The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Size of D10 Fessy vs Mullen G2
Jake L

Grapevine, Texas
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 5:42 pm    

I've never played a Fessenden to compare the size to say, a Mullen G2 or a Carter. I had both a Zum and an Emmons, and found that they were both physically a little to big to be comfortable. Can anyone with experience with both give me some idea how they compare size wise? Thank You!

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 7 May 2017 6:20 am    

The Mullen guitars (only have experience with PRP'S and RP's) have a shorter body than most that I have owned. In fact, had a nice D2F cover left when I sold my last D-10 and it was a bit too snug for even a GFI. Fessenden's on the other hand are larger bodied guitars.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 12:57 pm    

Hi Jake,

I own a Mullen RP and a Carter D10, and the Carter is not as deep in the body as the Mullen. Put side-by-side the difference is clearly visible. I don't have both of them here to measure, but the Carter is significantly lighter than the Mullen (or a Fessenden D10). Not sure about length though. My Carter measures 32 inches in length.

The Carter is a nice lighweight steel with awesome tone and a very easy mechanism to maintain (I have Alumitones on it). The Mullen is a different tone, different feel when playing, but smooth as butter and stays put on-stage if you get a little "vigorous". That said, the Carter has never "gone for a walk" on-stage either.

I also have a Williams D10, which is a lot lighter than it looks, even though the body looks about the same depth as the Mullen. Lightweight thin-wall stainless-steel legs came with it and they make a big difference to the weight in the case.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.