The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ???? Win 10
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 5:52 am    

Well my deal for a replacement of my win7 computer so I wound up with a HP win10,,,,,I'm doing my best to make friends with this win10.
One thing that is starting to irritate me is having to re-enter my password everytime I leave it for an hour or so and come back,,,,have to put in my password again,,,,I'm wearing out those particular keys on the keypad,,LOL!!!!!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 6:29 am    

I know it can be done. Someone on the forum told me how to get past the lock screen, but I forget how I did it.
Did a quick search but couldn't find the posts about avoiding signing in every time.

Win 10 is OK when you get used to the idea. It's not that much different. If they say it's better, OK then.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 8:00 am    

Take a look at Start, Settings, Personalization, Lock screen and uncheck "On resume, display logon screen".

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 12 May 2017 9:31 am    

when I follow that line I don't have a "on resume display logon screen"?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 10:06 am    

I didn't find that either. It said 'some settings are managed by your organization,' meaning I think that it requires an administrator account.
I don't have one.
So good luck.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 10:15 am    

"netplwiz" will get you to the screen where you can uncheck to require a password. This will actually require you to input your password (twice) but after that you shouldn't have to. When you boot up, Windows will bypass asking you for a password.

To get a Command Prompt, Press the Windows Key and R key. Enter netplwiz (see screenshot below) and then Click OK. The "User Accounts" panel will come up. Uncheck the box "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". A panel will come up and have you enter your password twice.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 12 May 2017 11:01 am    

Hey Jack,,,, thanks a million! I would like to have it so that when I power up in the morning, or whenever, that a password is needed for start up,,,BUT NOT every time I leave for time 30 minutes or a couple of hours,,,that I have to put in a password????

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 11:14 am    

I'll have to check and see if that is possible.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 2:50 pm    

See if this is what you want.
Settings/Accounts/Sign in options

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 3:59 pm     Re: ???? Win 10

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
I'm wearing out those particular keys on the keypad
Not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but if you want to bypass the password BS, just go to

Settings > Accounts > Sign-In Options, and don't enter a password. Click through it with nothing entered as a password, and Windows won't ask you for one.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 9:46 pm    

Jack posted the closest good reply to the OP's question. He wants to use his password to sign into Windows once per startup, but not after resuming after being away and the PC has been idle for x number of minutes. I looked into his suggestion and discovered that I lack sufficient privileges as a Standard User.

Anybody else who follows best security practices will also log into Windows as a Standard User for the daily business and browsing. This reduces your likelihood of remote exploitation by over 90% vs an Administrator level account.

To affect the change in the "Resume" function that requires a password on Resuming from Sleep, log out of the Standard User account and into your Administrator level account. Go to the Settings icon, then to Accounts > Sign-in options > Require sign-in and use the button option Never to disable the requirement to log in after resuming from sleep mode. Restart the computer and when you log into your Standard User account, you'll not be bothered with a password demand when the PC has been asleep from inactivity. You still will need to log in at the initial Welcome Screen (during the boot process), as usual.

Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 9:53 am    

I'm the only one who ever uses my PC. Only time I do use password protection is when we're traveling, in case of a burglary. The rest of the time, I just don't see the point in it.

Last edited by Dave Potter on 13 May 2017 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 13 May 2017 10:15 am    

Hey guys,,the "sign in" option was the one!! Maybe I'll be able to make friends with this thing after all,,,,THANKS A MILLION!!!

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 13 May 2017 3:18 pm    

Well,,,it looks like that DIDN"T solve the issue,,,still have to enter password. Everything is marked "never" that I can find remotely related. Anymore ideas????

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 3:32 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Well,,,it looks like that DIDN"T solve the issue,,,still have to enter password. Everything is marked "never" that I can find remotely related. Anymore ideas????

Sonny, doing away with passwords, if that's what you're trying to do, isn't hard at all.

Just click the "Windows" icon at the bottom left of your taskbar, click the "Gear" icon (settings), and click "Accounts", then "Sign In Options".

One of the options there is "Password". If you already have one, re-do that section and leave the password fields blank, if you don't want to use one.

If you DO want to use a password, enter it, and you'll be asked for it until the end of time, and whenever Windows, in its infinite wisdom, thinks you need to enter it again (and, again, and again, and....).

Have fun, and always remember, there's a special place in HELL for the bottom-feeders who make it necessary for the rest of us decent folks to have to have "passwords".

If you ever decide to go sans-password, and want to just skip the "login" nonsense, as I do, and just boot straight to your desktop, there's a way to do that too.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 2:40 am    

One other option is to do what I have setup. My PC, once its powered on, does not go into standby. If its powered on it stays that way. The only thing I do is "power off" the monitor after a specified time. There is a slight trade off on the AC power the PC uses but relatively insignificant.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 14 May 2017 4:36 am    

Thanks Jack,,,,that sounds like what I want. I shut down at night and then power up in the morning, run malware and set for the day (WITHOUT having to enter password everytime I leave my computer and come back). I guess you're say "power off" the moniter in order to save the screen? Can that be done on a laptop?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 4:58 am    

I don't know about a laptop. I'll have to dig mine out (I have one but rarely use it) and try it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 5:33 am    

According to an answer on the www.tenforums.com the monitor can be "powered off" on a laptop just like a desktop. I haven't tried it just going by a response on that forum.

However, considering its a laptop, I wouldn't want to have it powered on continuously all day. Laptops do not have the cooling that a desktop has and are not designed for continuous operation like a desktop. I realize people do this but they are not designed for that and over time it can lead to premature component failures.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 6:03 am    

There are options in Win 10 "Power Options" settings for what happens when you close the lid on a laptop, but choose not to shut down totally for intermittent use. I'd still power it down with the "Shut Down" command for long periods of non-use, but for intermittent use, it works fine.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 15 May 2017 6:56 am    

Well, by "checking" all the "never"s I could find regarding start/sleep I achieved exactly opposite of what I wanted. When I power off in the evening and then power up in the morning, I don't have to sign in with password,,,so, I check emails, go eat breakfast etc, come back to computer,,,HAVE TO ENTER PASSWORD!!!!! Wiz,,Jack,,Dave,,,somebody,,help!!

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 7:56 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Well, by "checking" all the "never"s I could find regarding start/sleep I achieved exactly opposite of what I wanted. When I power off in the evening and then power up in the morning, I don't have to sign in with password,,,so, I check emails, go eat breakfast etc, come back to computer,,,HAVE TO ENTER PASSWORD!!!!! Wiz,,Jack,,Dave,,,somebody,,help!!

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 at work, which I upgraded to Windows 10. When I get a chance I will check out my own account and power settings and post them in a reply. I have it set to login with a password at startup (boot up), but not after periods of inactivity.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 12:52 pm    

Okay Sonny;
I'm at my shop's Dell Latitude laptop and have confirmed that the following settings will allow me to login with a password at boot up, but will not ask again after awakening from sleep, or from closing the lid, which also puts it into sleep mode.

First, log into your computer administrator level account. You cannot do this from a standard user account.

Next, go to (Start) Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options and set the option to NEVER for "If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?" Do anything else that can only be done from this account, then log off.

Log into your Standard User account and open Settings > Personalization and set whatever timeouts you want for shutting off the monitor (screen timeout), going to sleep and what happens when you close the lid.

From henceforth your laptop should only require a password when you either login at boot up, or when you change accounts, or have to enter the admin password at a UAC permission prompt.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 16 May 2017 6:00 am    

Thanks Wiz!! How do I tell if I'm logged in as user or administrator,,,and how do I change from one to another?

PS,,well I just went to accounts and see that I am logged in as admin. How do I become both admin AND user?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 9:07 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Thanks Wiz!! How do I tell if I'm logged in as user or administrator,,,and how do I change from one to another?

PS,,well I just went to accounts and see that I am logged in as admin. How do I become both admin AND user?

It appears that you are an administrator level USER. That is the default configuration of a new install of Windows. It is up to the computer's owner to create a less privileged user account for their daily browsing and carrying on business.

Windows 10 has hardened up a lot of the vulnerabilities in an Admin account from previous versions, making it slightly less risky to use on a daily basis. You are not actually THE Administrator of the operating system. You are a less privileged Admin, kinda like a line boss or supervisor.

If you wish to increase your safety against remote exploitation or traps on web pages springing without a notification, create another user account with Administrator privileges (which you can do as AN Administrator). Log into that account to setup its Desktop and libraries, then log out of it. Make sure you set a good password on that new account! Do NOT disable UAC Prompts.

After you have created a new Admin level account, logged into and out of it (and saved the new password in a safe place), log back into the account you have been using all along. When the start up items have settled down, right-click on the Start Button and left-select Control Panel. Click to launch User Accounts, then Change Account Type. Enter your new Administrator password at the UAC Prompt. You will be presented with both your new and current user accounts. Select your current account to change. Click on Change the account type. Click on Standard, then press the button below it labeled Change Account Type. You should log out and back into this account. It will have all of your icons, programs, files and settings as before. But, you will have fewer privileges on that computer and will have to use the new Administrator password in UAC Prompts whenever you do something that requires Admin privileges.

If you find you cannot happily operate as a Standard User, repeat the above process and elevate your privileges back to Administrator. Just don't lose the password for the new admin account! You can then keep or delete that extra admin account.

If you have no need to share files, disable File Sharing (another subject). If you connect to the Internet through a router, setup strong security to lock it down against remote access and nearby intruders, which includes disabling Guess Access.

What you have to gain from operating as a Standard User is a 90%+ reduction in exploitability from drive-by exploit attacks. This when coupled with a reputable anti malware program and common sense with emails can save you from ransomware and other nasties in circulation on the Interwebs. Also, always set your PC to automatically receive Windows (and Flash) updates!