The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Software that transcribes what you play?
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2017 12:03 pm    

OK, After sending $59 to tabedit, I realized that it does not import audio. Did anyone ever develop software that imports audio and transcribes it in tab and notation for pedal steel? I'm just tired of tabbing stuff out by hand.

Oh... Windows software....

Wolfgang Mrazek

Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 3:05 pm    

I would like to the same thing. I haven't tried this but:

TablEdit can import midi files. And there is a SW for Windows, Jam Origion, that can generate midi files from guitar pickups. This means you have to do it in two steps.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 8:08 pm    

Something sacred like transcribing should never be entrusted to a computer. No one would learn a dang thing. It would be the beginning of the end.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 5:44 am    

Yeah, it's very much a computer age thing. It's tempting, but not a teaching tool, IMO.

If I imagine using it on a piano keyboard (I can't imagine using it for guitar), I'd have a digital reproduction of what I played.
If it weren't the right chord, what would I do, edit the reproduction? Then I'd have the right chord, and what do I do with it?

I'm just dubious, and an old fart that can't feature what Bach would do with one.
It may be that I don't use tablature. And I don't need a unit to tell me what chord I'm playing.

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 10:46 am    

Transcribing music correctly from audio recordings is a difficult task for a computer. I haven't come across anything that does it.

Will Hart

St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 10:56 am    

I looked into this several years ago. There are programs available but they require a digital signal as from an electronic piano or keyboard and they were strictly for musical notation and not tabbing. Of course things can change

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 11:32 am    

There are a number of programs that do this, convert recorded audio to midi, which could then be imported into TablEdit. Intelliscore, Audioscore, even Melodyne Editor do this, many others too. It's doubtful though that you will get acceptably accurate results without a lot of manual tweaking on all but the most simple single instrument tracks.

Presumably the OP is after something that will accurately extract just the psg from an existing recording, which would be a long shot with currently available technology.

Melodyne will convert a single (polyphonic) instrument track very accurately but it doesn't differentiate between different instruments so multiple instruments would become a big midi mish-mash. If the OP wants to tab recordings of his own playing where he can record an isolated track of just the psg, then convert it, one of these programs might work to an acceptable level to get the correct notes into TablEdit. It would still require a human brain to tweak it.

I once tried a demo of AudioScore to see if it could isolate horn parts for transcription. It claims it can discern the different instruments in a full band mix and isolate them into to separate midi tracks but... not so much.

Perhaps the OP can download a few demos and try them out. I kind of agree with Mike N. though, and in the end it's unlikely it would save much if any time or effort.

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 12:04 pm    

In addition to what the others have said, I'd like to mention Transcribe! by Seventh String as an incredibly useful tool. It can speed up, slow down, modulate, change left/right balance, put left/right out of phase, EQ, and give note/frequency/chord guesses for a selected timespan.

It has been extremely helpful for me when I'm trying to unravel a song that I'm trying to arrange. It also supports marking beats, measures, and sections (no automated way for this AFAIK).

Another potential use for it is what anacquaintance of mine does: he uses it to listed to songs at 2x speed to quickly become familiar with the form of a song he'll have to play with a band.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 1:33 pm     Riffstation software

Anyone try riffstation? It's not going to do tab but if your looking to break down riffs,and licks, I can see where it could be very helpful!

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 2:10 pm    

I had something years ago gor guitar. Vox something or other. Hex pickup for your guitar. A later software update would do tab.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 4:36 pm     Ears

My ears were my best source of tab and teach. Never have used tab. Ok for some I guess. Never got into it myself.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 2 May 2017 1:10 pm    

PCs, tab and notation only tell you what your destination is and how long you stay there. Not how to get there or what you do after you get there.

If a PC could do all those things it would be doing the gigs!

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 10:09 pm    

The problem is simple - notes on the steel - or any "fretted" string instrument and many others - can be found in several different places. Players often use different positions to play at different times.

A machine can only interpret things like music in a "yes"/"no" format - and music is "maybe here...or maybe there".

There's absolutely no way to make it work. How would the computer know *which* "A2" to pick?

It's been considered but can't be done.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2017 4:40 pm     Tab from Audio

One only has to look at the end result of interpreting audio with software such as Capo to understand the difficulty AI has with this. The program logic can not solve questions that are not definitive. The answer always has to yes or no pending a definition. In other words as others have stated. If there is more than one way to play something it is by chance alone a program could decode it. But I still want one.