The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need something similiar to sound of tubefex
Rick Eaves

Maple Grove, MO - U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 8:55 am    

Help me out players! I have playing my steel through a Peavey "Tubefex" for about 20+ years. It has gotten old and apparently unfixable. Have sent it to 3 different electronics repair shops (including Peavey}. May work for a little while then starts cutting out. Anyway, is there another type of preamp with effects somewhat like the tubefex. My amp is an Evans RE200. Just love the "fat" sound the tubefex gives it.

Jim Thompson

Washington, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 5:20 am    

Why don't you just get another Tubefex? They show up for sale here on the forum all the time.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 8:51 am    

"All the time"?
I don't think so. Whoa!

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 1:26 pm    

Put on want to buy and maybe some one has a good one they don't use anymore.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 1:33 pm    

The Avid Eleven is one to consider. It has some Bruce Bouton pedal steel programs in it and can be user programmed. Its also designed to be a recording interface.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElevenRack

I had a Transtube Fex and even 12 years ago there were very few parts. I sent it to Peavey and they had to rob a board from a test unit to repair it as no new boards.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 6:04 pm    

The Tubefex is just a multi-effects box. I had one for a long time and liked it a lot. I also had a couple of Profex 11's, they were fine too. But you can learn to set up good programs with any multi-effect unit if you work with it. I have been using the Digitech RP155 for quite a while and I like it better than the Tubefex. It can be connected to your computer and you can make all the necessary adjustments with the computer. If a friend has a nice program for the 155, you can easily copy it and load it to your unit. Just take the time to learn how to use whatever multi-effect box that you choose, and you will be able to get the sound that you want.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 7:03 pm    

I'm having good luck with Zoom effects, I use a G3 for steel and a G5 for guitar. I have some others that sound good too, but these are my "flavor of the week".

I used Digitech 2112's for about 15 years then got into the "smaller and lighter" mode.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 2:34 am    

The Tubefex is both a preamp and effects unit. If the user is connecting it to a power amp he will need a similar setup, a unit that is both or (1) a preamp and (2) an effects unit. That is why I referenced the Eleven unit as it is both a preamp and effects.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 4:50 am    

Of course you are right, Jack. I used the Tubefex and the Profex with power amps and dual speakers sometimes, but most of the time I just used it with an amp. Learning to work with the multi-effects is the key, I believe.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 4:52 am    

Both of the Zooms I mentioned and the Digitech 2112 are preamp/effects units. I have used the G3 with a Peavey PX300 powered cabinet and it works fine. All of these three units have XLR direct outs.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.