The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone play GUITAR through a Quilter Steelaire combo?
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 2:28 pm    

I've heard the Steelaire sound great with PSG, but I'm looking for something I could use when I double on guitar......usually a cleanish Tele or jazz box.

Has anyone used the combo this way? What were the results? Any better suggestions?

Thanks!

- Jim

Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 6:58 am    

I have a Steelaire and it works very well for guitar. I do adjust the tone controls when I switch over to guitar from steel. I'd recommend getting the optional 2 button universal footswitch or the 6 button one. These allow you to turn on the "boost" function. According to Quilter it will boost the highs (they also said the boost can not be "dialed in" with the knobs, one must have the external switch). To me, it needs to be on to get the best tone for a 6 string. Otherwise it is quite dark for guitar. I wish Quilter would have incorporated the "boost" function into the amp itself. Seems like it took a little time for the speaker to break in because I think it sounds better now than when I bought it new a couple years ago. It's a great amp and I've been very happy with it.

Steve Vroman

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 8:54 am    

I have a Quilter Aviator which I use for guitar and steel. There are two channels, I run the first for guitar and the second steel. The first channel is pretty basic, just volume and a single EQ knob which runs from mid-scooped to flat to mid hump. The second channel has a TMB EQ along with a volume, gain, and hi cut. I have the head version which I run with a Telonics 12"

Steve Vroman

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 8:55 am    

I should also add that I'm very happy with this set-up. Light and sounds great

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 9:51 am    

I recorded some samples of other instruments with mine:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Quilter%20Steelaire%20Pro/Quilter%20Steelaire%20Pro.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 6 May 2017 6:24 am    

I use mine for guitar all the time and love it. I have used a 15" speaker for guitar with several brands of amplifiers for a long time and am content with the sound of a 15, so that may have something to do with my liking it. Great amp with a great support team.

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2017 6:41 am    

I just love my Quilter SteelAire Combo for both steel and guitar! I switch off several times during a gig, and need to be able to do it fast without having to make any tone adjustments.

I use the Quilter two-button switch to switch to the guitar channel and add the treble boost. To get the guitar tone the way I want it, I use the Electro Harmonics Knockout Attack Equalizer. The nice thing about this combo is that the power for the Knockout box is built right in to the SteelAire amp, just plug it in and go.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB