The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transitioning from the bedroom to the bandstand
Tim Windsor

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 5:39 am    

I've been playing steel for a few years now, but still regularly experience some challenges with live performance that I wonder if others can relate to, or may have some tips on how to overcome. The last couple of gigs I've played, I've dutifully put in a good amount of practice time, worked on trying to extend myself and develop some more interesting arrangements, and generally aimed to be (and felt) reasonably well prepared. Then on the day amid tangles of cables, uncertainties about volume and the various other complexities that can inevitably pop up in unfamiliar venues, I've started badly, dropped a few clangers, lost confidence, and reverted back to playing a small handful of safe but uninspired licks.

I imagine that playing out more regularly (for me it's probably about once a month) would make a big difference, but given that I don't currently have those opportunities, I wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas about practicing more effectively at home in preparation for gigs. I think one of my problems is transitioning from quiet practice (often with headphones) to the louder volumes needed for gigs and the subtle changes in volume pedal and pickng technique that seem to be needed, but can bring me unstuck. No doubt cranking my amp to gig levels when practicing would help, but that isn't really a viable option. Anyway, just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone has any suggestions for how to practice in ways to enhance performance readiness?

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 6:02 am    

Band in a Box can boost your confidence playing songs. BIAB makes you want to practice more. When I have asked the question, I get the same response: BIAB.

Good luck in your endeavors and happy practicing.

Charley

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 6:13 am    

I've had the same experience when I first started playing out (dobro only, waiting for my Justice Pro Lite). In time I was able to stretch out my playing. It just takes time in front of an audience.

Mike Poholsky

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 6:34 am    

Yes playing out is very different than the practice room. For me it is the change in environment, the live musicians (instead of the very familiar backing tracks), and the volume.
Playing at loud volumes does take getting used to and a different touch, than playing at lower volumes. I am able to practice at loud volumes and it does help when playing out.
The other thing you try is to practice your solos or new pieces you want to play, at as loud a volume you can get away with, plugging straight into the amp, no volume pedal.
When I do that it really shows me where Im using my volume pedal as a crutch. Especially on solos or parts that are new to me.
My 2 cents.
'64 Fender Twin Reverb/Fox Rehab
Fender Steel King w/BW 1501-4
FX to Taste

Jon Alexander

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 9:50 am     Transitioning from the bedroom to the bandstand

Tim,the variabilities of live playing never really go away.Bands can practice in a good sounding living rooms and the live venue will be completely different.You are getting your experience.Practice as much as you can.Having said that a number of posts on this forum have stated that one gig is worth multiple practices.So play out as often as your situation allows,including relaxed get togethers.Don't beat yourself up for playing uninspired ,safe licks.You'll get better at those and learn to come at them from different starting points.That's the deal you're after anyway.For what it's worth,there you go.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 12:34 pm    

I agree with Jon about playing out in relaxed get togethers and not beating yourself up. In my experience the people you will meet in Bands never put in the time a Steel Player does to learn his Instrument, so consider yourself in front of them. Most Bands I played in just refused to rehearse, we would meet at the venue, the singer would hand out the play list and off we would go, in most places the people on the floor liked to take part and we would have a part of the evening backing singers from the floor, many of whom an Indian Scout couldn't follow, it soon gets to the stage where the Band all look at you to find the Key and provide an Intro, Fills & and ending, it got to the point where I would call out "Intro number 268 - 2-3-4" they would smile and off we went. Start off playing safe, you might think its nothing but the rest will love it, each time that song comes up you will think of other things to put in and over time it will please you as much as it does others to hear your Instrument.

James.

Thomas Kowalchuk

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 2:32 pm    

What you described is not all that uncommon. Changes in routine are bound to impact on performance, and if part of your routine is to practice in a regular dedicated spot, then yeah...what you are experiencing makes sense.

All the suggestions above are sound. I can only add that you might consider changing your practice area now and then. I find that when I practice in my music room where everything is located in the same place, the lighting angles are always the same, and I have conditioned myself to block out the usual distractions, well..when those things change, one can get distracted by things that one tends to block out in one's usual practice space.

Start by practicing in different locations in your home where different distractions exist and your routine is upset. Expand your experience in playing in different environments and I suspect you will find this issue will quickly disappear.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 2:42 pm    

Hi Tim,

I give talks in front an audience, and playing music in front of a crowd is not much different.

One thing that may help, is to remember: Most of the people do NOT know what you are going to do. So, unless you make a big, obvious mistake, you CAN just cover up and move on.

Try not to (as James mentioned) "beat yourself up", because that hinders you from moving on. Keep your confidence and push ahead!

.....................Pat.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 3:02 pm    

"and reverted back to playing a small handful of safe but uninspired licks."

You make this sound like it's a bad thing.
There is NOTHING wrong with playing music that is in time and in key.

My advice: Learn the signature intros, fills and licks first. THEN worry about the flashy stuff.

I forget where I heard this but someone once said something to the effect of: You can play music that sounds like it's from the heavens and was written by God, and everyone will take you for granted. "Oh you moved a mountain? Well that's nice, that's where it should be anyway." But if you make one mistake, your name will be Mud for eternity.

And another tip: if the band wants to do something beyond your ability (Rocky Top, Orange Blossom Special, etc.) and trade solos with everyone, tell them in no uncertain terms that you will not be doing that. DO NOT let them put you on the spot.

A famous American icon, fountain of wisdom, and a survivor once said: "A man's got to know his limitations".

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 3:06 pm    

There really isn't any way to prepare for a live performance that will sound the same as it does at home. You will make clunkers out of solos that you nail every time in your own home. One gig is probably worth 10 rehearsals for tightening things up.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing - if it all starts going wrong, play it safe for a while.

The good news is that at least 80% of the audience won't notice when you screw up. Most musicians are so fascinated by the steel, they are amazed that anyone can play it at all and most of the time those clichéd AB pedal licks are exactly what they want to hear anyway. They probably won't even notice you finally pulled off that Buddy lick you've been working on for a month.

The most important thing is to have fun - if you're having fun so will a lot of the audience. And if you get compliments, take them graciously even if you feel you don't deserve them. I bet once you have some more live shows under your belt it'll be fine.

Doug Paluch

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 3:38 pm    

This is a great thread with tons of wisdom.

I might add: when I was younger, my instructor would come and see me play with my band (instrument not important). He told me one time, after a show, that he noticed some mistakes in my playing. I was shocked and dejected. I asked him if my mistakes were that obvious. He told me, in no uncertain terms- no. He told me that my facial expressions and body language gave away my mistakes. Every time I'd mess up, I would make faces of frustration. He said if it weren't for that, he have never known.

Jamie Howze

Boise, ID
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 4:58 pm    

Take a look at your volume pedal technique. If you find you are hitting "full throttle" very often during practice you are likely doing it live at volume too. Too much volume pedal makes it difficult to get that smooth sound we love so much especially when playing at high volume.

For the past few years I've been concentrating on using the volume pedal as an expression pedal as many of the greats preach. I have found when practicing through headphones it is easy to unconsciously get louder and louder till the pedal is floored. To correct this I run the headphones WAY too loud. That forces me to stay back on the pedal and use it to emote through the instrument rather than just use it to control dynamics.

I actually run the preamp such that it will distort badly if I hit a chord with full volume. It is a good reminder to back off if I hear my sound becoming rough. Develop good habits and a loud amplifier will be much easier to control.

Tim Windsor

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 5:04 pm    

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom and great suggestions which I will try out. I once had a guitarist friend who told me that she was going through a stage where her playing was getting worse as part of the process of ultimately getting better. It struck me as an odd thing to say, but I wonder if I'm working through a similar phase. Anyway- for now- more practice!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 7:59 pm     Can you HEAR YOURSELF on the bandstand?

Tim, I recently returned to playing pedal steel with a band, after a long hiatus. Like you, I'm wrestling with the contrasts between the woodshed and the bandstand. Playing this contraption requires connecting numerous physical inputs with the sound, and doing that in real time.

How well can you hear yourself when performing with a band? For me it's enough of a challenge during rehearsals. Our first performance together was just last night. Unfamiliar environment, BIG room, small stage, and WAY TOO MUCH SOUND. This raised my level of difficulty 100-fold.

"Back in the day," playing electric 6-string with a loud band I could turn up my Twin and enjoy the crunch. That does not work on pedal steel, at least not for me.

In-ear monitors are part of my current solution. They provide enough isolation to protect my ears. We mic everything, and I can set my own mix. This goes a long way towards linking my mind with the sound of my playing. It's still going to take lots of work, and better discipline by me and my 5 band-mates.

And like others have said, don't sweat your mistakes. It's mind over matter... if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Easy to say as I sit here in a comfortable chair.

Tim Windsor

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 2:06 am    

Dan, fortunately playing too loud is not usually an issue with our band, although at times we don't hear eachother as well as we might, as we typically don't mic the amps, and use minimal foldback.

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 4:11 am    

My Advice:

1) Never over play. I don't care how good you are if your constantly playing the crowd will become de-sensitized to what your playing. The sound of the pedal steel should arise from the depth of the song.
What I might do is play the intro, drop out entirely on the first verse, come in strong on the chorus ( (the chorus is in my opinion begging for steel on most of the songs we play), dropout after the chorus). You get the picture?

2) Never play over the lead vocal

3) Work out the fills with the other lead players in the band. Nothing sounds more unprofessional than everyone fighting for air space.

4) When you do play relax and try and have fun. Don't worry about playing a fill exactly the same way. Try to find your "pockets" and experiment.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 5:36 am    

I'll give you the best advice you can get on this subject.
Playing live is supposed to be FUN.
Do your best, learn to laugh at your mistakes, and above all, think of it as FUN, not a high pressure job.
Remember, 3 hours after you leave the gig most people, if no all of them, will never remember a single lick you played, but they WILL remember that you had a good (or bad) time doing it.
Enjoy it, you're that one out of a million people that can do what you do.
JB

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 6:02 am    

I said to Jeff Newman once "You know, it just doesn't work to sit quietly at home in front of an amplifier and try to adjust your tone to perfection because it will sound entirely different in a band setting". He agreed right away and gave this advice: "Wait until your neighbor is mowing the lawn to set your tone". Smile

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 9:49 am    

Lots of good comments.

I have found it easy to play music in the bedroom; but, quite difficult to sleep on the bandstand.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 10:23 am    

Some musicians go from the bandstand to the bedroom, that is, until their wife finds out! Whoa!

John Butler

Warrior River, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 10:52 am    

Lots of good advice, and a lot of great ideas. But I've found that the only cure for bandstand-itis is a lot more time on the bandstand. Eventually, you develop a routine for setting up your stuff, so that you get the sound you want. And eventually you will be able to disconnect with the audience while you are playing. Laughing or not! Good luck to you!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 11:26 am    

I like the Band In A Box advice, or any similar program, like Jammer.

Every practice session I try to play over changes or grooves that are out of the ordinary. It doesn't have to be Giant Steps. It can be something very simple, as long as it is unfamiliar. When I finally do a gig on steel, I will report back on how this method of prep worked out Surprised

Tim Windsor

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 2:01 pm    

Quote:
Wait until your neighbor is mowing the lawn to set your tone

This might just be a great place to start.

Scott Nipper

Folsom, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 10:38 am     Transitioning from the bedroom to the bandstand

This topic is so very timely for me. I really appreciate the great advice you all have.

For me, I get to rehearsal and all those wonderful little tasty licks I practiced to death in my garage just fall apart once we're in real-time and live (even though I'm practicing to our rehearsal tapes). Then I hit clunkers and I'll get a "dirty" look from someone or a comment afterwards "someone's out of tune."

I'm playing with really good players and while I'm a great guitar player, I just started steel about 8 months ago (after 1 year of playing steel about 4 years ago).

I think one problem I have is I want to be able to play my guitar licks on the steel and I simply don't have the right hand (finger picks versus flat pick - though I do play guitar with a combination of flat picks and fingers, which does help) or the steel movement (I get so frustrated when the steel won't move like my left hand fingers do! Smile )

And then I think of my bandmates - where was your competence level after 8 months of learning YOUR instrument!

My biggest problem is I want to be playing through the whole songs - chords during verses and choruses, licks between vocal phrases (competing with mandolin player - who is REALLY good) and the keyboard player, and then whip it out on a solo. All I do is get lost. By the time I've figured out where I am, that part's past!

I love the comment "steel comes from the depth of the song" and play the intro, drop out during verses, play the chorus, repeat, and maybe a little tag at the end. That is so hard for a guitar player who is used to playing something all the time because it was needed.

At last rehearsal, the mando player and keyboard player and me all agreed we need to work on our arrangements so we're not stepping on each other.

Love the instrument, but it's not guitar!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 5:45 pm    

Pat Chong wrote:

I give talks in front an audience, and playing music in front of a crowd is not much different.

Pat, while I find the rest of your post to be excellent advice, I respectfully disagree - in my personal case - with the part I have quoted. I can, and have, given presentations in front of a decent size audience with no nerve or jitters at all. Sitting down at the steel live, it takes me quite a while to get into a comfort zone, and even then I'm not at ease. Hopefully with time and experience that will pass, but thus far I have not developed the confidence as a musician that I have as a speaker.

John Butler wrote:
But I've found that the only cure for bandstand-itis is a lot more time on the bandstand.

That makes sense and I believe you are right. Tough to get enough live time in some places though.