The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  F/S Thomas U-12 8+5 $2000 + shipping
Bruce Wandmayer

Sedona, AZ
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 8:39 pm    

Here's a Thomas steel in the Universal 12-string tuning: 8 pedals, 5 knee levers. 3 raise, 2 lowers. Built by Barry Thomas.

I don't know the vintage on it. Ser. no. S1285055995

Mechanically, it's in very good condition--been completely gone through by Tom Bradshaw, so it plays great.

Cosmetically, it's not perfect; when I got it it had been modified with a homemade keyless tuner system. I removed that, replacing it with the correct Grover mini-Rotomatic tuners. Ahhh, much better. But the previous owner had drilled some holes in the machine head mount to accommodate his system; they're still there but they don't affect the workings at all and they're not overly obvious. Check out the pictures.

Other modifications:
He removed the mica strip on the pedal rack, replacing it with a decorative piece of wood. I removed the wood and had the pedal rack polished. I still have the wood strip if you want it.
He also put wood inserts on the pedals; I left those on.
He drilled some semicircular cuts in the changer end plate to make it easier to access the top row of tuners there. Again, check the pictures.
And there's a hole drilled in the barrel of one of the legs... No idea why.
There are some blemishes in the paint on the changer end of the fretboard but they don't affect anything either; they're just there.
There's a burn mark in the armrest pad, near the tuners, where it looks like he may have left his cigarette.

I think that's it for the modifications. It looks good now--it's just not a jewel.

I cleaned 30+ years of bar gunk off the mechanism under the guitar; looks and plays much better now.

It comes with a brand new case by Wade Thomas (no relation) that I had custom-built for this guitar. He built cases for the Emmons Guitar Company. Also, there's a pouch for the legs and pedal rods, along with a heavy-duty naugahyde cover for the guitar.

The guitar weighs about 56 lbs. With the case, about 66 lbs. Shipping weight: about 75 lbs.

I got this guitar because I thought I'd move to a 12-string universal but I've decided to stay with my 10-string. Now you can get a great-playing 12-string psg for a great price. Thomas guitars have a great reputation, and there aren't that many available.

You can pay for shipping from Santa Cruz, CA or pick it up here.

Thanks for looking. Enjoy, and play on!

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 1:14 am    

Did the homemade keyless system not work well or did you just prefer a keyed steel? Thanks Steve t

Bruce Wandmayer

Sedona, AZ
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 8:18 am    

The conversion was done reasonably well. I just didn't care for the aesthetics: thumbscrews, thumbtacks--and it's still on a full-size frame, so what's the point?

Would someone like a nice 12-string keyless conversion assembly?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 11:29 am    

what a shame, cutting, drilling and butchering such a beautiful guitar, some people should not be allowed to own musical instruments period (talking from my personal experience Sad )

steve takacs

Post  Posted 21 May 2017 12:27 pm     Problems with the keyless ser-up?

Bruce, the point might be that converting it again back to a keyless could be something a buyer would want to do. If the keyless assembly did not work well, it could dissuade him from buying the guitar with the keyed assembly as it is now.

In answer to your question, yes I would like a nice 12 string keyless conversion assembly. My zip code is 56562. This is in Minnesota. Let me know what postage by snail mail costs.

Seems like you prefer the traditional look of a keyed guitar which is fine. I think most players do. Thanks for answering my question Stevet

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 1:31 pm    

If Steve doesn't take the Keyless system I'll buy it.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 9:44 am    

this is a wonderful guitar, someone needs to jump on this deal...

steve takacs

Post  Posted 29 May 2017 10:21 am     Asking again

Bruce , I have not heard back so let me ask again.

I would like the nice 12 string keyless conversion assembly shown ,in your last photo.
My zip code is 56562 which is in Minnesota. Let me know what postage by snail mail costs. Thanks, steve t

steve takacs

Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 3:06 am    

Bruce , I have not heard back so let me ask again.

I would like the nice 12 string keyless conversion assembly shown ,in your last photo.
My zip code is 56562 which is in Minnesota. Let me know what postage by snail mail costs. Thanks, steve t

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 6:58 am    

I think I would like to buy tihis Steel an make new end plates for it rework cabinet bring it back too new condition. Shame it was butchered that way but I’ve done worse through the years. Can those pedal exstendeds be removed they might work well but just not my cup of tea.