The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  G# to B raise - 6th string
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 7:35 am    

Would this change interfere with the second string lower to C#? I have the 2nd string lower to D and the 2nd string lower to C# on separate levers. This change intrigues me.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 8:13 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

Amd I'm almost positive that that change is not on a Stage One, unless Doug made a special guitar for someone. If I remember right, the pedal and lever changes can't be moved around because the bell cranks are welded to the cross shafts. I'm not sure a pull-release guitar could make that change (Lane Gray would know).

I have a Stage One. String 6 can be raised a half step via the B pedal and that's it. As I said earlier, concurring with Brint, the only minor 3rd raise/lower is on string 4 (C pedal to LKR).

You are correct about bell crank welds.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 5:30 pm    

Brent, Your right the Stage One did not have this change. Maybe someone put it on, but I have owed two of them, and they are as you say. However on the Look At Us, according to the Woodshed by Jeff Newman, he states that John did have this change, and used it on the song. I am only saying what, he did. I don't know this myself, but I'm sure Jeff wouldn't have said it, if it were not so. What ever it was, it was beautiful, and John did a wonderful job of it, and then there was Vince. Enough said.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 6:57 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Would this change interfere with the second string lower to C#? I have the 2nd string lower to D and the 2nd string lower to C# on separate levers. This change intrigues me.

Richard, yes, it does interfere. I'm going to move it to another lever when I get the chance. When doing that very common 2nd string lower to D & then coming down across the strings to the 6th, you run into a slightly raised note.

I have been able to adjust the timing, so 6th does not start to raise until later, but it is a bit tricky if you overshoot it, especially when playing fast stuff.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 6:47 am    

I would like to add, that my first SageOne, I bought off e-bay, came with the F# to G on the 7th string, had been changed to the 6th string. I, at the time was not aware of this change. I change it back to the 7th string. I'm not sure who might have changed it, or if it really worked. I just remember having to change it, but in thinking back, I don't know why it wouldn't work. Just fruit for thought. The other one I have now, came as the standard setup.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.