</center>
P1 and P2 are the D9th A+B changes. LKL is the "F lever". LKR and RKR provide the "chromatic" notes of the D9th 2nd string, which are now on the 4th string. P5 (like C6th P7) has the bounce of the D9th C pedal on the 3rd string, while LKV provides a more "squeezable" C pedal change. This copedent doesn't have the more modern E9th changes, but there's enough of that Nashville sound on the high strings to satisfy real country music fans.

Everything from Buddy Emmons' C6th is there (raised a step to D6th) except for the 8th string raise of the standard C6th P4. I raise the 9th string instead on LKR to get the alternating bass on the D chord.

I use LKV when I'm playing E9th-like stuff, and LKV2 when I'm deep into C6th mode. The one that I'm not using is pulled out of the way. Changes in parens are rodded but backed out in case I decide I need them.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 8:57 am    

Any questions Question

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 9:40 am     Looks good.....

I guess the reason I decided to comment is that I tried a form of the "hybrid" tuning (the Emmons in my avatar) that Buddy Emmons used awhile in the '70's; 12-str E9 with a C# between E & B. But mine was more E9 in that I finished it off with the 12th string as low G# instead of low E. You've got the major C6 moves going on there. And you're not having to "re-think" your keys. The hybrid thing didn't work for me, though there were a lot of cool voicings I gave up & still miss going back to E9/C6.

I'll say that as long as I had E9/C6 handy, I'd love to have a gtr. set up exactly like yours.

I'll get it rolling in that's definitely the best morph of the 2 tunings I've seen, IMO.

Cool

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 4:11 pm    

I agree that this tuning deserves some VERY serious consideration!! Being a die hard uni player that would like to "lighten the load", I'm looking at it seriously and trying to see what changes a "Day" player would need to make to pedal/levers. Other than switching A and B pedals, looks like F on LKR and lower Es on LKL? Opinions???

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 6:15 pm    

If you swapped P1 and P2, Sonny, you'd probably want a tuneable split for Bb using P2+P3 on string 5. Not a bad idea. I'm no Day player.