The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Steel Guitars
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 3:22 pm    

Very nice work Ross.
When a luthier builds steels you can count on a different style.
I've been a long time wanting to see real pearl and abalone inlays in steel guitars.

Glad you are keeping the Sierra and Chuck Wright legacy alive.
I was so impressed with their operation in the late 70's that after I went there I took night classes in machine shop and gas welding with the intention of doing what you have done better than I dreamed.

Love to get a chance to meet some time.
Best wishes,
Andy

BTW, I have loads of drawings of many classic fret inlays if you should ever desire.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 4:42 am    

Honestly, the remaining steel guitar community is tremendously lucky that this builder has committed the time and effort into offering and continuing the superb Sierra Line of steel guitars. There's not that many young people coming along to take all us old guys places...and commercial country ain't helping a bit, just a smattering here and there. Admiration and good fortune to Sierra!

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 7:05 pm    

Ive been watching this take shape for several years now...i have visited, I have watched, and learned all kinds of great things from Ross...a truly gifted craftsman. The innovations incorporated into his work are numerous, useful, and effective..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 8:07 pm    

My dream rig is a reality. Mr. Green

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 8:24 pm    

Nice!!!

Scott Baker

Upland, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 8:45 pm    

So Bob,
Is that a 22nd or 23rd Series. Standard Eight, or Super?

Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 4:44 am    

Awesome b0b, simply awesome!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 6:09 am    

Scott Baker wrote:
So Bob,

It's a prototype S-10, 6 pedals + 6 knee levers.

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 7:30 am    

Hey b0b,
That is a great looking steel and amp set up, no doubt, but I'm really digging your car.
Awesome!
Lee

Scott Baker

Upland, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 10:47 am    

b0b wrote:
Scott Baker wrote:
So Bob,

It's a prototype S-10, 6 pedals + 6 knee levers.

Oops. I was referring to the car, but I guess it's not yours.

I have the same car, 1949 Packard 22nd series Standard Eight.
I also have a Mica Red wood grain Sierra U-12 but its a late Seventies Keyed Crown Model

Go Sierra! Go Packard!

Last edited by Scott Baker on 29 May 2017 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 10:48 am    

b0b, I'm digging the car too. And that giant laminated maple butchers block that you set up on, and then carve a whole rotisserie roasted pig on later. 😎

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 11:27 am    

Sierra guitars were never cheap, I remember even back in 1988 when I first heard of Sierra, they were around $5000 ... I would be surprised to see these guitars selling for under $7000 now ... great instruments, not for everybody, but I'm sure they will find their place in the market.... these are not instruments you would buy, sell and trade, but the kind of instrument you would buy for life, and keep it in a family from generation to generation.... I am very happy to see Sierra shine again, even tho most likely, I'll never have a chance to own one myself....

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 9:00 pm     Very Nice.

b0b, that is a Fine set up, and the butcher block just sets it off.....I have the Hillbilly set up, my steel and seat setting on two pieces of plywood connected together with a couple of clips. But I really like the butcher block.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 5:44 am    

Howdy all,

As it turns out, it seems that some old fart (OK, that'd be me) got the new Sierra email addy wrong when it was posted on www.sierrasteels.com , dumb move, but its fixed now. My apologies to those who tried to email me with no luck.

I've still got some formatting to deal with and pics of the new guitars that need loading, but I went ahead and put all the info about our new pedal steels on the site.

Features, ordering info and pricing is all on the Products/Pedal steel page. There's a lot of info there. Rest assured, I will be working with my web person to make that page a little easier to digest.

At this time 5 or 6 people have asked to be on the waiting list. Now that the pricing is published, I'll be contacting each one of you.

I'm thrilled by the reception of these guitars by the steel community and look forward to building some dream steels.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 2:03 pm    

Hey Ross!

Congratulations on the website update. It is really good to see that great things are happening at Sierra again.

Per Berner

Skâvde, Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 10:15 pm    

This certainly seems like a very well engineered pedal steel. If it sounds and plays as good as it looks, I would be prepared to pay a pretty hefty sum to own one. But $10,000 for a S10? Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! That's $13,500 shipped across the ocean with taxes and import duties! That's about three times what I paid for my hybrid Zum (which is universally considered to be state-of-the-art) not that long ago!

5 to 6 grand for a S10 would still have been plenty expensive, but maybe doable. If the new Sierra is to have a chance in the marketplace, they need to cut costs on a grand scale, and offer a version without the carbon fibre bits.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 10:35 pm    

I submit to Per that the new Sierra is not overpriced by any means if you had any idea of the time involved and the cost of production of a guitar of that nature. All guitars have their place- from a ShowBud Maverick to the new Sierra. If you wanted to drive a Rolls Royce and appreciated the work that went into building one (it is said that the loudest noise you hear is the ticking of the clock) and could afford it- get one~~ if not- get another car- lots of great ones around. I love the Zum Hybrid guitar! Some folks pay several hundred dollars for a bottle of wine when a bottle can easily be had for way less that still tastes great. There are those that can afford and appreciate a guitar like the new Sierra- even if it might never leave the house.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 2:09 am    

Great description of the design and engineering. Of course, your site exists for the purpose of general information and marketing, not for education or the entertainment of fellow geeks. And your time and resources must be pretty well spoken for. But I was sure wishing for graphic aids as I read the discussion of the changer and the virtual pivot points. I have huge appreciation for the engineering creativity involved in approaching well known problems and finding new solutions.
Congrats.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 8:02 am    

Thanks again everyone. I know there's a number of questions/comments that deserve a response in this thread...I won't try to respond to them all here, but please contact me through the phone number and email address found at: www.sierrasteels.com

A few quick responses:

Andy De Paule: I'd enjoy meeting you too, I've perused your inlays a number of times. Beautiful Bud and MSA bodies you've had hand in!

Per Berner: Your input is not a surprise and was completely expected. The only comments I have are:
> Yup these suckers are really expensive!
> I've long felt that the prices charged by most high end steel builders are not high enough to accurately reflect and compensate for the time, effort and costs that go into designing, building and marketing these instruments.
> Ditching the carbon would not go very far to dissipate the sticker shock.
> What Jim Palenscar said.

Jon Light: I'm on the same page with you, not being much of a graphics guy, I haven't yet figured out the best way to present what you'd like to see. At some point I'll try to come up with some sort of diagram that we nerds jonz for.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 3:26 pm    

Being a "I wonder how that works " kinda guy, I too, like Jon would be very curious to see a diagram or something to understand,,,,I'm wondering if it might be kinda like Anapeg's oversized pivot hole on one side of changer finger,,,or ????. I really can't make sense of Anapeg's design after seeing pics.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2017 8:45 am    

Good eye Sonny, while the new Sierra changer is executed quite differently than the Anapeg's, both use the "virtual pivot" concept. Excel, Fender PS210 and some old Rickenbacker changers also utilize this idea. I've no doubt there's other pedal steels I've not seen that have used this basic concept as well.

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 11:53 am    

No double Necks?

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 11:57 am    

The scalloping under the neck is also done on dulcimers , looks cool

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 12:22 pm    

You're correct Russell. We may consider them in the future, but currently there's no plan to do so.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 2:10 pm    

Put me in the queue for a Sierra dulcimer. Wink