The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Humbucker wiring diagram
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 5:12 pm    

I'm rebuilding my wife's old lap steel. I am putting in a humbucker that a friend of her's had. It's a copy of a soapbar p/u. there will be an audio taper volume control with three tabs. The one I removed only had two. I have a white wire, green and red soldered together, and black and ground soldered together. I need to know where the different wires hook to the volume control, and to the jack.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 6:04 pm    

Quote: "...there will be an audio taper volume control with three tabs. The one I removed only had two."

From your wording, it sounds like the previous volume control only had two tabs. I'll assume that this is not true, and that the pot had three tabs.

At any rate, you didn't state the manufacturer or the model of pickup. Whomever it is, they should have this information on their web site, or you should be able to call them and find out. As a matter of fact, you could ask the person that you got it from.

Assuming that the person you got this from had it wired up right, taking a stab at it (the CAPS do not mean I'm yelling).........

I have a white wire, GOES TO ONE OF THE OUTSIDE LUGS ON THE VOLUME CONTROL. (WHICH ONE, KIND OF HARD TO DESCRIBE. IF THE VOLUME CONTROL WORKS BACKWARDS WHEN YOU'RE ALL DONE, REVERSE THE CONNECTIONS TO THE TWO OUTSIDE LUGS ON THE POT.)

green and red soldered together, LEAVE THEM AS IS, NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING ELSE

and black and ground soldered together. GOES TO THE OTHER OUTSIDE TERMINAL ON THE VOLUME POT, AS WELL AS SOLDERED TO THE CASE OF THE POT.

The center lug on the volume pot goes to the output jack.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 6:48 pm    

It's also possible that it only HAD two tabs, with the case an implied third tab.
ajm has the rewire right, though

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 8:05 am    

The volume control definitely only had two lugs. The pickup has never been installed before. The friend got it through Amazon. From China. No wiring diagram.

Thanks for the info. If all goes right, I should be done with it today. I have to make a cover plate to mount the pickup. The old pickup was a real work of art. This is not just a drop-in type situation.

The guitar was my wife's mother's guitar. When she was about 8 - 10 years old she took lessons for a while. That would make this guitar about a 1940 build. This was one of those cheap guitars that you got for taking lessons. A real piece of junk. Probably not worth $5. The brand is Nioma. It's sentimental to my wife. She wanted me to make it playable as a birthday present. She thinks she wants to learn to play it.

The guitar was in storage for maybe 50 years. Pretty bad shape. When I first plugged it in to an amp, it sounded like a jet was taking off. The tuning keys were crumbling. So, I replaced the tuning keys, pot, pickup, output jack. Hopefully it will be playable. I plan on putting a G dobro tuning on it. Maybe an A. If it plays in tune, I might use my dobro sim, and use it on stage. That will keep me from using pedals when I play dobro on my pedal steel. I'm not holding out much hope though.