The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud 6139 - Pedal Bar Maintenance
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 5:02 pm    

I've had my 'new' Sho-Bud 6139 for a few days now and I've notice a few small things that needed fixing. Nothing major but things that I want to put right. The pedal bar has a couple items that I put at the top of the list.

When I first assembled my Sho-Bud, the pedal bar would not go on easily and the mounting screws were bent.

I pulled the screws and went to Lowe's to procure some replacements. I thought that the screws were 10-32 but it turns out that they were 10-24 size. I bought 10-32 screws, nuts, wing nuts (with a spare Smile ) and #10 washers.

With good screws in the bar I proceeded to investigate why the bar would not set up easily. Turns out that the notch in the pedal bar wasn't deep enough and the leg would not fit without bending the screw out, hence the bent screws. I took a bastard file and filed the bar back about 1/16th of an inch and presto the leg mounts without bending a screw.

Problem solved. My guess is that the legs are replacement legs; Sho-Bud would never have shipped the 6139 with an ill fitting pedal bar. Also notice the threads on the end of the leg. That's a microphone stand thread. The rubber foot covered it - the other leg is not threaded. Also the rubber feet were too long so I trimmed them back and now they fit properly.

The next issue is with the pedals themselves. the first pedal (A) has the pedal rod attached closer to the player that the other two pedals. There are two holes where the pedal rod connector can attach to and the first pedal is different that the other two.

Closer examination reveals that a connecting rod stud had broken off leaving a broken screw in the hole and they had simply used the other hole to screw in the replace stud rather than remove the broken screw.

I disassembled the pedals and put the broken pedal in a vise and took it to the drill press.

Since this screw is very small & very hard, an EZ-Out will not work. I filed the back side of the broken screw flat & center punched it. Then I put a drop of oil on it and started to drill. My bit cut very little and since the screw was very hard the bit would walk around the top of the screw and barley cut.

I didn't think I could drill it out; I just wanted to heat the screw up and since I was drilling on the backside, the rotation would in effect turn the screw backwards and back it out rather than tighten it in.

After 20 minutes of 'drilling' the screw suddenly loosened and I was able to get the broken part out with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I cleaned the pedal bar up a bit with Mother's and wiped the grease off the pedals. I then reassembled the pedal bar and put it back on the legs - a much smoother operation this time.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Last edited by Tony Oresteen on 28 May 2017 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 27 May 2017 5:21 pm    

good job, it is very unlikely that buyer won't need to adjust or set up guitar he just bought to his liking, it is possible, but it hardly ever happens.... even with brand new guitars, let alone used ones.... whenever I buy guitar for my personal use, I have to work on it to set it up the way I like it, I have to do the same thing with a banjos.... it is very important that buyers understand that, just because knee lever goes too far to the side, or pedals are close to the ground etc... it doesn't mean that something is wrong with the guitar, because guitar was set up for the previous owner, not the new/future one.... some guitars need more work then others.... you are setting up your new guitar to fits you, and how you like it, and once you are done, and everything is just the way you like it, this old Sho~Bud will bring you a lots of fun , and enjoyment ...

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 4:16 am     Re: Sho-Bud 6139 - Pedal Bar Maintenance

Tony Oresteen wrote:

I didn't think I could drill it out; I just wanted to heat the screw up and since I was drilling on the backside, the rotation would in effect turn the screw backwards and back it out rather than tighten it in.

That's good thinking. I'm glad it worked for you.

Mitch

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 4:36 pm    

" Sho-Bud would never have shipped the 6139 with an ill fitting pedal bar. "

I'm sorry, but BWAAAA1 I have seen a lot of screwy things on Shobuds! I have a '73 here that Shobud somehow drilled the changer end pedal rack mounting screw at an angle.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 6:09 pm    

John Billings wrote:

I'm sorry, but BWAAAA1 I have seen a lot of screwy things on Shobuds! I have a '73 here that Shobud somehow drilled the changer end pedal rack mounting screw at an angle.

John,

I stand corrected and defer to your greater knowledge. Hopfully my 6139 was not built on a Monday by a hungover Sho-Bud employee.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 6:40 pm    

Tony,
Just know that I love Shobuds! I have three of them.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 28 May 2017 8:06 pm    

John Billings wrote:

Have to concur. Sho~Bud was cranking out many, many guitars a week in those days and it was a long time before CNC milling machines. Lots of eyeballing. I've had several from that era, still have a Professional from 1970 or 71. One of the "lost serial numbers" guitars.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 4:03 am    

I'm told that it didn't occur to them to use jigs for anything, all holes individually set by hand.
I've not seen as many Buds as I'd like to have seen (yet), but delightfully wonky is an appropriate assessment.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2017 4:14 am    

On my '73 6139, with the slide-plate clamping system for the pedal bar, the pedalbar notches barely fit over the legs (holds things really tight once they're on, though). I might try filing.

On my super pro, there is a serious shim at the end plate where the width of the apron is off ..... by a lot. Doesn't affect a thing, though: guitar plays and sounds great.

It's all part of the Sho-Bud charm.