The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton pedal
Jim Brown

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 7:28 am    

When I use the Hilton volume pedal, my speakers sound
like they are distorting. When use my Goodrich L120, the speakers sound clean. Any suggestions, thanks.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 7:40 am    

When using the Hilton, try plugging into the 'Low Gain' input on your amp if one is available or if not; there is an output adjustment on the underside of the pedal (on the older pedals the knob is labelled as 'Volume'), you might try adjusting that counterclockwise for lower output gain.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 7:42 am    

I assume your Goodrich pedal has a pot. If that is true, then it is not sending as hot a signal to the amp as is the Hilton. If you overload the input of the amp you get distortion. You have to reduce the input signal to get rid of the distortion. So turn the amp up and you will hopefully use less volume from the pedal, which means a cleaner signal.

So Turn It Up!!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 8:37 am    

I recently repaired a Hilton that was causing distortion. It was one of the older Hilton's with the permanently attached power supply. One of the voltages was very low from the power supply. I had a (new) spare Motorola power supply that I had bought for myself but used to repair the person's pedal as he was a winter resident and leaving in a couple days to go back north (to Canada).

The new power supply fixed the problem.

Jim Brown

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 9:53 am     Response

Thanks for the quick responses, I do not know the year or model, it has only a spot on the bottom, that says
"Off Point" apparently it sets the sound on/off starting point according to the operating instructions
and you need a very small screw driver to adjust it

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 10:56 am    

What type/voltage power supply does it have? It sounds like a later one with a plug in type power supply. There are two different voltage "wall wart" power supplies that I know of.

Mine has a 12VDC power supply. The other one is a higher voltage (maybe 24VDC - its marked on the power supply). If you have a volt meter you can check to see what voltage the power supply is putting out.

Jim Brown

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 11:54 am     Hilton pedal

The paper work says, 24 volts DC..current requirements
50 mil-amps. I presume that is what came with the pedal?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 1:20 pm    

Yes. That is the "latest" steel pedal that I know of.
Do you have a voltmeter to measure the voltage? That would be my first stab at troubleshooting.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 1:21 pm    

Jim, thanks for using one of my pedals. I have been building, and repairing these pedals for over 20 years.
I will try to explain what I think is causing the distortion, and possible solutions. A pot pedal actually loses some signal, even when it is wide open. A pot pedal will normally lose 8 to 10% of the sine wave coming from the guitar. That is probably why the pot pedal is not distorting the amp input. The Hilton pedal can be set to lose signal, have unity gain, or increase the signal. In your "case" with one control on the bottom of the pedal---the gain can can be controlled with the "off point" adjustment. With the pedal turned upside down--turning the off point adjustment like a clock turns, greatly increases output signal. Likewise turning the off point the opposite way a clock turns greatly decreases signal. You can not be sloppy in adjusting the off point. Extremely small movements of the off point can cause huge changes in the output of the pedal. I normally set pedals up by inputting a 100 mili-volt sine wave into the pedal. When the pedal will barely go off in the back position, I set the wide open output at 100 mili-volts out. With the off point set correctly, you should get 100 in and 100 out---unity gain. If you are getting distortion, you probably have the off point set too far like a clock turns. If this does not solve the problem, then it is possible the off point is broken. The off point has stops, and if someone forces the adjustment past one of it's stop points it ruins the adjustment. If the off point is broken it can cause problems. It is also possible that one of the control parts on the circuit board needs to be replaced. I do repair pedals no matter how old they are. For repair details contact me at klhilton@aol.com By the way, the power supply must be 24 volts DC regulated. If you are using a unregulated power supply, that can cause the pedal to not work correctly. Also--using the VooDoo brand power supply set on 24 volts will cause problems, because the VooDoo power supply can not produce accurate 24 volts DC.