The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams Guitars
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 6:35 am    

Have been looking on the Williams site and find their changers quite unique. Since I don't have the opportunity to try one am hoping to get some feedback from players who have tried, or own a Williams. Would like to know how they sound as compared to an Emmons P/P or any modern all pull guitar?

Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 6:46 am    

I love the tone of my keyless U12, the first truly good modern all-pull guitar I have ever owned. Head and shoulders above what I had before, especially above fret 12.

I rate the Williams, it's a quality product. And Bill Randolph and his guys are always quick to help - good after-sales service is a great extra ingredient.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 7:54 am    

I've played one since 2006 and I highly recommend them. Bill's attention to detail is second to none.His unique changer design makes it's a joy to change strings especially in a darkened club setting if necessary. String breakage due to the extremely small radius is pretty much non-existent and more likely is a string issue than changer.

Mica or wood is the same charge. Gauged rollers are standard.Changing pulls is quick and easy if you like to experiment now and then.

Everything Bill uses to build his guitars is top quality.

I've never once called that he didn't answer the phone himself and he takes whatever time you need to take care of whatever it is you need.

Emmons guitars had a very unique tonal quality that all builders would like to duplicate so the answer in my opinion is not exactly.Can it or others get close? With the right pup and amp/EQ settings,probably very close but not quite.

You'll just have to go out and listen to someone who has one, sit down and try it out to see what you think as one person may like it and the next guy won't.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 8:32 am    

The Williams Guitar Company has been around a long time. Pretty sure that Dave Knight was playing a Williams in and around the Twin Cities back in the Seventies.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 8:34 am    

They are very good

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 8:50 am    

Bill along with his son build a very nice, high quality guitar. One of the few builders which actually implement new design concepts rather than just copy what everyone else is doing. I am sure you will not be disappointed with one of their guitars or after the sale service.

Robert

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 8:53 am    

The process they use in putting the finish on a non-mica guitar is unparalleled in the industry. Very Happy

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 11:11 am    

I own two Williams guitars and no they don't sound like a push-pull nor would I want them to. I got rid of my push-pull because i could never get a sound I liked out of it. It was always too whiney. Some push-pull guys will be fired up about this comment but that's what it was. Plus it took way to much muscle to haul it around and when something was out of whack on it, it was a four hour job to get it back because here in the middle of Wisconsin there are no push-pull techs. To me they sound great. Wally Murphy and Lucky Oceans think so too.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 1:10 pm    

Just yesterday I looked at the SD-12 700 Series keyless Williams owned by my friend BJ Cole. Very elegant looking machine, fitted with an Alumitone pickup. And played well by Mr. Cole, incidentally.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 5:47 pm    

Excellent sustain and the tone will mimic the choice of pickup you put on it!

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Williams%2012%20String%20Keyless/Williams%2012%20String%20Keyless.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Pat Heller

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 6:17 pm     Williams Guitars

I have never owned a Williams guitar, but can honestly say one of my friends got one last year and it is a work of art. Looks - plays-sounds great!! P.H.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:52 am    

I'm no authority, having only played a little over a year, but I just received a Williams S10 a few weeks ago. It's visually stunning, but more importantly plays like butter. Bill and Tim are an absolute pleasure to deal with. Their attention to detail and willingness to accommodate (had some issues with fitting to the steel...they were happy to swap the legs/rods) made me never second guess my decision. I went with a lacquer body/wood neck and a Telonics 84. Tone for days.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 5:26 pm     psg

Another great guitar, WILLIAMS. I especially like the changer and different colors.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 6:47 pm    

I recently got this one on eBay, I like it!