The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George L cable .155 or .225?
Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 12:16 pm    

Thinking of upgrading to George L cable. I know they both have the same capacitance, so I gather it's a matter of preference. Does the .225 lay better than the .155? Any recommendations?

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 1:23 pm    

Personally I prefer the .225, Tommy. About 10 years ago I wanted to rewire my guitar pedalboard and ordered a spool of .155. I'm sure it was just a mental thing but the .155 just didn't feel right to me. I wound up exchanging it for the .225 and have been very happy with using .225 for everything in my rig (instrument cable, effects, etc). I've been very satisfied with George L's...if you're going to be making a lot of connections I would recommend also getting their cable tester and keeping it handy with your gear. It's great for initial setup and later troubleshooting although I have had extremely few issues over the years. Quality product!

Here's the Q/A from the George L website:
Q: What is the difference between .155 or .225
diameter cable?
A: .155 Diameter Cable is The Original High-End
Cable! Use it for home, studio, stage – wherever! Many
players use it for pedal boards racks, sequencers,
keyboards and electronic drums. This is the same
cable that we use in our effects kits! .225 Diameter
Cable was created for the player that enjoyed the feel
and weight of traditional instrument cable. It utilizes
the same cable interior as the .155 but has a larger
core. The sound quality is exactly the same as the .
155. It remains a popular choice for players running
stage lengths as well as snakes for your guitar rig.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 1:45 pm    

Be advised: The GL connectors used on the two cable types are not interchangable.
I know that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, FWIW, a lot of guys seem to like using the cable, but soldering on traditional connectors. I guess they seem to think that it is a more rugged connection. I have been using the GL 0.155 cable and connectors for years, and have had one connection go flaky. It was fixed in minutes.

There are other similar choices out there, but I'm more than satisfied with GL.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 2:04 pm    

FWIW, the .155 cable is more flexible, for rolling up. I've got a 1ft, 3ft, and a 12 ft, all with straight connectors, that I primarily use for my pedal steel.
I've also got a 22ft .225 that I like for all my other instruments. They've been great cables...one of my best investments thus far.
Might I add, Bill Ferguson is a great source for George L's, plus a few other oddities we can't live without!

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 2:45 pm     George L

I use all George L cables and Bill Ferguson always take care of me!
Thanks Bill, I received the 2 black cables today!

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 7:21 am    

Thanks for the input. Still sort of divided opinions between 155 and 225. I'm not so concerned about rolling it up as I am about how flat it lays on stage. Sounds like either is a good choice.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 11:41 am    

I know there are exceptions, but the .155 seems to be the cable of choice for most steelers. It lays flat on the stage and takes up much less room in your packaseat.

About the only people that order .225 from me are 6 string and bass players. They like the feel of the larger jacket and they usually have plenty of room in their guitar cases.

I will be happy to help you with whatever you decide.

And remember 3 things:
George L's products are warranted for life (ie, bad plugs or a bad piece of cable).

If you should accidentally pull an end off the cable, it takes a sharp pocket knife and a small screwdriver to repair in under 5 minutes. You can't do that with a soldered connection.

There is a reason that George L's is called the "Clear Cable". It will clean up your sound.

Let me know if I can be of service: bferguson1947@gmail.com

And thanks for the plug Edward and Dale. I value your opinions and business!
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 11:43 am    

If you're concerned about cable laying flat, I'd suggest that you'd like the 225 better. The 155 is nicer to handle, but can get a little curled up when stored in cool temps.

Truth be told, I have no issues using either one. I like them both.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 12:24 pm    

On the .155.
When you uncurl it, just pull it through your hand, snugly, and it will lay flat.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 2:36 am    

Tommy Mc wrote:
Thanks for the input. Still sort of divided opinions between 155 and 225. I'm not so concerned about rolling it up as I am about how flat it lays on stage. Sounds like either is a good choice.

I use all .155's...and they don't like to lay flat on stage. You tend to have to fuss with them a bit. I use quite an assortment, for steel, fiddle and banjo. I do like the sound

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 3:57 am    

I've been using both since they were introduced (1980's?) and have no problems with them lying (laying?) flat on the floor.

Is it time for a tutorial on the proper way to coil a cable?

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 6:22 am    

I have used the .155 since the 80s and prefer the straight ends over the angle ends.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 11:09 am    

I have both and the .225 does lay flatter and I like the sound better, personal preference of course. Read older posting from one of the best out there.

Randy Beavers

posted 04 January 2005 06:30 AM profile
Johnny Cox and I went through a spell where we experimented with just about everything imaginable. We would try a Nashville 400 preamp into a Mossvalve power amp. Then to a JBL, EV, Black Widow, etc. This is just one of several combinations. The number of cables running around the living room to hook up all our trials kinda looked like a bowl of black spaghetti. It took about all of the cables he and I owned for these experiments. Then one day we started listening to the difference in sounds from different cables. This is something we had both assumed would not make much of a difference as long as it was a decent cable with good connections. The only cables that didn't sound good were the cheap ones with molded ends. We both had a collection of George L's, Bill Lawrence, and Scotty's Blue. Something else we were surprised at was the difference between the small and large cable. It's not that the larger cable had lost highs, they were still there as much as with the smaller cable, but that there were more lows. Not a muddy sound but just larger. Some people would probably not like the added lows, and some will. So you have the preference. Today I still use the larger cable. I have tried some of the very expensive cables like "Monster Cable", but to me the George L's and the Lawrence in the larger diameter sounds as good as anything out there. I'd like to try the new Lawrence to see if it's better that my old.
------------------
Randy