The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud 70's pedal bar-mount volume pedal info
Keane Eng

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 3:52 pm    

I acquired a Sho-Bud guitar that came with it's own volume pedal. While looking up more info about it, I thought I'd share some photos of mine, and the info I've come across.

Yes, please share any of your own info about this volume pedal by clicking Reply below...

I thought I was familiar with volume pedals, but apparently not. I'm finding that when it comes to PSG, the volume pedal is a serious, personal topic. The volume pedal to PSG is like, what the Volume knob is to electric guitar. So many different brands, construction, implementations... and price points.

This is a passive, potentiometer and string-based volume pedal with a single Input (Switchcraft 1/4" open-frame mono), and a single Output (same as Input), which came with a 1976 Sho-Bud Pro I. No power requirements, no Min. Volume level, and not even any springs. Sometimes you'll find springs on volume pedals, used for adding tension or lag to the string; other time you'll find springs used for adding a heel-return, or natural heel-return feature.

The potentiometer is an Allen Bradley (aka. A-B), J-Type, logarithmic A-500kΩ type. The string looks like... a white string made of cotton; more substantial than the type your mom used to tie a chicken before roasting it whole, but not quite a shoe string.

This volume pedal is unique in that, it mounts directly to the instrument - via a mounting adapter and the guitar's pedal bar - and only contacts the ground with its back-feet, while most other volume pedals, especially after-market pedals, sit fully on the floor. Some attach to the pedal bar using an S-shaped clamp (Hilton, Goodrich, etc.), and others sit stand-alone (Ernie Ball, Morley, BOSS, etc.), but this is the first time I've seen one use the pedal bar or guitar as part of it's feet/stance.

Ernie Ball sells Ernie Ball-specific strings, Goodrich sells Goodrich replacement strings, but I have yet to see Sho-Bud replacement strings, especially since Gretsch has not produced anything with the Sho-Bud name since 1985(?).

People seem to use fly fishing leader line to replace their Sho-Bud volume pedal strings with, because it's thin, has some friction, and stays very static (ie. does not stretch or give). If you see photos of a volume pedal with a smooth, thin, neon yellow or pale green cord, chances are it is leader line for fly fishing.

I found someone's own, written instructions on how to re-install a string onto a Sho-Bud volume pedal, but I wonder if there were ever any instructions available from Sho-Bud?

(Above photo) The two screws are missing their rubber feet, and along with each nut, allows you to set the 'heel' height of the pedal. Set them so the 'heel' of the pedal clears the ground. If anyone has a photo showing one with it's original feet, please share?

(Above photo) That hole in the L-bracket where the string feeds through is a point of failure; you can tell. See how my string has started to fray?

(Above photo) 'AB' stands for 'Allen Bradley'. 'A-500K-OHM' stands for 'Audio' taper (aka. logarithmic), and 500kΩ. The spring-tensioned screw is for attaching the pedal to the mounting bracket. Wiring: Black = Input (to Tip of jack closest to the heel), Yellow = Output (to Tip of jack closest to the toe), and Brown = Shield (to Sleeve of jack closest to heel); the Sleeves of both jack are electrically connected to one another through the aluminum chassis.

This pedal is actually in my possession, so if you would like to see anything specific, just holler...

Some posts I found regarding the string and wiring:

Some posts I found regarding the bracket:

Last edited by Keane Eng on 20 Nov 2016 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
    Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 7:43 pm    

You need the bracket that mounts to the pedal bar and the pedal then hooks to it with the "U" slot.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
    Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 7:27 am    

Mine has what looks like fly fishing line for string.
    Do a search, someone posted a primer for replacing the string.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
    Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 9:31 am    

That looks more like a piece of rope rather than string. Oft times I've used a piece of fishing leader for a string.
    I believe those screws you talked about are used for adjusting the height of the pedal.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
    Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 10:15 am    

Yeah, I would suggest changing out the string, some people have suggested either fishing line or landscaping twine.

I have the same pedal:

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
    Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 10:55 am    

The foot screws adjust the height of the rear of the pedal.
    They usually have rubber bumpers to protect the floor, your local hardware store will have them

Keane Eng

Alberta, Canada
    Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 5:29 pm    

Kevin Mincke wrote:
    You need the bracket that mounts to the pedal bar and the pedal then hooks to it with the "U" slot.

Thanks Kevin,
    Yes, I've got the bracket and slotted pedal bar. Although, my bracket is missing one of the screws. Looks like a metric, socket-head, water bottle cage mounting screw for a bicycle. Interested in a replacement for that, too. Thanks!

Keane Eng

Alberta, Canada
    Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 5:31 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
    The foot screws adjust the height of the rear of the pedal.
    They usually have rubber bumpers to protect the floor, your local hardware store will have them

Thanks Lane,
    I knew those screws had to be for something... mystery solved.

Keane Eng

Alberta, Canada
    Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 5:41 pm    

Bill A. Moore wrote:
    Mine has what looks like fly fishing line for string.
    Do a search, someone posted a primer for replacing the string.

Thanks Bill,
    I think I found that post you mentioned...
    I like the idea of fly fishing line; thin, static and smooth, except I don't fish... But 22 ga. stranded hookup wire looks to have about the same feel. I like the vintage-correctness of the string that it came with from the factory, but I'm not against swapping it for something that'll operate better, and just store the original for safe keeping.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
    Post  Posted 18 Nov 2016 7:39 am    

I really don't think the cap screw is metric, all the fasteners on my Bud are SAE.

Judd Pipes

Norfolk,Virginia
    Post  Posted 15 Jul 2017 2:39 am     Pedal mount

Thanks to all I see now how to install it. Thanks