The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NEW Book! Exploring Open D (and related tunings)
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 5:36 am    

Exploring Open D (and Related Tunings).

Full info/sound clips here:

http://www.volkmediabooks.com/products-books/exploring-open-d-and-related-tunings

New Book available in about 2 weeks!
Note: website says "sold out" as it doesn't have any other way to display zero books in stock. Books are being printed now and I expect to be able to ship in about 2 weeks.

Open D tuning (low to High) D A D F# A D, is one of the most popular tunings used by lap steel and bottleneck players around the globe across a wide variety of musical genres. . This comprehensive 152-page, spiral-bound book for Dobro, Weissenborn & Electric Lap Steel Guitars gives you the info you need to understand Open D Tuning (and its related tunings of Dmaj7, Dminor, Dsus Tuning (DADGAD), and D6th) to play, arrange and improvise in whatever style you want to play.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 5:23 pm    

Can't wait! Sounds fantastic, Andy!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 5:04 am    

Thanks, Mark!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 8:16 am    

Looks like another winner Andy.

And I'm glad to see that at least in the example of TAB you displayed on the website, not every song included will be in the key of D. You show The Allman Brothers Jessica in A major, of course closely related to D major, but it's still not D.

With the root note D appearing on three of the six strings in Open D sometimes when I come across publications of songs in D tuning, there is a tendency to arrange most everything in the key of D. In that scenario, after awhile I think both the player and listener can get "D'd out."

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 11:23 am    

It's the same dilemma with Dobro in G tuning. You have to work to avoid it - especially 'cause of the pure physics of how everything resonates so well in the open tunings. In some cases the open strings are integral to the feel of a given tune or arrangement so a capo is recommend as the best option for changing keys.

Here are the keys for the songs in the book. You can judge for yourself how well I did in avoiding "Open D fatigue."

Shenandoah - D
    Buckaroo - D
    Amie - A
    Blue Bayou - A
    Blue Jade - D
    Mizrab - E
    Jessica - A
    Sweet Tea - E
    Girl From Ipanema - D
    Sound of Music - D
    My Little Boat - Bb
    Scarborough Fair - F
    Concerto De Aranjuez - Am
    Hard Time Killing Floor - F
    Jig Medley - D modal
    Danny Boy - D
    Shady Grove - D
    Manoir De Mes Reves - D
    Hula Blues - F

Last edited by Andy Volk on 14 Apr 2017 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 1:22 pm    

Looks good, Andy. You're on a roll!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 1:51 pm    

Andy Volk wrote:
It's the same dilemma with Dobro in G tuning.

I think Open D is a great tuning, but I know a number of players who pay for the roof over their head primarily by playing a G tuned dobro who would disagree with you. And as one who has made "tens of dollars" at it, I tend agree with these pros. No one would ever mistake me for being a great player, but I started on dobro 40 years ago so I don't find Open G presenting the same issues as D, and that just might be my frame of reference since I have been at it for so long with G being my preferred tuning.

So I guess it usually comes down to the frame of reference thing, and I know Andy that over the years when it comes to six string lap style guitars in open major chord tunings you seem to tend toward the Open D side of the spectrum.

Don't get me wrong - I love Open D and the "voice" it gives an instrument, along with all these variations of the tuning that you will be including in the book - looking forward to this one. But for me D is a nice change to add variety and sort of like having a different type of wine with each course of a great dinner. It's a different deal with a weissie since the construction of the instrument does not lend itself to GBDGBD. So I am referring primarily to dobro/resonator/lap steel.

And great work on the variety of keys for the songs - It appears you did a fine job in avoiding "Open D fatigue."

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 13 Apr 2017 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 1:55 pm    

Looking forward to it, Andy. All of your materials are extremely thorough, accurate, and high quality.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 10:40 am    

Thanks, Jeff.

And Mark, I have no beef with open G at all. I play open D more often as I just prefer the way it's voiced with the root on top. I remember a Jerry Douglas comment from a performance video where he has commented that he was happy to play a tune that wasn't in G so I don't think I'm completely making that up. Anyway, All the notes are there on any tuning it's all how ya throw 'em up in the air and see how they land. Lots of folks play G tuning on a Weissenborn and D tuning on Dobro. Every tuning has its advantages and disadvantages. The root-5-root bottom end in D can be handy but so can the repeated three strings in G. As you so well state, it's all in your frame of reference or perspective.I love the late Marian Hall's quote: "It's not in the tuning. It's in the brain." All these tunings are wide open to creativity.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 11:50 am    

A bit off topic but, for what it's worth, I avoid the single key syndrome by tuning to two major chords: G B D F# A D. You can hear it on my "Stella" CD. There are still some keys that I avoid, but having G major, D major and B minor in the tuning opens a lot of possibilities.

I applaud Andy in his selection of material (and keys) for this product. He is really pushing the envelope.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 2:16 pm    

I really enjoyed your CD, Bob. I'll have to check out that tuning. Greg Leisz said he used to use an E-over-A six-string set-up at one point.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 6:59 am    

E over A was my very first lap steel tuning. A C# E G# B E. It just made sense to me. Mr. Green

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 7:11 am    

Andy Volk wrote:
I really enjoyed your CD, Bob. I'll have to check out that tuning. Greg Leisz said he used to use an E-over-A six-string set-up at one point.

The E-over-A tuning is what I've been using the most for the past year after reading a thread where bOb mentioned it and listening to his Stella CD (same tuning but down a whole step). It allowed me to continue to use the harmonized scale and blues licks that I had learned in open E but with a lot of chord possibilities opened up by changing the two bottom strings. I expect a lot of what is in your open D book will translate to this tuning since the intervals on strings 1-4 are the same. I've got one of my laps tuned to open D awaiting its arrival!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 10:30 am    

Smile

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2017 1:21 am    

Update: thanks to everyone who pre-ordered"Exploring Open D"! The books have shipped from the printer. I will have them in a few days and get them out to you ASAP.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 11:25 am    

Open D books are in stock and shipping now. All pre-orders have been mailed.

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 5:10 pm    

I ordered mine from Amazon, it wasn't listed as "prime" 2 day shipping but Andy got it out to me in 2 days.
Thank you Andy.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 5:19 pm    

You're welcome, Will! I put myself in the buyer's position and I try to get them out as fast as I can.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 5:51 am    

I get both tunings with my Hipshot Doubleshot. This little baby has proved indispensable while playing dobro gigs. I could never have pulled them off without it as I use G on about 75% of the songs and D on 25%.