The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Walker Stereo Steel Review
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 9:28 am    

Here's my take on the Walker Stereo Steel. It's working out great and you can hear it, see it and even experience a few more things at the link below!

Walker Stereo Steel Review

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 2:59 pm    

I've been using the Stereo Steel for about 7 years and I love it. I started out with a ProFex II and then changed over to a T..C. M-300 unit. The overall sound is really incomparable compaired to other set ups. I highly recommend it to anyone. In fact, I used it just recently on a studio session. The engineer milked both speakers and the playback was stunning and really full sounding. I'm glad that, I finally got one.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 4:04 pm    

I do not have one but I think it is the best sounding steel amp on the market. I hope to have one before long.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 5:05 pm    

What do you like better, the Walker or the Telonics combo?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 5:52 pm    

Copied from my other forum post:

I have had no problem getting great sound out of the Stereo Steel, Telonics TCA-500C, Fender Steel King, Peavey Nashville 400, Session 400 or Webb 6-14-E most of which I have tried with my MSA Legend, Sho-Bud Pro-II and my Emmons push pull. Can't imagine anyone not liking one of those amps with the right combination of speaker, foot volume, pickups, possible mods etc. I have not had very good luck getting my sound with any of the Evans amps, Randall Steelman 500, Twin Reverb, Quilter or the Nashville 500 or 112. This probably angers a lot of people that have and love those amps when I say this. But we all have opinions based on our experience and preferences.

The Stereo Steel has the advantage of true stereo output with two built in 300 watt power amps. For the studio I greatly prefer closed back cabinets. Out on a gig, definitely open back. I have only tried the JBL speakers in the Stereo Steel so I can't comment on the Black Widow setup.

The Telonics TCA-500C has a ton of useful unique features including light weight, dobro sim, world class DI interface, LED lighting, super low noise floor, effects remote control.

Both the Stereo Steel and the Telonics have awesome sound, great effects and outstanding customer service.

I think the Stereo Steel has a little fatter sound with the stereo setup but the Telonics is perhaps more versatile for use with other instruments. I've sold my Princeton, Vibro-Champ and Deluxe Reverb amps since getting the Telonics and it's all I use for fiddle and guitar (sometimes add the Keeeley compressor for guitar).

As has been said many times, you really need to try these amps yourself and what works in the basement may suck on a gig where acoustics, increased volume, interaction with other instruments and far field sound come into play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 9:23 am    

Lots of email discussions on this. A few pointed out that you could put neo speakers in the cabs and easily drop 18 or more pounds off the total weight.

Many talk about the cost of this or the Telonics as being pretty high. The cost is not high compared to most of the boutique tube amps that offer a lot less features and power for steel guitar. Many of my neighbors have spend $8k of four wheelers, $10k on snowmobiles, $15k on a boat, $12K on a camper, $23k on a Harley and the list goes on and on. If steel guitar is your main hobby, these amps are worth every penny and are a lot cheaper to buy than the other hobbies I posted above!

Many thanks for Telonics, Stereo Steel and Williams Guitar Company for sharing their thoughts with me on the reviews and offering me more insights into their products. My 8 amp stable is now down to 2 amps and this makes the studio and gig setups a lot simpler. Also a lot less pasture is needed to graze the herd!

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 4:02 pm    

I really appreciate the reviews, Greg. When I found out that Gary Carter was using a Telonics on his recent excellent sounding videos, I knew I had to have one. Not that I can play like him, but sounding your best is motivating, in its own right.
I may not be able to justify a $6,000 Zum even though I do want one, but I will eventually be able to scratch together enough to put half that on a nice Telonics.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 4:04 pm    

At steel shows, I've never heard a bad sound from players using the SS on stage.
JayDee and Kevin Ryan as 2 fine examples.
I have also heard great tone, and not so good, sounds from the Telonics. I suspect that amp has so many variables that it can be challenging for some to adjust.
The one time I played through a Telonics amp, it sounded perfect the minute I plugged in.
J

Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 4:10 pm    

Greg, sent you an email on the subject. Thanks!

Keenan

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 4:34 pm    

Keenan, I have not seen an email from you arrive yet!

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 11:48 am    

The Walker Stereo Steel is a great amp. I used the Pre-Amp version on the road for about the last 6 years, and it provided the best solid state sound I have used. Tons of "EQ-ability". I can't imagine not being able to dial in what you are looking for with it.

I'm looking forward to putting it back to use as an in-town rig (went to a direct setup on the road).

Sincerely,

David Spires

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 5:30 am    

Greg,
I am with you all the way. Mine is the best sounding rig I have ever played through. I would add that since it is broken into (3) pieces it is a lot easier to carry and store.
Lefty

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 5:54 pm    

Just fixed the HTML link for the effects settings in pdf and xls formats so that they work now.

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 2:18 pm    

@Greg Cutshaw

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the Stereo Steel Pictures. Very interesting Smile

Bob
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.