The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Roy "Junior" Gainey
Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 6:56 am    

Roy Gainey of Kershaw, SC has passed away. Roy played lead guitar in the "Slim Mims Band" of Florence, SC when Russ Hicks played steel guitar for Slim long before he went with the Kitty Wells Band. Roy also played along with Jimmy Capps in the Slim Mims Band way back in the mid 1960's. Roy, lovingly known as "Junior" was a true Christian gentleman who loved to minister in churches and nursing homes. His three sons Vernon, Gordon, and Faron are outstanding musicians in their own right. Roy will be missed greatly.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Last edited by Tony Edwards on 31 May 2017 4:53 am; edited 2 times in total

David Christmas

Greeleyville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 1:59 am     Roy Gainey

Mr. Gainey was INDEED fine gentleman, and musician I played music with him for the past eight or nine years and during that time we became the best of friends, and also lending a helping hand to his fellow musicians . he is gone but will never b forgotten. rest in peace friend.

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 6:37 am    

I have some great memories of playing with Junior and all the gang with Slim in Florence, SC. My condolences to Gordon, Vernon and Faron; I know how close they were to their dad.

rh

Vernon Gainey

Jefferson, South Carolina
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 12:41 pm     Junior Gainey

We are all feeling great loss as our Daddy passed away this past Tuesday. You all help validate our assessment that our Dad was indeed a fine musician, friend and lover of music. Obviously, he touched many lives in his 81+ years. I am humbled to see these very kind remarks and appreciate them so much. As a musician, seems like you struggle all of your career to get recognition and to know that what you sacrificed and poured your heart into was worth the effort. I know my Dad made a difference in his generation. We have spoken with so many guys (and gals) who have told us of the times Junior Gainey was an inspiration and a help to them. Of that fact... I am most proud. Smile

Last edited by Vernon Gainey on 3 Jun 2017 8:41 am; edited 4 times in total

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 4:51 am     Roy Gainey

I was Roy's Pastor a few years ago in Lake City, SC. Roy and I would get together often with other musicians and play. One time we got together with his three sons and I enjoyed our time immensely. Roy once brought me a guitar and gave it to me. He always made positive comments about everyone's music, Never a negative word. I loved this dear man. One thing I believe is that he was right with God and he was ready to go. Rest In Peace Brother Roy. We will see you again at the resurrection!
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"