The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" - The Byrds - Lloyd Green steel
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 12:13 pm    

Here's another one for us aging country rockers. This tune and The Byrds entire "Sweethearts of the Rodeo" album probably started it all with pedal steel for a lot of us. Thank you Lloyd Green for a lifetime of fantastic steel. I've seen the intro tabbed here before but thought I'd take a shot at the whole song, intro, fills, and break. Hope it's close - I've been fooled before with some of Lloyd Green's grips and string combinations. Smile Comments and corrections are always welcome.
Here it is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2JnDKvuNzw

For you dobro players, at the end of the steel tab I've also included Jerry Douglas' dobro intro to You Ain't Goin' Nowhere on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Will The Circle Be Unbroken - Volume 2" album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwetPaL9ND0

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 5:20 pm    

Thanks, Jeff......can't wait to dig into this. I just picked up steel recently, and the intro was the first thing I learned.

https://youtu.be/Gk4B8L-7z10

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 6:06 pm     you aint goin' nowhere

Jeff, thanks for the tabs...all I had before was a rough idea of the intro. This will keep me busy for a while.
Lloyd Green, Jay Dee Manness, Jerry Garcia and Buddy Cage were my early heros of the PSG and were a huge influence on me.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Alexander Rehfeld

Aberdeen, Scotland
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 1:06 am    

Thank you, Jeffrey!

Mike Terry

Galesburg Il
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 3:26 am    

Jeff, thank you. Can't wait to try these !

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 5:56 am    

One of my favorite songs, thanks Jeff.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 6:29 am    

Thanks Jeff, I figured out the dobro part a few years ago but was unsure about the ending, got it now and can't wait to try it out on PSG.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 5:33 pm    

Thanks Jeff, I figured out the dobro part a few years ago but was unsure about the ending, got it now and can't wait to try it out on PSG.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 9:44 pm    

Thank you Jeff, excellent work as always!

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 7:57 am    

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. Now if someone can explain the lyrics for "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" and my other favorite Byrds tune, "My Back Pages", we'll be all set haha! Maybe it's a Dylan thing I'll never understand...

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 11:03 am    

Here's a link to a youtube version that I remotely tracked steel on. It was a school project that a studio in New Zealand was doing. They sent me the song and I tracked steel (never heard the song before). I played all through the song and sent the steel track to the studio and they used what they wanted. I'm listed on the credits for the CD as "Peddle Steel Guitar".

I used my Franklin through a Peavey NV112 and connected the XLR line out from the NV112 direct to my recording board.

CLICK ME

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 11:14 am    

Sounds great, Jack - thanks for posting. The "peddle steel" makes the song Smile

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 6:32 pm    

I nearly broke my fingers trying to learn Lloyds licks from "All I Have Are Memories", a Kevin Kelley penned tune from that record.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2017 1:49 am    

Bumpo. If you are a "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" Byrds fan, take a look at this one by Jeff. it will keep you busy on a rainy day or on several rainy days, Steve t