The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Right hand and also fingerpicks
Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 5:02 pm    

I am having trouble fitting my national np2s finger picks. One day there fine the next loose.But before I forget I want to thank Jerry O for hie expert help with my knee levers and a big thanks for the VHS right hand alpha by Jeff Newman. I'm working at getting my right hand proper.any suggestions on making the finger picks fit my fingers better than keep re bending them everyday?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 7:00 pm    

1) Make sure you're not swapping index for middle.
2) try painting the inside scoop with clear nail polish,, it'll keep them from slipping.

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 2:36 am    

Lane I hurried and posted last night without searching for old post on finger picks. I saw where you have suggested [ like now] to use finger nail [polish. I will try that tonight. thanks Jerry

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 6:27 am    

Hi Jerry. I'm glad you are finding the video helpful and I hope your guitar is still working fine and you are enjoying the experience.

Your body tissue will expand and contract throughout the day including your fingers, especially since you are a working man. Also certain health issues can cause changes.

There are a few things you can do. Use some shrink wrap on the rings of your picks or use something called Pick Stix or other commercially available products that are made for guitar players to put on the tips of the fingers to grip picks...or come by the house and harvest some pine tar off one of my white pines Exclamation

That's what I do, but it can be messy and get places you don't want it if you're not careful.

Some people put saliva on their finger tips.

Any of these methods will help your fingers get a better grip on your picks.

Shrink wrap is pretty easy to do. You can pick some up for pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. A piece about 1/2"x 1/2" on ea. side of the ring will shrink down about right...or there are people here on the forum that sell the picks like this already wrapped.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 7:49 am    

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 8:15 am    

It seemed like it took forever to get my Nationals bent right, to fit my fingertips? Or maybe it was just getting used to wearing them? I don't have to use anything now, but tried several things as others have suggested. This instrument sure will teach you the value of patience...whether it's accessories, technique, playing or troubleshooting! All good advice and tips from these veterans.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 9:03 am    

Edward Rhea wrote:
It seemed like it took forever to get my Nationals bent right.

Me too, but now they stay on all by themselves. My round-nosed pliers are my best friend. Also, the inside surface of the nickel silver seems to have become etched a bit (perspiration?) as time has passed, or just plain dirty, which seems to help.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 9:07 am    

You can't beat spit! Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 9:08 am     Needle nose pliers

Lane Gray wrote:
1) Make sure you're not swapping index for middle.
2) try painting the inside scoop with clear nail polish,, it'll keep them from slipping.

Lane got it right... I also use Nationals because they stay on well.
I bend them very carefully with two pairs of needle nose pliers.
First I bend the wrap over part until they are the same and just the right angle. Then I bend the bands to fit each finger. I make them a little tight and they stay on.
At first they may hurt a little but you'll get adjusted to that the same way you got used to fingering your 6 string guitar.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 9:30 am    

I really prefer the Dunlop finger picks for a couple of reasons.
For one, they come in different gauges, the lighter gauges are easier to shape to your fingers and,
secondly, they have wider, contoured bands that don't dig into your fingers. Very Happy

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 11:16 am     So Erv likes Dunlop? I like this one.

So Erv likes Dunlop, How about this one?
Tom Bradshaw gave me two of these Dunlop picks engraved by Mr. Dunlop about 1979 or 80....
My son who is now 45 was playing soldiers with them back then and one went down the heating vent in the house. That was just a few months after I got it.
He didn't tell me until a few years ago. He felt bad because he remembered me looking everywhere for it back then.

Used it so long it finally split (Bottom Right Photo) and I had a jeweler weld it for me. Now I just save it, memorabilia.

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 12:41 pm    

Andy,
I sure wouldn't mind owning a couple of them. Very Happy

Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 4:47 pm    

WOW ! finger nail polish works great! After I believe that they are finally bent to my fingers.I also appliedc the finger nail polish to my thumb pick and 2 of my guitar picks so onward to practing [ getting my right hand right ]

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 5:12 pm    

I'm quite convinced that if you're sitting in front of your steel, fiddling with picks, you're not practicing music. One fine solution is to have AT LEAST two sets of picks, so you can fiddle with one while watching TV, etc. When they get to fit better than the set of "Playing Picks", the pairs change place. I have also found that "ACRI" picks makes the entire issue moot. We Like Moot!

https://www.elderly.com/acri-fingerpick.htm

I still have to shorten the blades and re-curve the curve a bit.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 6:29 pm    

I really like the Show Case 1941's. They are very heavy gauge. Once they are adjusted they don't change. For me, heavy picks like the Show Case and JF's give a better tone than thinner gauge Dunlops, etc. FWIW, in another recent thread, Tommy White chimed in that he uses Show Case. YMMV.

As Erv said, a little spit keeps them in place for an entire hour set. Again, YMMV.

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 6:04 am    

A product called Tool Magic, that is supposed to be used for protecting tools by coating parts (ie. Jaws of pliers) works really well if you coat the band of a finger pick. It creates a thin, rubbery coating on the band that keeps the pick from moving or falling off. Costs $5.00, at Joann Fabrics. Enough to do a lifetime worth of picks.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 6:55 am     ACRI Picks are great.

David Mason wrote:
I'm quite convinced that if you're sitting in front of your steel, fiddling with picks, you're not practicing music. One fine solution is to have AT LEAST two sets of picks, so you can fiddle with one while watching TV, etc. When they get to fit better than the set of "Playing Picks", the pairs change place. I have also found that "ACRI" picks makes the entire issue moot. We Like Moot!

https://www.elderly.com/acri-fingerpick.htm

I still have to shorten the blades and re-curve the curve a bit.

I like the ACRI Picks, they are smooth where the pick touches your skin. At first they may seem bulky, but that goes away quickly. They are rounded where the pick strikes or plucks the strings,,,, great design.

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 12:54 pm     Jeff Newman finger picks?

Recently I was asked if I had any of Jeff Newman's finger picks. I didn't, but am wondering who might know if Jeff and Fran Newman's family retained or sold the remaining inventory that was left when Fran passed away? Perhaps there was a supply of those picks with all his teaching courses (???). ...Tom
P.S.: Back when I was playing, I had no problem keeping my Dunlop picks (which I preferred) on by using a non-slip product sold at bowling alleys for better grasping of a bowling ball!

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 7:15 pm     My Favorite Picks.

These made out of silver, by Doyle Mitchell down in Texas, are the best and most comfortable picks I've ever had. And me being an old Texas boy, I Like'em.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 7:49 pm     Re: My Favorite Picks.

Bill L. Wilson wrote:
These made out of silver, by Doyle Mitchell down in Texas, are the best and most comfortable picks I've ever had. And me being an old Texas boy, I Like'em.]

Y'know what would be a hard state to do on a fingerpick like that? Hawaii.
Michigan too, if you included the upper peninsula.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 12:37 am    

The ends of my fingers are now the shape of the same Dunlop picks I've used for 39 years!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 12:35 pm    

I just emailed Melissa at Jefran this morning to ask if she has any finger picks left. I will update this page when I hear back from her. She responded very quickly to a question about her stock of Jefran's courses and costs....