The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Its over
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 3:47 pm    

After playing around for about 5 years with the pedals and levers im giving it up , kind of a sad day for myself but realizing it aint gonna work out for me and the pedal steel guitar , I went through several guitars thinking i needed something better but i was wrong about that had an msa , a simons , super pro ( they seen me coming on that one ) had a excell (real garbage ) a wheeler 14 string a sierra and the last was a BMI which was a very good guitar, didnt get along with any of them I had great expectations for myself and i still love that sound they make but like i said ya gotta realize what you can and cant do. bye bye pedal steel guitar Ill always love ya but we aint never gonna be a pair, Crying or Very sad ( wrote this to sooth myself , I dought anyone cares but i had to say something , anyways it wasnt fun it was nothing but disheartment realizing what i had to do .Maybe i was too serious I dont know maybe someday ill try again , who knows lolol

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 3:58 pm    

You may be wise to cut your losses and move on, but I can tell you from experience 5 yrs. is nothing in the time course of learning pedal steel guitar...and that's just the E9 neck.

I was into it about 10 yrs. playing and practicing several hours a day before I felt like I had accomplished very much.

Different guitars and gear is not the answer provided you had modern guitars in good repair with modern setups. If there were issues, that's another story. It's hard to learn on a guitar that doesn't work well, won't stay in tune etc.

However, sometimes one must face facts and move along. No point just aggravating yourself.

Perhaps you may feel like revisiting the instrument sometime in the future.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 4:59 pm    

Did you try pedal steel as your first instrument, or had you played regular 6 string guitar previously?
I couldn't imagine making a pedal steel someone's first musical instrument and expecting to have success with it.

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 5:47 pm    

I have played 6 string guitar for most of my life long time lol I read music and can play just about anything i want to play on a 6 string , I did learn a few songs on the steel my grips and finding chords up and down the neck wasnt hard for me and scale work was there also but the music just didnt come out right and cordination was coming along but everything is just not up to par i guess you could say , just wasnt doing it for me and i felt it was a waste of my time and effort to continue i wasted money got snookered by one person bought junk and it all left me with a very big let down , guitars are all gone now , maybe being in my late 60s its hard to learn new things like i did when i was younger , wasted money and time .Guess ill just keep jammin on my 6 stringers . Rocky

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 6:15 pm    

Russel I can tell in your writing that your disapointed , it sure seems like you had quite a bit downpat but as you know its an art of thinking with touch and graceful reactions, Ive seen some players that dont recognize how good or bad that they think they are , and I see they dont care, but the enjoyment it carries is priceless, a musician thats a perfectionist is usually of a better grade in my book , theres nothing wrong with wanting it perfect, its just not easy sometimes , good luck or good riddens , either way keep it fun , thanks for sharing your experience with us you seem to have a nice quality in understanding, youd probably be a great teacher in this field

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 6:23 pm    

Well, it definitely is a difficult instrument, no doubt about that. Miss your mark by 1/8th of an inch and it sounds horrible. Mr. Green
Keep jamming on your 6 stringers. I only took this up because my fretting hand started giving me all kinds of trouble, carpal and cubital tunnel. Hard to fret a string when your fingers are numb. Shocked

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 12:49 am    

sorry to hear this Russell, maybe one day down the road you will give it another shot.

I have a different take on this instrument, it's not hard to learn musically or to transfer previous guitar knowledge over to the Pedal Steel, but there are several physical challenges that we must conquer before we can pull out the music.

Patience and a teacher who is able to bring you along slowly and correctly will do the trick. The biggest problem I have seen with new students that have come thru my studio is they want to learn how to tune on day one and play Rocky Top on day two.

Best to you Russell.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 1:06 am    

I was totally overwhelmed by pedal steel when I first got one (even though I was already a guitar player).

It never really started to make sense to me until years later after returning to it after having played lap steel for a few years. It was so much easier to figure out what my feet and knees were supposed to do when I already knew what my hands were supposed to be doing.

But the key phrase for me in your post was "it wasn't fun". That's the time to give up - even if you are really good at something. Maybe a bit further down the road you'll get the bug again and this time it will be fun. Maybe give lap steel a try for a while. If you're into old school country (E.g. Hank Snr.) you might find it clicks with you.

Last edited by Jeff Mead on 15 Apr 2017 7:06 am; edited 4 times in total

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 6:37 am    

This is my experience and not necessarily the right way for anyone else.

I had a musician friend that was always encouraging me to try a lap steel. I was a slide guitar player so it seemed like a logical step.

Well I never got the lap steel but I did find an old Sho-Bud Maverick and that was that.

I studied the Newman materials and was able to make some musical sound after about 6 months. Then family, job, and life in general forced me into a lack of interest. I gave it up for about 5 years. I never gave up my picks and bar or any of the materials I acquired.

I bought another Maverick and gave it another shot. This time the Maverick lasted 6 months before I bought an S-10 Emmons P/P and I really got into it. I even went to the Newman Top Gun school for 3 days. That really set me on the path. I started trying to play in bands, and really learn the instrument.

Then family, job, and life in general forced me into a lack of interest. I gave it up for about another 5 years.

I sold my amps and Emmons (deeply regretted). Now rinse and repeat all of the above at least twice.

Fast forward about 10 years and I just couldn't stay away. I bought a lap steel, then an S-10 BMI, then a Zum SD-12, Then a Carter S-12.

This time it stuck. For the last 10 years I've never been away from a steel more than a few days at a time.
I play regularly in 2 different bands and have been privileged to record on 3 different indie released CD's.

Am I as good as I should be for all the time I spent on this instrument. Not hardly. Bottom line for me was I just couldn't put this infernal contraption down. As hard as I tried to ignore it something always pulled me back in.

Sometimes we have to step back and see where we've come from to know where we're going. If it's in your DNA you'll be back. If it's not then you've gained some valuable experience from all that time spent. No real effort is ever wasted.

Do I still want to quit sometimes after a bad gig or recording experience, Hell Yea!

But sadly for me it seems to be in MY DNA and I just can't think of leaving my band buddies in a pinch looking for another steel player.

Sorry for the long post but it's Saturday morning and I've had a lot of coffee.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 11:00 am     Its over?.

Seriously?......Ive only been ..trying...for 5 years..I know just enough to be real bad at it....a old sage asked me once how I was doing on it and I said I was hoing to sell my guitar back to him...but the I said that no matter how bad I thought I was at it ..It sur is fun....he slapoed the back of my head..amd said..now you've got it...Bobbe Seymour...God Bless all here.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 11:25 pm    

Ollin, you sound exactly like me. How ever I have no one in my area to play with, or really give lessons. Those on internet, cost is hard to make. They are expensive. I started in 1985, and like you been up and down, sold everything, then bought it back, and kept buying different guitars, amp, and etc. I am now 76, still working at it, probably will never give up. I played 6 string since I was about 10 years old, worked with many bands years ago, when there were bands, and did a lot of front work, singing. If you can keep a guitar and the important items, and just enjoy it. I have a Zum StageOne, Mullen Discovery, and a Carter U-12, If I had to I would keep either the Zum or the Mullen, for just that reason.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 1:41 pm    

You stated you having been 5 years trying to learn.. ok, 5 years.. Now is that an hour a day for 5 years?.. an hour a week?.. 5 hours a week, a day a month?...
As a young man I would put 5-10 hours a day into intensive practice , week after week, month after month.. For many it takes single minded determination.. Some of us can make those sacrifices, others simply can't. Life gets in the way..

Keep playing, what do you have to lose?.. If you devote more time and energy, you can't do any worse can you?.. you can only improve. Maybe that will get you over the hump.

If its any help at all, realize that some truly great musicians have failed badly at pedal steel, and some pretty poor ones had a fairly easy time of it.. I will NEVER understand why,but it beats some, and others are truly fine players in a year or less... It makes no sense to quit. you HAVE a steel, just play it. You can't regress, only progress, its that simple. Play your steel as often as you can, and simply enjoy it . bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Steve Berthel

Kalamazoo, Michigan USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 4:57 am    

I took up pedal steel 8 years ago at age 54. I had no previous experience playing any stringed instrument, just trumpet and french horn. It is definitely the hardest thing I have undertaken and I have been frustrated many times, but when you finally hit something right, the feeling is beyond words. I have found the hardest things are learning the timing of the dance on the pedals and knee levers, and strong right hand technique. Practice makes perfect, so play when you can, and enjoy the sounds you are creating

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 6:33 am    

Back in the 70's it took me about 4 years before I was able to even think of performing with a new small band I was asked to join. Boy I sounded like crap but as I progressed and learned by ear and by tab it eventually came together when I concentrated on my version of Bud's Bounce and Steel Guitar Rag thanks to the Tomm Cattin Album(yea record) Oh yea, to me, I still sound like crap with a little polish. Shocked

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 8:52 am    

I'll add to my previous reply, I had been playing my Red Baron for about a year and just acquired a D10 Emmons before I took some local lessons for a couple months.

Down to Jeff Newman's school in Nashville for a week and immediately sought out opportunities to play with others when I got back.

I was on a sales route, so I told everybody I was looking for a chance to play. I knew I wasn't any good, but the drive and desire was there.

A local group of young guys got the word about steel and included me in their gigs. They played hard country, rock and blues, southern rock, some light jazz and bluegrass. It was the best education I could have gotten. We played off and on, and I took every other thing I was offered from others in between, and ran ads looking for playing. I was turned down maybe once due to my inexperience but overall, I had all I wanted to do.

If you wait until you're ready, you'll never do it because you'll never be ready. Get out there and play even if you suck, there are groups and individuals all over the place out there that would love to have the steel sound in their music.
..and you'll be forced to learn things more quickly because you'll have to play something, ready or not.

Also, there's a ton of information out there. You can see and hear how things are done on some of the online videos. Stuff that I would have loved to have back in the day...it just wasn't this available then. There's really no excuse for not learning basics with all of this out there. The rest takes a lot of time in the seat, dedication and desire.

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 5:38 pm    

Thank you all for your comments and kindness , guitars are gone now and most of the learning stuff i had bought , maybe one day ill return back to the steel , i sure love that sound so maybe someday and thanks again .maybe i was too serious about learning that it became where it wasnt enjoyable or fun , i dont know , maybe someday.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 3:56 am    

I hope you'll hang around the forum, Russell.
One of the great things about steel guitar is this community.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 6:11 am    

Russell Adkins wrote:
Thank you all for your comments and kindness , guitars are gone now and most of the learning stuff i had bought , maybe one day ill return back to the steel , i sure love that sound so maybe someday and thanks again .maybe i was too serious about learning that it became where it wasnt enjoyable or fun , i dont know , maybe someday.

I haven't read all the replies, so maybe someone suggested it already - maybe try lap steel? I think the transition from standard guitar to lap steel makes for an easier learning curve, depending on what style you are going after.

But, when you get down to it, ya gotta do it because you love it. There's really no other reason. Short of that, you'll find little motivation. If the process of learning is too frustrating, it'll just wear on you. So the love of the challenge is important. There are very few pedal steel players around where I live, so people talk to me about it a lot. I always describe the instrument as the most beautiful & wonderfully confounding instrument I've ever played.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 11:05 am    

Im holding Russel future guitar hostage for now, haha all in fun Russel sounds like youve made some friends here,
Heres a couple pics you wanted 2 years ago

puttin new strings on

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 12:42 pm    

oh my my your killin me craig lol I can almost feel the temptation of sliding my bar up and down those necks ha ha thats one beautiful steel , ill keep the pics to remind me,maybe one day Ill try again lol thanks ( Ill be hangin round here anyways )

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 1:00 pm    

Good to hear and we shall see you in the future lol

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 1:01 pm    

Good to hear and we shall see you in the future lol

Bob Jennings

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2017 5:52 am     It's Over

You been trying too many different pedal steels. I bought a well used Sho-Bud Lloyd Green Steel Guitar ten years ago and learned on it. I did the Bud Issacs run(Slowly)about a thousand times and the basic run in G to C to D. Always wondered how the guys could play so good and I was just, just doing chords. I went to the 3 day Newman Top Gun School, made my own rhythm tracks, got the Steve P. beginners video and learned a song from it, bought some rhythm tracks and played along with them. I tried going to some Jam Sessions and found I was no good at doing this sort of thing. I went to the Convention in St. Louis, tried most of the Pedal Steels there and then went back to the Sho-Bud for another year; went back again to the Convention and picked the Williams Single on a Double Frame. This was seven years ago. I don't have the knowledge of the pedal steel to accompany anyone but can play along with my tracks. I like doing the Traditional Country Songs (someone mentioned these songs) and find that I can do these very nicely. Get the Video of Webb Pierce and play along with Sonny Burnett and I think that you will find you really like this easy playing style.
This is just my experience with the pedal steel. I only wish that I could find someone that likes to do the old country songs; I think that I could back them up with the old style play steel....

Bob Jennings

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2017 9:58 am    

hell I been trying for over 30 years and still ain't worth a crap

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 9:10 pm    

Quote:
After playing around for about 5 years with the pedals and levers im giving it up

I may be the one exception (I usually am!) but I congratulate you. It takes a lot go guts to decide it's just not working - and if it's truly not there is no reason to continue beating your head against the wall until the headache stops!

I'm in my mid-60's and have given up other instruments for the same reason. I understand your thinking completely. I almost did the same thing with pedal steel - I ended up changing to a different type of steel (8 string) and a different copedent that made sense to me. I don't play country so that direction made sense.

Have fun and don't worry about it!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional