Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rkr
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 1:52 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:
Interesting, the LDG model guitars , from the beginning, lower both E's on two levers.

"On two levers"?

Typo, meant raise and lower E's on TWO levers, not separate the two lowers.

sorry for my error...

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 6:38 am    

Barry,

Since you said you currently have half-step lowers on strings 2 & 8 with the lever, I would first try what is the easiest mechanical alteration... change the string 2 lower to a string 4 lower. As stated, that will give you both E's lowered to Eb.

Once you've gotten a feel for the musical possibilities, try changing the lever for raising the E's to F (if it proves mechanically possible). Then experiment and see if you end up missing the Eb's. It sounds like you have a good working knowledge of chord structure and interval movement, so you should easily be able to determine which is best for you.

I personally feel that the string 2 & 9 lowers do not give as many possibilities as lowering or raising the E's. I like having them, but they would not be my Only lever if I had to choose. I know others disagree, but it is ultimately a personal decision. It would be no fun if we all sounded alike when we played. Whatever gives you the musical voice that YOU want is how it should be.

Barry Anderson

Nevada City, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 7:13 am    

The reputation of this forum is that it is full of helpful people who are generous with their knowledge. That certainly seems to be the case.

Thank you all for your input. I'm probably going to get that book that Mike mentioned (and keep trying to track down that teacher) and sit with the guitar as is for now. But I think changing the 2 lower to a 4 lower will remain on my mind as a possibility.

By the way, I don't know if any of you are aware, but this instrument is a lot of fun - even when you don't really know how to play it. I can't stop! My kids almost didn't get dinner last night.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 7:39 am    

With a pull-release, it's not easy both raising and lowering a string. A 4th string drop either means getting clever with things or getting rid of the C pedal
Bear in mind that Lloyd Green who can outplay and outthink most of us, doesn't lower 4.

Barry Anderson

Nevada City, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:01 am    

Oh yeah. Someone pointed that out already, didn't they. Man. So many varables to consider.

The more time I spend with this thing, the more respect I have for not just those who can play one, but for the mad geniuses of engineering who developed and continue developing them.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:04 am    

Though I don't smoke, playing steel is a similar to how I've hear cigarettes described...

Extremely addictive, despite most initial experiences being unpleasant!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:55 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
A 4th string drop either means getting clever with things or getting rid of the C pedal

Buddy Emmons was playing with eliminating the C pedal, so there's that possibility.

I'm like Buddy Laughing I have the E lower on P1 along with G#->F# lower and a Day P3. Makes an easy V7. For example.
Then you could have the D# lower.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 2:42 am    

I know it's not a popular move... but I have no C Pedal anymore. I hated it.

It is completely useless without the B Pedal... It doesn't tune up well without a compromise... and it only gives part of the chord. I have found that lowering the G#'s to G solves all of those problems, and gives me a lot more possibilities. All I had to sacrifice was a handful of cliché licks that I can achieve in other ways.

For years I resisted the G#-G idea, thinking it was redundant (since BC two frets down gives you that minor)... then I finally decided that there's no rule that you MUST have a C Pedal. Don't know if it's possible to do on the Fender/Sho-bud in question, but I thought someone may get some use out of me mentioning my experience.

Last edited by Jeff Harbour on 26 Apr 2017 12:03 pm; edited 3 times in total

Michael Dulin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 6:22 am     Rkr

When playing strings 5&8...lowering 8 gives you the same voicing as 5&8 with A pedal and F lever(raising E's) only 2 frets higher, so you don't have to have the raise on E's to get it. When you do have both changes , usually you do the raise E positions going up and lower E positions going down the scale. That's why both changes are there. Yes there's a lot more uses than that but that's where you start. This is why I say you can do a lot just with what you've got right now. If you have both on 4 you can do the same thing on 4&5. I'm getting the idea you're just starting out on pedal steel(I apologize if I'm wrong). With what you have you can still do scales up and down and across the neck, 7ths,9ths,minors. You just can't do them everywhere that you can with all the changes. I recommend you get Jeff Newman's course 'Up From the Top'. This will show you all these substitutions and how easy they are to do. I didn't mean to imply that Lloyd Green had lower 2&8 on the same lever but he still doesn't lower 4. I'd be willing to bet though that Lloyd and Buddy at one time and Jimmy Day had their guitar with 3 pedals & 1 knee that lowered 2&8 just like you. They're the ones that evolved the pedal steel into what it is today and those were the first knee lever changes that were invented(by them!)and it became the start of something big(what we have today). Yes you'll probably realize that you want a guitar with more before long but you can go a long ways learning with what you already have. Good luck to you.MD