The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  It's a Sin To Tell A Lie - C6th Arrangement
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 5:48 am    

Here's an easy, basic melody arrangement in C6th tuning of a fun old tune. Enjoy!

Probably my favorite rendition of the tune ... the great Vance Terry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q643W_pnjDw

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 5:50 am    

Oh thanks Andy, I love that tune...I play that one thumb style on the 6 string guitar, but have never worked it out on the C6th...its a great tune. Thanks !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 5:55 am    

Thanks Andy...I love this tune.

The first time I heard it was Steve Goodman's acoustic guitar version back in the 1970's and I never forgot it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36iEFjvlrE

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 6:00 am    

You're both welcome and Thanks, Jeff. I never heard the Steve Goodman version before - terrific! Such a shame his life ended way too soon.

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 4:06 pm    

Nice one, Andy. Love this tune and it is on my 'to do' list for A6 along with 'I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter'. However, I keep getting them mixed up. Starting with one and finishing with the other. Interesting to note that the changes are pretty much identical, one written in 1935 and the other in 1936.

And here is a swinging version that was on Facebook recently (unfortunately you have to be on FB to view it) by the Quebe sisters from Texas. Hope the link works because they sound great!

https://www.facebook.com/normansrareguitarscali/videos/vb.137305620700/10154149187285701/?type=2&theater

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 15 May 2017 4:39 pm    

Guy: what is the small "3" in the corner of the C chord box and the "5" in the corner of the D7 chord box in the B Section of "It's a Sin" ? Also is there a significance as to which corner it's noted in? Thanks in advance!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 4:39 pm    

There are lots of videos of the Quebe Sisters doing "Its A Sin to Tell a Lie"...here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOKteC-pHxQ
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 15 May 2017 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 4:58 pm    

Jeff Garden wrote:
Guy: what is the small "3" in the corner of the C chord box and the "5" in the corner of the D7 chord box in the B Section of "It's a Sin" ? Also is there a significance as to which corner it's noted in? Thanks in advance!

Jeff, that would be inversion/bass note. So that is an A7 with the 5th in the bass. ie E, giving a smooth movement in the bass of F to E to D. I don't think there is any significance in which corner it goes in.

There are plenty of links on the web to the whole book in pdf form. Free downloads. It is called Anthologie-des-Grilles-de-Jazz

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 16 May 2017 2:51 am    

G'Day, Guy and thank you very much. There's a lot of information packed into that chart!

Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 12:33 pm    

Here is version from an acetate I found a while back.Jeanne Black on vocals with Speedy West on Steel. Live on the Hometown Jamboree 1956....Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJTaHBBn530

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 4:26 pm    

Chris, that was very cool...thanks for posting that...nice playing by Speedy and all the rest, naturally !