The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DobroBox Speaker - New Project
Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 9:47 am    

I started a funny new project the other day.
I'm trying to make a little speaker box that will mimic the sound of a dobro. I'm going to be using a Boss Acoustic Simulator with this speaker.

So the idea is that I will play PSG and have a switcher that changes between my main Peavey rig and the new DobroBox rig that will be powered by some little amp. The DobroBox will be relatively quiet, and will need to be mic'd sorta like an acoustic guitar (or acoustic dobro ). ..and remember, I'll be using a BOSS AC-2 also, so I'm hoping it won't just sound like a weak PSG...we'll see.

It's not done yet, but here are some pictures to give you an idea of what I'm going for... Smile

So far I've mounted a 4ohm car speaker on a cake pan that will be the primary resonator. I also mounted a second can on the back...I don't know...I thought it might act as a resonator too.
I'm going to mount this contraption in the box by gluing the crossbar to some side supports on the walls of the box.
I still need to make a panel for each end of the DobroBox. Each side will have a soundhole, I'm thinking one bigger than the other (and one centered up with the cake pan, and one aligned with the 2nd can resonator)

When its all glued together and solid, I will sand it down, stain it, and cover it in 20 coats of clear-coat. A nice shiny wooden, resonating box.

I'm hoping that the speaker (and BOSS AC-2), combined with the two resonators, all vibrating in this little box (9"x9"x12")will create a nice "dobro-esque" sound.

We'll see.
I'll keep ya posted

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 9:51 am    

and here's my switcher:

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 10:01 am    

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 10:29 am     update

All glued together and stained:

Justin Brown

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 3:11 pm    

This is a crazy idea that just might work. Similar idea to re-amping drums:
http://tapeop.com/tutorials/67/reamping-drums/ .

Did you really not test it out before starting to finish the cabinet?

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 3:50 pm    

I've been trying it out all along, and it sounds fairly good. I actually don't have an acoustic simulator yet, and I think that will be a key part of the sound since I'm using a PSG.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 6:48 pm    

tip: the key to getting a good dobro sound out of a psg is to use a bar that "soaks up" some energy - like the acoustic body of a dobro takes the energy out of the strings and kills the sutain. I use a teflon rod, but plastic or wood would work too.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 5:29 am    

A much more simple idea is to just get a Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ.....with the right settings on the sliders it's a Dobro...use a Teflon bar or a wooden bar. Don't play pedal steel licks..don't use pedals or knee levers...Think "Dobro" Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 9:56 am    

Thanks for the advice guys!
I hadn't thought about using a bar that would soak up some of the energy, so thats a big help!

I realize this was kind of a silly project with a subtle result, but it was more of a burst of inspiration that I figured I should see through. And aside from the pedal that I still have to buy ($50 used), I've only spent $25 on the materials, since I had most of the stuff (including the car speaker)

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 11:48 am    

Dustin, one thing I forgot to mention is that when you have achieved your Dobro sound by what ever means, turn off your reverb or delay on your amp. A Dobro has a "dry" sound Very Happy

Micky "Scars" Byrne U.K.

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 6:32 pm    

Dustin, I like you're thinking. That's how things are created. I'm interested in what it sounds like when you get the pedal. I play dobro too but when I try to get a dobro sound with my steel, I'm wanting the pedabro tone. I've got close with a eq pedal and the graphic eq and cab simulator in my Eleven Rack.

Tony

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 6:55 pm    

This unit from the Jim Dunlop company also gives a pretty good dobro-like sound.

I have one hard wired into the effects loop on my steelaire.

Unfortunately, they have been discontinued, but they show up on E bay all the time.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2017 9:05 am    

Pretty cool idea, Dustin. There's bound to be skeptics with anything new that involves thinking outside the box. Donald Leslie even experienced resistance from no less than Laurens Hammond with his rotating speaker in a cabinet, and we all know how that worked out.

I have achieved a passable Dobro sound on my lap steels by tuning to high bass G, running through both BOSS Acoustic Simulator and Graphic Equalizer pedals, and playing with a cut off broomstick handle.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 May 2017 9:19 am    

I like it. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

For those of you that use wood bars (like broom handles), doesn't the wood (and possibly paint) get into the windings of the strings?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2017 10:03 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
For those of you that use wood bars (like broom handles), doesn't the wood (and possibly paint) get into the windings of the strings?

I sanded mine down to about 600 grit and steel wool-ed it with OOOO until it was smooth as a baby's behind. Wood fibers in the string windings haven't been an issue.

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2017 12:14 pm     first demo

My PSG is at my practice space right now, so here's a couple chords on a lap steel (I still only have a heavy steel bar). I play a little without the Acoustic Simulator, and then some with it, and then a little more without at the end.

I'll try to post a better demo soon, with a PSG. I just figured y'all probably wanted to hear something sooner than later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF9j0GhkUgw