The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Excel D10 brand new: Call Steve, not me
Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2016 8:25 pm    

Call or write to forumite Steve Sanford about this steel, he is the owner. 6 oh 1 315 oh 452. Cheers

Last edited by Keith Bolog on 25 Apr 2017 6:06 am; edited 3 times in total

Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 9:30 am     New Excel

This guitar needs a ride to the top.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 9:12 pm    

Somebody needs to buy this guitar. I have a modern (2008 or so) S-12 Excel Superb, and it's the finest guitar I've ever played, hands down.

These guitars have everything you can possibly want in a Steel. No compromises.

They've got GREAT tone, they're light, they're accurate, they have more raises and lowers than you can Ever need, they are super adjustable, smooth, solid stops. he body is built such that they stay in tune very well.

They keyless mechanisms work flawlessly, and the changer is a miracle straight from the mind of Mr. Mitsuo Fujii.

These guitars also accomplish the lower not by rotating the finger, but letting the whole finger slide forward. Eliminates Hysteresis. Chew on that for a while.

Most Excels are long scale (feels great, piano-like tone) and this one looks like it has the anti-detuning mechanism on the E9th neck.

Seriously, can't believe this hasn't sold. The guy who backed out should have his head checked.

These are mechanical works of functional art, and Mitsuo is a Wizard when it comes to creating these guitars. I cherish mine.

BUMP!!

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 10:14 am     Correction - no mechanical detuning devioce

That zero pedal is probably scaring everyone away.....('Shocked')

Thanks Mike I quite agree. Dont forget portability. If you ever leave the house with your steel such as a Thomas (81#) or MSA (77#), you'll never do it again.

He no longer builds them with the de-tuning head so this one doesnt have it - a mind boggling device that was brilliant guess its no longer needed, solved some other way.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 6:39 pm    

That's a great guitar. If I hadn't already spent money on a flight case for the MSA Super Sustain I'd go after this guitar---no doubt. This is a more practical fly-guitar for sure. Mine was 72lbs on our last trip. I have an unfinished Superb U12 that I'd probably sacrifice for this one.

Good luck on the sale.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 4:22 am    

You guys already know what I think about the Excel Pedal Steels ...I couldn't agree more with what Mike had to say ....

Marty,

You have an "unfinished" U12 ? ....I'd be interested if you would part with it ....Thanks, Jim

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 6:34 am     you two....

....guys should work something out on that U12 and buy this - I dont own the guitar would like to see it go to a good home, its sitting here brand new in the case covered with a bag. FYI I already bought my own, custom, brand new one, theres not a thing wrong with this guitar.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 8:25 am    

That's a work of art!

I'm no engineer but the build-quality looks better than anything I have seen.

James Gooch

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 11:25 am     Excel D10

Is this guitar still for sale? What is the asking price?

-- Jim

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 2:30 pm    

I would love to get a first pedal like that.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 9:54 pm    

I have an intonation question about Excel.
For Mike V in particular:

If the lowers shorten the scale length, wouldn't that offset the intonation on the string being lowered, relative to the other strings?
As you say,
"These guitars also accomplish the lower not by rotating the finger, but letting the whole finger slide forward. Eliminates Hysteresis. Chew on that for a while. "

In my mind, that would seem to move the frets to a different position. Possibly insignificant on the lower frets, but becoming more critical up above the 12th.

I've never played an Excel, so I have no experience with the real world application. But in theory, this seems like it may create intonation issues rather than solving them.

Can you explain please?
Thanks, john

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 6:05 am    

Comments on the comments

1) I have my own brand new Excel guitar and have listed this as a courtesy to the owner, having tried it out. Call Steve about it.

2) I cant get into the long v short scale lengths debate. Im not smart enough. There are advantages to each, info is all over this forum. For me the missing inch makes a bar bend easier and the guitar more compact and lighter in weight.

3) The advantage of all those changer holes is in the rod routing. Plenty of opportunities to have the rod run straight and clear, not crammed in. Also, instead of a reversing mechanism you can install the bellcrank 'upside down' and use one of the upper holes for a lower. My LKR E9 is shared as a LKL C6.

4) No two Excels are quite the same. Constant innovation.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 6:36 am    

John Goux: You didn't ask me, but I have a fair bit of experience with this style of changer, so I thought I'd give my 1.5 cents.

In theory, you are correct....in practice, I defy anyone to notice or have any problem from it. The basic concept of the Excel changer is shared by Rickenbacker pedal steels (from the early '60's I believe), the rare Fender PS210 guitars and the almost as rare and highly lauded Anapeg guitars.

In response to this same question in the past our good pal Jim Palenscar once told me that if the intonation was good enough for Anapeg player Tom Brumley ("...who had ears like a bat") then its not a problem.

Give an Excel or Anapeg a try if you ever get the chance, the proof is in the playing.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 7:16 am    

John, it doesn't matter what brand you play, your pedal steel's intonation is already off. No Steel, to my knowledge has ever compensated for the different string gauges needing different lengths to achieve accuracy at each fret. Regular 6 string guitars all have adjustable or at least slanted bridges to compensate for this difference so that as you go up the neck the notes will accurate at every fret. Pedal steels were never designed that way. To make the perfect guitar, that would have to be part of the design if you ask me. If it's deemed necessary on a 6 string..... well.

Of course, we have been doing great without that feature for years. Most probably slant the bar slightly, whether they realize it or not to compensate. I doubt anyone will offer something different anytime soon, although I have discussed it with a very prominent builder and he said they were working on it.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 8:53 am    

Memphisslim is correct. As Mike Cass eloquently once said, "the frets are only a suggestion."

Ultimately it's your ears that make the intonation what it is, or isn't. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 10:23 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
"the frets are only a suggestion."

so true