The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSG Thru Bass Amp
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 6:10 am    

Anyone playing PSG through Fender Rumble Bass Amp?

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 9:15 am    

As I stated in another post, I traded an older Martin kit acoustic guitar for a Rumble 100. So far, I'm loving this little 22 lbs jewel. Although I have not quite found "the" tone, I know that somewhere between the lowest, clear bass tone and the razor sharp highs, there is bound to be the tone I'm looking for. Playing a Kline universal that will definitely reflect whatever the amp has.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has tried this amp. It may very well be the answer to the weight issues us old guys have!!!

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 9:24 am    

I got a Rumble 40 (18 lbs!) mainly for jazz bass. It's only 40W through a 10" speaker, and figured it might be a good "folk music" steel amp too. It's got that fender twin tone on the high end, but I haven't quite been able to dial in the right midrange notch yet. It also has no reverb. I'm playing through it in my practice room, and it works great.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 10:26 am    

True, no reverb,,,I'm using an RV3.

Ken McDaniel

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 6:57 pm    

I play my lap steel through a Rumble 75. I use a Rumble 200 head in another setup with single 15 cab with a EPS-15.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 7:11 pm    

I've been looking at those amps for awhile now.... I am seriously tired of hauling around heavy guitars and amps... went to GC today to check it out, and there it was, one I will probably be purchasing after I get back from Europe, Rumble 100, 100W with 1x12" Eminence ceramic speaker, and 22lbs... you can pick this amp up with your pinky finger... at $299 new, this may as well be the most bang for the buck out there... I think little Rumble would go nicely with my little S10 Excel ... my back is already feeling better lol

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 1:28 pm    

Let us know what it sounds like ..

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 1:29 pm    

Greg Lambert wrote:

yes Sir ...

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 23 May 2017 3:15 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
Greg Lambert wrote:

yes Sir ...

...and a sound clip too ! Thanks !

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2017 9:49 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
...... I am seriously tired of hauling around heavy guitars and amps... went to GC today to check it out, and there it was, one I will probably be purchasing after I get back from Europe, Rumble 100, 100W with 1x12" Eminence ceramic speaker, and 22lbs... you can pick this amp up with your pinky finger... ....

Damir,

You want light? I bought our bass player at church a Hartek Bass Attack:

Has a DI xlr out that goes straight to the PA board. Sounds great, and it's under 2.5 pounds. Smile

http://www.samsontech.com/hartke/products/accessories/pedals/vxlattack/

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 1:18 pm     Amps I am using

I am using a Behringer keyboard amp but this amp can take any instrument, it is rated 600 watts, has 4 channels, speaker is a 15" they only cost about $449.00 online, and they are punchy.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 7:44 pm    

Modern bass amps are voiced much like keyboard amps - full frequency response. This is due to so many bass players playing up the neck, popping, slapping, etc.

The amps are usually very harsh for 6-string guitar (which is voiced in a more midrangey region) but for the wide frequency response of steel they can work out fairly well.

It depends a lot on the specific amp and speaker, though - cheaper ones vary widely in how well they work. The Fender Rumble is a line, not an amp, and IMO the smaller ones in particular may be limiting. I'd never suggest buying any amp like that without testing it first.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 8:13 am    

My wife just bought me a MarkBass Blackline Little Mark 250 last week. I gigged an outdoor gig on Saturday. I paired it with a Telonics 15" speaker in my Nashville 400 cabinet. Very, very clean. Lots of headroom. I still need to work with the tone. I think that is more to do with the Telonics speaker. I've been swapping it back and forth with my 1502, and much prefer the 1502. But I need to dial it in with the lighter speaker. My back can't take the weight any more. I think I'll have Rick Johnson build me a closed back cabinet to match the head cabinet he built me. Maybe that will beef up the bass response that I feel is lacking in the Telonics.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2017 8:15 am    

Embarassed oops.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 5 Dec 2017 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brian Adams

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 10:28 am    

A friend has a Rumble 100 for bass guitar. He's somewhat busted up from motorcycle wrecks in his youth and wanted something easy to drag around. This morning I bought a clean used Rumble 200 in my neighborhood pawn shop for $180 out the door. Clean used ones have been fetching $350 - $380 on Ebay. Must be this clean living ... Cool

I play guitar, and bass, now all I need is a pedal steel. Been looking for one to start on for years, have never pulled the trigger. There's an old Sho-Bud Maverick 3+1 at a local guitar shop, but it needs complete setup from what I can tell, and there's no case, for $700. I tried to talk him down but he doesn't mind literally tripping over it, apparently.

Brian