The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Knee Lever Flags
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 4:41 am    

I'm putting this up because I received an email asking about them. I no longer build or sell them...

Knee Lever Flag Mods...

History: Some steel guitar manufacturers use the edge of the knee lever material
against the knee of the player. Because I am short, I found this to be very uncomfortable
and looked to add flags to “all” of my knee levers. After a couple failed attempts, I came
on what I think is a great solution. A Knee Lever Flag that attaches to the existing knee
lever using Velcro and can be easily remove.

Material: I wanted them to be made out of material that I could easily find and was soft
enough to be worked with ordinary hand tools. As it turned out, the local Lowes
Hardware store has such a material that is fairly inexpensive. Aluminum bar stock in
several lengths, that is 1 & ½ inch wide. Along with a thin wall aluminum channel stock
that as ½ inch rails and can be gotten in channel width, that will fit over my existing knee
levers.

Lever dimensions: I found, that about the perfect length for the standard knee levers
was 5 inches X 1 ½ inches (the width of the stock). Remember because these are
attached using Velcro, they can be moved somewhat to accommodate a taller or shorter
player. The vertical lever flag, I found needed to be a little longer on my steel and 6
inches worked perfectly.

Construction: I used a “Hack Saw” to cut the flat bar stock and “Channel” stock. I then
filed the corners to about a ¼ in radius. I cut the bar stock (after the first trial) ¼ in
shorter then the Knee Lever Flag. This insures the channel sits with in the flag material
when assembled and in stalled so no sharp edges can catch on clothing. You can
imagine how I found this to be necessary. All edges are filed and sanded round and
polished. The standard knee lever flags are assembled with the channel right on the
edge of the Flag. The Vertical Knee Lever is assembled with the channel set back about
a ¼ inch from the Flags edge. Every steel is different and placement must be
determined before assembled. It is necessary to rough up the back of the Channel and
the Flag where the two pieces will be Epoxied together. Then clean with Alcohol or
Acetone. I used J-B Weld, Two Part Epoxy, not the quick dry to glue the pieces together.
Lowes also sells this. It does not take much as the pieces sit flat against one another.
About a ¼ inch dot of each, Hardener and Epoxy, mixed well and applied only to the
area where the two pieces meet. The two pieces must be held together tightly during
the gluing process to ensure a very good bond. I used clothes spins to do this, you will
be able to think of something that will work for you. Set aside and don't touch during the
gluing process.

Assembly: After bonded and you have polished as you want, Clean in side the Channel
with Alcohol or Acetone. Cut a strip of “Industrial Grade” Velcro as long as the Channel
and just wide enough to go down inside the Channel. I install it into the channel using
firm pressure. I cut both types of Velcro, loop and hook, the same length (the one for the
existing knee lever may be longer for later adjustment). Clean the existing knee lever
with Alcohol or Acetone and apply the opposite Velcro to the edge that will mate up with
the new Knee Lever Flag. Attach using firm pressure. Wala, done. This takes some
effort but will be well worth it in comfort and ease of use.

Note of caution: These flags will wear your existing knee levers slightly where the
materials touch and rub against one another. I advise using tape where the materials
touch and rub. If not it can wear off finish or anodize. Be advised! Questions? Email me.

Good luck, My best to you...
Dick Sexton

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 9:57 am    

Very clever Dick. I like it.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 11:17 am    

Elegant, classy, helpful, and home made. Four thumbs up.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 12:51 pm    

I kept missing LKL and couldn't set the lever any further back. So I did a temporary mod by screwing a piece of scrap angle to the lever. That was two years ago. I tell everyone it took weeks to design.