The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Encore has spoiled me on... Lap steels?
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 1:41 pm    

Bear with me here, this is not a detailed lap issue and is more about the Encore so I figured this was the bestplace for it.

Been playing PSG for about a year and a half now, all of it on an Encore. My teacher had me playing Steel Guitar Rag so just for kicks I decided to head to a vintage guitar store and try out some vintage lap steels (a fender and a no-name, IIRC) as I figured that at some point I'd proably want to own one. Plugged in a couple and wasn't impressed at all. A week or so earlier I had also plugged in my buddy's all-original Gibson 57 lap (gorgeous looking) and it was nicer but just wasn't impressed. The Encore just sounded so dang good even when not using any levers or pedals at all.

I wasn't expecting much, and I think I had my expectations suitably low, but it left me thinking that when I eventually pick up a lap I'm going to have to be really choosy. Til then I'll just keep playing Steel Guitar Rag on the Encore.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 9:49 am    

I got lucky when I found my 1956 Stringmaster. It was in a reputable shop, had new strings, was in tune, and plugged into a Twin. Not knowing the first thing about how to play it, I gave the open strings a strum. The clarity was amazing and that E6 chord sustained forever. 10 minutes later it was paid for ($400 in 1978) and in my car.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 10:33 am    

On my Sho~Bud I sometimes play some non-pedal style stuff but even though I have my regular 6 string A6 tuning available on it, it just doesn't sound quite right. Certainly for recording I'd use one of my Fenders or even my Gibson BR9 for that stuff in preference to the pedal steel.