The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  AB pedal for guitar & steel into one amp?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 8:34 pm    

What are y'all using these days to route both a guitar and a steel into one amp (if not using 2 amps)? AB(Y) pedals? Got one you like to recommend? How do you handle the different EQ needs of the steel and the guitar?

My back thanks you in advance. Wink

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 9:16 pm     The Switch.

I've got an old school analog DOD (brand) foot switch that can be used either with (one in, two out) or (two in, one out) in a standard old style MXR type guitar pedal. I have only used it a few times to switch from one amp to another with my guitar, but it worked great. I'm not sure who even makes a pedal like this anymore, but the circuit is real simple, all it is, is a foot switch, and three female Switchcraft jacks. As far as EQ, I would run a small graphic EQ type pedal with one of your instruments.

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 3:45 am    

I am very happy with my original Radial BigShot. Unfortunately it's no longer available.
I've used it on gigs and during countless rehearsals. True bypass built like a tank, all metal.

They have released a new model BigShot but I have no experience with it.

I split guitar and PSG into a Roland Cube 80. The Cube has the ability to select two different channels each having a "Lead" pre-set that has the ability to store settings for effects and EQ. I never had to deal with a pedal for EQ.

I've put together a very light rig now. I use a BX500 (6 Lbs) for PSG and a Quilter Mini 101 (2 Lbs) for Tele. I use a multi-Effects pedal in front of both amps for Rev Etc...

I run them both into a Tommy Huff cab with a Telonics Neo 15" (22 Lbs). I've been looking for a switch so I can stop this plugging and unplugging at the cab. So far the only units are home stereo grade or really expensive.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=314597&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 4:14 am    

Hi Jim,

I use one of these passive A/B pedals.They're very affordable and well built. If I had to buy it again though I'd go for one with an LED.
http://saturnworkspedals.com/product/ab-pedal/

I guess I'm lucky in that I found a two channel Standel amp that has really excellent tone for steel and guitar (light too!). However, if I need it I really like the Nobels preamp boost pedals. The only controls are volume, bass, and treble. Because there are so few frequencies to choose from you can boost or cut the bass or treble without ending up with any comb filtering. I did a little shootout a while back with six or seven boost pedals and it sounded the least colored to me.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 4:35 am    

I use a Boss LS2. Very versatile - used as ABY or as a loop pedal, various configurations. Also has 9v out to power another pedal.

Does not do anything for eq, but you have 2 level controls.

Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 5:05 am    

I use the Morley ABC pedal. It's very rugged, and I like the fact that you can completely turn off any of the three channels. My EQ settings for guitar and steel are very similar, so no problem on that score.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 5:10 am    

Thanks, guys. Keep 'em comin'...

Ollin, is there a foot pedal function to switch from the clean to the lead channel on the Roland Cube 80XL, or do you have to manually hit the little switch on top?

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 7:43 am    

Jim,

I use the Roland\Boss FS-6.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/fs-6/

There is a tongue and groove connector on the FS-6 that allow you to connect multiple FS-6 units together. I only use one to connect to the Solo/Channel input.

The way mine is configured I use the JC Clean channel for PSG with all my settings stored in the "Solo" preset.

I use the Lead channel with my presets in the "Solo" for Tele.

I select the JC Clean Normal Channel for Mandolin.

With that configuration once I set my EQ and effects I never have to touch the amp again unless I make minor adjustments for the room.

I just use the footswitch to select the appropriate Channel and Solo for each instrument. The FS-6 is nice because it has an LED to let you know when the switch is on or off.

So for me

"A" on with "B" off gets me the JC Clean "Solo" selection (PSG)

"A" and "B" on gets me the Lead channel "Solo" (Tele rhythm)

"A" off "B" on gets me the Lead channel Normal (Tele boost,dirty, etc...)

"A" off "B" off for JC Clean normal (Mandolin)

The Cube 80XL is very versatile but I wanted less button pushing so I went with two heads and one speaker cab on gigs. This was to reduce the weight of gear carried to gigs.

But I still use the 80XL that stays at the rehearsal space with the BigShot and the FS-6 setup just as I mentioned, so I'm not carting all my gigging gear to rehearsals.

The Cube 80XL has 3 foot switch controls if you want even more control over the amp.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 7:52 am    

Thanks, Ollin. Can you (or anybody) tell me what is meant by "latch" vs "momentary" -type switching?

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:01 am    

Latch - Press on to turn on and Press again to turn off.

Momentary - Is on only as long as the switch is depressed, or for a momentary change. Think keyboard sustain pedal or drum machine to hit the drum fills.

Latch mode is what you want for switching channels.

My FS-6 got bumped in the case going to a gig once. The slider switched into momentary on the back. It took me a few minutes to realize why it wasn't working.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:03 am    

(deleted)

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 25 Apr 2017 8:06 am; edited 2 times in total

Dieter Stoll

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:04 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Thanks, Ollin. Can you (or anybody) tell me what is meant by "latch" vs "momentary" -type switching?

The latching type retains its setting after you press and release the pedal. The momentary type switches only during the time you keep the pedal pressed.
So, the latching type requires two pedal presses to return to its original state, but does not require you to keep your foot down.
Hope this helps.

edit: Dang, Ollin beat me to it Winking

Last edited by Dieter Stoll on 25 Apr 2017 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:07 am    

Cool, thanks. Also, do I need to buy a stereo (TRS) cable to go from the unit to the amp?

Like this: www.amazon.com/Hosa-CSS-110-Balanced-Interconnect-Cable/dp/B000068NYH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493136304&sr=8-1&keywords=hosa+css-110

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:29 am    

Yes.

The FS-6 requires a TRS cable for the channel switching function.

It's your call but I prefer a custom made good quality TRS cable over the Hosa molded cables. I usually solder all my own cables unless I'm using George L's.

I have gone through a couple of ironing board covers. That's how you know you're really living the bachelor lifestyle.

Did I mention an ironing board makes a great table for working on 6 string guitars and cables.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:33 am    

Thanks, Ollin. I presume it just needs one TRS cable, from the unit to the amp and the two guitar inputs can just be regular mono instrument cables, right?

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:50 am    

Correct. A single TRS cable will connect the FS-6 to the amp.

Then use whatever regular instrument cables you want to connect to the AB/Y switch. Regular instrument from the AB/Y to the next thing in the chain.

My setup is two instrument cables into the AB/Y > Instrument cable to Multi-Effects unit (Shared for both PSG and Tele) > Instrument cable to amp.

You may want to add a battery converter to the FS-6 if you go that route.

I used one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Truetone-CBAT-Converter-Power-Supply/dp/B000EELID0

There was a video somewhere of how to make it work with the FS-6. I just tried to find it and can't. I did have to modify the battery door compartment with a soldering iron to accommodate the cable. If I find the video I'll post it.

By the way your Pedal Steel Jazz CD gets a lot of play at my house.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 10:21 am    

I use a radial Twin City powered ABY- nothing but positive reviews- and set the amp to taste for steel. There's enough eq available on my little guitar pedal board to shape 6 string tone- something simple like an earth drive, or more complicated, like a voodoo labs giggity/tone concepts Distillery, could take the place of a dedicated eq pedal on the guitar side, and be a lot more fun.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 10:38 am    

deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 21 May 2018 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Stankoski

Vermont
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 12:41 pm    

DIY for me. A/B for the input and output so I can route either instrument to either channel on a Fender Deluxe. It could just as well feed two different amps (though then I'd have to pay attention to ground loops). Since I was going through the trouble of building it, I added a tuner/kill switch and 2 effects loop bypass switches to allow for separate effects chains for each instrument and easily switch a whole chain in or out if needed. All passive for the signal path; but 9v just to power the LEDs.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 12:50 am    

I've been using the Morley AB for years now for switching. Regarding EQ, , you could use a 5 or 7 band EQ Ped with ONE of the instruments ahead of the switch, probably guitar to dial in the tones you prefer.

Set the amp EQ for your Steel then use the EQ PED to alter the guitar tones.

I use the same amp EQ tones for my guitars and Steel. A two PUP guitar has lots of variations for tone, it worked fine for me.

The thing is, you gotta use an amp that you like for both Steel and Guitar, that comes first.

https://www.amazon.com/ABY-Selector-Combiner-Routing-Switching/dp/B0002D06EU

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 12:47 am    

I've been using a Fender ABY Micro Pedal to go from an Acoustic Guitar to a Dobro. Its doing a great job. I like using my Baggs Para DI for both instruments so I picked up this pedal up so I could go back and fourth from guitar to dobro faster. It has true bypass and it sounds great! https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21069-fender-announces-line-of-micro-pedals

Frank Agliata

Jersey Shore, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 12:11 am    

I was using a cheap A/B switch pedal for a while, until my band mates pointed out it seemed to be effecting the tone of the steel. I don't know if that was really true, but it provided a convenient excuse for my sloppy playing!
Now I just plug in one at a time.
We try to group the steel tunes together to minimize the switching. I know it's not the best solution, but works for me . . Winking

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 12:57 am    

Been real happy with the Morley ABC pedal.

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 2:06 pm     Switch

I use a A/B pedal , eq the amp for the steel and I put a Boss EQ pedal on the guitar signal to compensate for the difference needed for the guitar. So the only thing to change is the reverb amount on the amp.

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 3:48 pm    

Jim a webb amp has two separate eq channels.