The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons S10 PP Serial Number
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 5:24 pm    

At our WTSGA meeting Sunday, I had several people ask me what year my S10 PP is. I don't know. It is 1702 S. It has the late style pedals and knee levers so I figure it's fairly late as PP's go. Anyone got the info?

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 9:03 pm    

By late style pedals, do you mean the extruded aluminum ones like on the later LeGrandes, or the narrow cast ones from the mid-late '70s? I have 1667 S, it has the narrow cast pedals.

The person I bought it from said they thought it was early 80s, but others have said more like '78, so I would like to know this about mine too.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 2 May 2017 2:40 pm    

Ian, I don't know exactly how to tell, but my best guess these pedals are extruded. I don't see any evidence that they are cast.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 3:07 pm    

The extruded pedals look like this:

the cast ones look like this:

The transition happened in the early '80s but I don't know just when. Somewhere in the 34 guitars between yours and mine though I guess.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 3 May 2017 11:25 am    

Yes sir Ian, extruded. Seems Emmons PP S10 serial numbers are a bit of a mystery.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 12:18 pm    

Sometime when Emmons began manufacturing the LeGrande model, the serialization of the PPs that were being built changed to the 6XXX numbering scheme for D-10 Originals (e.g. my 1983 PP is 6612.) It has the extruded pedals.

I'm not sure if the serialization for the S-10 PPs changed. Nor have I ever seen an S-10 LeGrande, for that matter. All have been SD-10s.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 2:03 pm    

Danny Letz wrote:
...Seems Emmons PP S10 serial numbers are a bit of a mystery.

Yes, and the response has been overwhelming! There have been several discussion here in the past, but I think there is a lot more misinformation here than fact. I trust anything from Herb though!

There have been several heated discussions here about D-10 serial numbers in the past. Someone had published a list with number ranges and dates, the veracity of which has been challenged. The early guitars pre-'67 had different numbering schemes, i.e., invoice number, (inaccurate) sequential number with the year, etc.

I haven't seen anything very comprehensive on the S10s, but sifting through/weeding out the more obviously incorrect or questionable posts here, I have gleaned (from one of Herb's posts I believe) that "10## S" numbers started sometime in '66. Out of the dozens of posts on the subject, a few chronological tidbits that seemed credible, or least from reputable sources here:

Quote:
1068 S. It's a 1966 S-10 bolt-on
Quote:
1088 S, 1967
Quote:
1157 S which, according to the previous owner, was verified by the Emmons Co as being made in 1971
Quote:
1190 S, that would be late 1971
Quote:
1314 S.....bought new here in Australia.... Sept 1974
Quote:
1352 S (1974)
Quote:
1423 S and according to Mr. Lashley at Emmons it was made in Dec. of 1975
Quote:
1433 S, late 1975 or early '76
Quote:
14XX range (3 of them on my list) were all built in 1975
Quote:
1979 - Ser #1609

I also saw a pic in a for sale ad of #1677 S, it had the cast pedals like mine. If the last date listed is correct, that would put the high 16##/17## numbers like yours and mine into the '80s. I assume the switch to extruded pedals happened at the same time for S10s as for D10s, but I haven't been able to figure very precisely when that was. Perhaps around '82?

I have an earlier '70s S10 too, fat back with wide pedals, rosewood with a brown metal badge. I don't know the ser# off the top of my head but it is 12-something. Based on the scattered info above it sounds like it would be ~'72-'73, which seems about right.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 3 May 2017 3:46 pm    

I going to assume mine is probably an 80's. It's a great little guitar whatever it is. Anyone else with any feedback would be appreciated. Ian has been a big help.