The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aluminum lap steel project
Molin Oleg

Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 5:03 am    

Good day!
I am inspired by album of Mike Neer "Steelonious" and his Clinesmith Cast Aluminum.
I am also strive for aluminum guitar. In terms of saving money I decided to produce it here in Russia – from local masters who works with metal. But these employees are not musicians and never made guitars. So there are some questions and I will be grateful for any advice!
-which scale better to choose? I have Fender FS-52 Scale length 22-1/2" and I like it but have nothing to compare with. Is it worth making longer? What it will influence?
-Which brand of aluminium better to choose? Is there risk of oxidation and fading (loose shining)?
-Which 8-string pickup to install?

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 6:45 am     Re: Aluminum lap steel project

Molin Oleg wrote:
Good day!
I am inspired by album of Mike Neer "Steelonious" and his Clinesmith Cast Aluminum.
I am also strive for aluminum guitar. In terms of saving money I decided to produce it here in Russia – from local masters who works with metal. But these employees are not musicians and never made guitars. So there are some questions and I will be grateful for any advice!
-which scale better to choose? I have Fender FS-52 Scale length 22-1/2" and I like it but have nothing to compare with. Is it worth making longer? What it will influence?
-Which brand of aluminium better to choose? Is there risk of oxidation and fading (loose shining)?
-Which 8-string pickup to install?

I built one out of aluminum a month ago. I love it. I used 1/8" x 1.5" for the sides and 1/8" for the top and bottom. The whole thing bolts together. I loved the design of the Clinesmith so I patterned mine from the CS. Mine is hollow and I added a resonator cone inside. It plays very nice. I used a 22.5" scale, but guys tell me that a longer scale length is easier to play slants. I am just a beginner and for me it doesn't matter. Personally I like the shorter overall length. I used 6061 aluminum. I stepped it down from 220, to 320, and then I used gray scotch brite to make it look uniform I put two coats of Pledge liquid floor wax on it and it does not show any finger prints.

Last edited by Bill Groner on 4 May 2017 2:01 am; edited 6 times in total

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 9:50 am    

I don't think I got a chance to congratulate you on that build when you posted it before, Bill. I admire it.

But let me correct your statement. It is just the opposite. Slants are easier on shorter scale. The longer the scale, the more extreme the slants have to be. Not at all impossible. Just more angle is necessary.
Longer scale means greater tension on the strings for the same tuning. This helps enhance sustain. It does not mean that short scale guitars do not sustain.

(It is unfortunate that it is necessary to write my post this way, covering every counter-argument, but maybe it will help prevent annoying posts with the rolling eyes and all). Rolling Eyes

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 10:29 am    

Jon Light wrote:
I don't think I got a chance to congratulate you on that build when you posted it before, Bill. I admire it.

But let me correct your statement. It is just the opposite. Slants are easier on shorter scale. The longer the scale, the more extreme the slants have to be. Not at all impossible. Just more angle is necessary.
Longer scale means greater tension on the strings for the same tuning. This helps enhance sustain. It does not mean that short scale guitars do not sustain.

(It is unfortunate that it is necessary to write my post this way, covering every counter-argument, but maybe it will help prevent annoying posts with the rolling eyes and all). Rolling Eyes

Thanks Jon. I told you I am new as in at it about 3 months now, please pardon any errors I make on my posts. I hope I did not lead anyone astray. I get on Youtube and just marvel over how these guys play..........I can build them much better than I can play them.........I have 50 years experience as a machinist and 3 or 4 months playing a lap steel, so maybe in 49 years, 9 months, I will be up to snuff. Wink

Molin Oleg

Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 2:32 pm    

Bill, your post provoked me to start building actually! Thank you for detailed information. Now I am gathering all advices and comprehend it! Jon, thanks for your amends.

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 5:38 pm    

Molin - Truly a beautiful build.
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Molin Oleg

Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 6:55 am    

Good day

I am choosing a pickup. Do you have any opinion about Lace SC8 8 String Alumitone Single Coil
http://www.lacemusic.com/Lace_Shop/proddetail.php?prod=Alumitone_SC8

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 9:46 am    

I have build several 10 string steels. On the middle one I used a Lace Really liked best!

The last one I build was a double to check if I liked playing it. I build it using less expansive parts. Think I will build another one using better parts I will use a Lace for sure.
Joe Elk

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 2:12 pm    

I don't know how much you've been searching, you may already have seen these:

http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/

http://steelguitarbuilder.com/forum/index.php

The first is a general instrument builder site, the second is exclusive to steel guitars. And just the links on this site can keep you going for a long time. It's kind of a UTOPIA out there, you sure won't ever run out of people eager to yak about building stuff!