The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  please close
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 12:42 pm    

Anyone got an idea about the price?....thanks jack

Last edited by Jack Goodson on 5 Jun 2017 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 5:07 pm    

You mean an Electar? The new one or the old ones? They made a number of Electar models in the '30s through the '50s.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 5:12 pm     Electra?

Noah, yes Electra. I believe it it supposed to be from the late 30's or early 40's. It looks to be in very good condition. Any info will be Greatly appreciated....thanks jack

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 5:22 pm    

Are you talking about a 6 string electric guitar. If you are I have one that has the wide frets and all the inlay. Back in about 05 or 06 I had it in the Rio Grande Valley a gentleman offered me $1250 for it. I had a friend over heard him. He told me Melhart Music in McAllen had 2 of them. I went down and looked he was asking $2400 for them. I bought mine at a garage sale for $250 with Gibson hard case. It's not for sale my grandson gets it when I die. It's in great shape. Wes

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 5:24 pm     Electar

It is a 6/string lap steel....thanks jack

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 5:38 pm    

There are two Electars - one with a teardrop body and one with a "stairstep" body.

Book pricing for excellent condition is $575-700 for the teardrop; $700-875 for the stairstep.

"Very good" generally means there's some visible wear - scratches, a few dings or small ships, cracked plastic parts and such. not a lot, but some.

A couple of big caveats regarding pricing:

1) In the last year...after book pricing was determined (basically factored off the previous year's sales prices by dealers)...the market has been saturated with vintage-looking, cheap imported lap steels, seriously affecting vintage prices.

2) Vintage steels have been showing up for sale by the droves - as the new ones have appeared on the market it seems many people have dug out "uncle Charlie'a old guitar" and try to sell it.

These things have seriously depressed the market. Actual selling prices end up far below book and vintage pieces are extremely hard to move. I've helped some people sell about 7 or 8 vintage lap steels - Gibson, Epis and others - in VG to excellent condition and we've ben lucky to get even half the book pricing.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 5:44 pm     Photos

Jim, I don,t know which body it is, but I would say it is a teardrop.is there somewhere I could see the difference in both styles?....thanks jack

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 2:03 am    

There are a lot more than two Electars. There was the Electrophone, Style C, Style M, Zephyr, Century, and Coronet... and that doesn't even go into the console models or the post-War steels that continued to bear the Electar name. The easiest way to ID one is from a picture.

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 4:50 am    

I sold a 6string Electar Zephyr, a year or so ago, for $450. Guitar would be graded as very good. Dated to 1937 with original case (replacemrnt handle) also in very good shape with no odors. Took over a year to sell. This is the stair step model.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 6:54 am    

I bought this Model-C Epiphone Electar from Todd Clinesmith (you couldn't find a more reputable dealer) about a year ago for $260. It has become my go-to six string. It's got a few dings and I'm sure it will acquire a few more. I think of it as sort of a poor mans Gibson EH-150 and as such I'm not afraid to bring it to any gig. Looks and sounds great. It was a great price as Todd was just passing along an interesting vintage guitar when he was done with it. It did sit around on the forum without any buyers for a few weeks at $300. I think Jim Sliff is right about the depressed market.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=297665&highlight=epiphone

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 9:00 am     Info

Bill, thanks for the info, the one I am looking at has teardrop shaped body, and has epiphone on the headstock and Electra on the other end near the bridge....thanks jack

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 7:37 pm    

Quote:
There are a lot more than two Electars. There was the Electrophone, Style C, Style M, Zephyr, Century, and Coronet.

Those are all different models as far as established pricing goes. Most - if there have been active sales in the last couple of years - are also listed in the Vintage Guitar Price Guide, but under their own headings.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional