The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Legend XL Signature Series
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 9:43 am    

David Wright wrote:
.......Mitchell is the greatest !!!!!.. he is a Great player.......

He most certainly is. Very Happy Very Happy

I know a man in Northern Ireland who would love to get his hands on one of these guitars! And he can't play a note unfortunately. Laughing Laughing
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 10:04 am    

Ken Byng wrote:

I know a man in Northern Ireland who would love to get his hands on one of these guitars! And he can't play a note unfortunately. Laughing Laughing

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that kind of thinking. As beautiful as this guitar is, it's purpose is to be used to create music. It's not a conversation piece or a piece of furniture.

IMHO, too many people think that owning instruments is an end in itself, forgetting that they are essentially tools. What matters is what's done with them.

There are people here who can make beautiful music on a rubber band stretched over a saw horse. They are the ones instruments like this one are made for.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 1:58 pm    

Well Mike - I hate to tell you this with your views, but the gentleman concerned has bought 3 top of the range MSA guitars in the past. He is one of MSA's best customers, and they are happy to sell their instruments to him.

Sorry, but that's how it is. Laughing
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 4:45 pm    

WOW!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 5:24 pm    

Ken, it this guitar going to somebody who doesn't play?

That just doesn't seem right to me.

Kyle Bennett

Dallas, TX USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2017 5:56 pm    

Mike,
The owner of this MSA D12 Legend XL SS 9 x 9 is a player. I don't provide names without permission. Pricing will be on our website next week. I'll also post pics of another new MSA D10 Legend XL Signature Series next week. Here are a couple of previews.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 2:12 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Ken, it this guitar going to somebody who doesn't play?

That just doesn't seem right to me.

I didn't say that the guitar above was going to a non player Mike - please re-read my words. Kyle knows who I am talking about, and we are not going to name him. I said that the person I referred to would like get his hands on one of these (MSA Legend XL Signature Series) guitars as he already owns a couple of Legends.

I think the new Signature series is 2017 technology with a nod to steel guitars of yore that had inlaid wood necks. I don't own an MSA, but I will say that the Legend XL Signature guitar is an instrument that ticks all of my boxes for a very desirable and bespoke guitar. The new owner of the D12 guitar can't be anything but delighted with the finished project, although a D12 is a formidable instrument. I know, as I have owned one. Very Happy

Finally it would be interesting if Mitchell Smithey posted a player's view on the tone of the new wood neck MSA range compared to those with metal necks.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 3:08 am    

Ken,,,
I have had both wood & metal necks...For me, no big difference ... I like the l@@k's of wood neck..this is "MY"view on the tone difference...as you know, tone and all that is viewed differently by each player.. Razz Cool Idea

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 4:19 am    

Thank you David - much appreciated.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 4:59 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
I think the new Signature series is 2017 technology with a nod to steel guitars of yore that had inlaid wood necks.

I think this 'retro' detailing is what sets the style for this guitar--the inlay, the sun/tobacco burst finish beautifully done....
It doesn't express tone but is a lovely thing to look at while you do. Love seeing this trend from MSA.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 5:05 am    

My bad Ken. I'm glad the guitar is going to somebody who will use it.

Jim Palenscar used to have both a regular Legend with an aluminum beck, and one of the anniversary Legends with a wood neck. He eventually sold the older guitar, but before he did, I listened to both side by side. They sounded slightly, but not significantly different.

I really liked the L-frets. Some day I might have them installed on one of my guitars.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 7:35 am     msa

I'm waiting for the premium deluxe pro limited edition super XL signature heritage platinum plus custom legend superior model.

haha. just kiddin...looks great..congrats! JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 12:41 pm    

In answer to Ken's question, my opinion between wood and metal necks is fairly simple. To my ears, I don't hear much, if any difference. The pickups have much more effect on the overall tone between each new production MSA than the neck. Each piece of wood however, does impart a bit of color to the overall sound and this is really hard to quantify. Mark uses the best wood he can find based on his experience as a Master Woodsmith.

Aluminum necks on some of the vintage guitars did seem to have a big effect on tone, but not in consistent ways. For example, the Pro-3 Sho-Bud has a different tone than the wood neck models, but not in the same way the Emmons does between the different necks. Those necks do however have more mass as a whole than ours and that is another variable.

I concur with David that the wood neck guitars look a little nicer, but I would be perfectly happy with either on a gig.

As always we strive at MSA to build the finest, most player friendly, and beautiful guitar possible.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 4:56 pm    

MSA MSA MSA

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 7:51 pm    

Wow.
I love the way MSA guitars play, too.
In regards to the differences in tone, wouldn't an aluminum neck on mica be the most different than all wood? (As opposed to a different neck type) Or are the differences between different MSA guitars less than other brands?
John

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 1:19 am    

Thank you Mitchell for that honest and perceptive opinion.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 1:25 am    

John Goux wrote:
wouldn't an aluminum neck on mica be the most different than all wood?

To the best of my knowledge, MSA never made a mica guitar with an aluminum neck.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 3:46 pm    

Someday I'll trade my 10/12 for one of these.

Carlos Polidura

Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 31 May 2017 1:34 pm    

I hope is not a dumb question but, is MSA still producing guitars?
Carlos

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 3:36 am    

Yes they are........

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 9:23 am    

Is the new signature model the same as the limited edition anniversary model?

Kyle Bennett

Dallas, TX USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 1:44 pm    

Mike,
The MSA Signature Series is our Legend XL, equipped with with Lfrets, 3D Logo, and custom Giles finish.
Pricing, pictures, and information is now available on our website. www.msapedalsteels.com Very Happy