The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Excel resto project
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 9:10 am    

I don't get this.. The seller is a long time forumite, and I was never aware of any issues such as this. How could this possibly have done him any good??. To make a few quick bucks on another long time forumite, and then never being able to list anything here again?.
This did no one any good, buyer or seller.. That little guitar is a mess,it took a lot of misspent time and massive poor effort to make it look that way, and the seller should be ashamed.
Best of luck re conditioning that little Excel Damir.. It deserves a better life than it has had thus far. I hope in the future it can be enjoyed by a player somewhere... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 9:26 am    

Beautiful upholstery work on that pad. Oh Well

Andrew Wright

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 9:32 am    

Yes, the pedal bar definitely looks scuffed.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 9:48 am    

I'll bet it was damaged in shipping. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 9:58 am    

What the HECK is that stuff on the undercarriage? Hard to understand why someone would think that was a good thing to do.
Also, given what people have said about the seller's history here,is it possible he is somehow being used by an unscrupulous family member or "friend"? Just a thought.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 10:12 am    

It looks like it got really hot the way the paint or whatever it is has bubbles in it. All I know is its a mess. I believe Billy had been a member here for a while and I actually met him once and he was really nice to me and seems like a nice guy so I'm not sure why something like this happened. I wish you guys the best in the restoration and I hope you will post pictures of the finished product.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 10:14 am     Excel?

I saw Billy's Carr play this guitar in Gulfport Mississippi last November and it looked and sounded mint, just do not understand....jack

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 10:26 am    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
I don't get this.. The seller is a long time forumite, and I was never aware of any issues such as this

that is exactly why I bought it unseen, I didn't doubt for a one second that guitar is nice...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 10:27 am     Re: Excel?

Jack Goodson wrote:
I saw Billy's Carr play this guitar in Gulfport Mississippi last November and it looked and sounded mint, just do not understand....jack

its probably what Erv said, got damaged in shipping

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 10:31 am    

Looks like someone dumped paint remover on it and walked away!! That's horrible. I couldn't live with myself if I sold something like that.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 10:33 am     .?

No damir, I did not say is was damaged in shipment, sorry for posting....jack

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 10:43 am    

I'm sure Damir caught on when I said it was damaged in shipping.
After all, the case looked fine. Rolling Eyes

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 10:47 am    

I assumed that Billy Carr was a good guy,I wouldn't do that to a dog,He should send Damir back his money,and buy a working camera...That's just not cool!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 3:53 pm    

But does it have 'the sound'...sorry just kiddin, I'd drive to his house.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 4:06 pm    

Mike is going to post a little video we did at his shop today, we start taking guitar apart, and we have a plan how to approach this, Mike has a nice shop , and I'm sure this will turn out good, I'm in the process of ordering some new decals from Mitsuo as well, we are not sure yet if we can save mica or if we will have to re-mica the whole guitar, too early to tell....

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 4:24 pm     .

Enjoy the unraveling of this Excel. In case there is any doubt what happened this video will clearly show what we are dealing with. You be the judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iym5hdElrWc&feature=youtu.be

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 4:57 pm    

I just watched Mike's video.
Holy crap.........
I couldn't damage a guitar that much if I tried.
Kind of makes me wonder what really happened.........or why.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 6:33 pm    

I was having a nightmare, it was the worst thing you can imagine, absolutely horrible. Oh, man I'm glad to be awake. Gonna chill out and see what's up on the SGF.....

WHAT! Noooo, I can't take the stress. Better get back to sleep, try to continue where I left it. At least THAT wasn't real.

Gosh, Damir... ouch!

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 7:39 pm    

I hate that this happened to you Damir. I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone. But a positive note on a terrible situation, it didn't happen to someone just trying to start out in the world of steel guitar. I couldn't imagine receiving my first instrument in that condition and not knowing the proper people and channels to have it repaired. What a nightmare that would be!

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 8:04 pm    

I got this poor thing on local Craigslist Carter E9 ext 3+5, and came with a bunch of rods and lose parts.... seller said all the parts are there to set it back up to U12 7+5 ...

after taking the guitar apart, installing pedals, and cleaning it up, while putting it back together it turned out not all of the parts were there, so I asked Buck Reed for help... and here is what she looks like today...

this little Excel will go through the same process.... and with Mikes help, it will proudly shine under the stage lights again...

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 8:18 pm    

Why did you keep it, Damir? Did you try to return it to Billy Carr and get your money back, and did he refuse?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 8:21 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Why did you keep it, Damir? Did you try to return it to Billy Carr and get your money back, and did he refuse?

Quote:
To: Damir Besic
Posted: 6 May 2017 9:29 am
Subject: Re: psg Quote message
I'm sorry you don't like the guitar. That's the reason you got it at such a low price was in case you didn't like it. With only 1450.00 in it, it will easily sell for you especially to players just starting out that want/need a guitar that's already set up and doesn't have to be broken in. I hope this doesn't cause any hard feelings between us but when I let someone have something at such a low price I consider it a done deal, as I do this one. It would be hard to purchase a guitar like the Excel, unaltered, at such a price. I had 3100.00 in it and 300.00 in the case for a total of 3400.00. Just sell it at a good price to someone and I'll know in the future exactly what you expect in a guitar. Don't send it back. I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. I still consider you a friend/buddy. 1650.00 seems like an excellent price here.

I am not mad at Billy, but I can't sell this to anyone, sometimes I get complaints from people because guitar they bought has a scratch in a knee lever, or a small dent in the cabinet, can you imagine if I try to sell this lol .... without help the future of this guitar would be in some basement under old chairs, rubber boots, and moldy carpets lol .... I cant let that happen, It will be a beautiful instrument making someone very proud again, no matter the cost ...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 11:04 pm    

my love affair with Excel guitars goes all the way back to 1991 when i got my first D10 Excel delivered to me to Germany where I lived at that time...it came from Scotty....

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 3:02 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
Jim Cohen wrote:

Quote:
To: Damir Besic
Posted: 6 May 2017 9:29 am
Subject: Re: psg Quote message
I'm sorry you don't like the guitar. That's the reason you got it at such a low price was in case you didn't like it. With only 1450.00 in it, it will easily sell for you especially to players just starting out that want/need a guitar that's already set up and doesn't have to be broken in. I hope this doesn't cause any hard feelings between us but when I let someone have something at such a low price I consider it a done deal, as I do this one. It would be hard to purchase a guitar like the Excel, unaltered, at such a price. I had 3100.00 in it and 300.00 in the case for a total of 3400.00. Just sell it at a good price to someone and I'll know in the future exactly what you expect in a guitar. Don't send it back. I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. I still consider you a friend/buddy. 1650.00 seems like an excellent price here.

I am not mad at Billy, but I can't sell this to anyone, sometimes I get complaints from people because guitar they bought has a scratch in a knee lever, or a small dent in the cabinet, can you imagine if I try to sell this lol .... without help the future of this guitar would be in some basement under old chairs, rubber boots, and moldy carpets lol .... I cant let that happen, It will be a beautiful instrument making someone very proud again, no matter the cost ...

Again, I'm speechless

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 3:05 am    

Karma works in mysterious ways...