INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two lever options on a project?
Tony Boadle

Skibbereen, County Cork, Ireland
Post Posted 17 May 2017 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Having long ago given up on ever locating a PSG that I could afford, I turned my attention to my 8-string SX Lap Steel.
I set it up with a 'sweetened' E7th tuning;
(lo-hi) E. G#. B. C#. E. G#. B. E.

Then, I made up a multibender-style bridge, connecting the 2nd and 3rd strings to separate pedals. I can raise the top G# to A, and the top B to C#, giving me the basic best-known PSG sounds. It's a lot of fun to play, and certainly a 'budget' part-answer to my PSG desires!

I'm now considering making up a couple of knee levers, and would greatly appreciate some ideas as to how I could best utilise them (if at all). I'd prefer to lower one or two strings rather than raise any more, the multibender bridge took a long time to make and get right...lowering some other strings would be a more attractive proposition right now.

This is a hobby instrument, recreational use only. I fully appreciate that I should be moving up to a 'proper' PSG, but I'm retired for a couple of years now, and I've accepted that even a starter will always be out of my financial reach. Hence the project!

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Regards from County Cork, Ireland.
PS: A few pics attached (hopefully!)