The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1990 Emmons Lashley Legrand ( Bob, please close )
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 10:18 am    

I made a mistake on the year, found out this guitar was actually built in 90, I just wanted to make sure this was corrected, I apologize for this, I had it in my lame brain that it was a 91 and I was mistaken, so now I have a 1990 Emmons Lashley Legrand 9&5 with natural birdseye formica. I took the 9th pedal off but I can add it back on. The 5th lever is a staggered lever and not a vertical. I will change the setup to a standard Emmons setup. I bought this guitar almost 4 years ago. This guitar originally belonged to Norm Hamlet. I remember when Norm got this guitar, I was doing a show at the same theatre Merle Haggard was and I remembered how beautiful this guitar was and how good it sounded. I also had Norm sign this guitar plus he wrote a letter to authenticate that he originally owned this guitar and was the sole owner of it when I bought it. One thing I almost forgot to mention is that this guitar has the 14 hole bell cranks like the Legrand II guitars. This would be a Strayhorn Era guitar so this guitar is well built and plays great and sounds great. This guitar is in excellent condition. I'm pricing it at $4000,00 plus shipping. Email me for pictures, I'm having trouble posting pictures on here for some reason. Thanks!

Dean Holman

Last edited by Dean Holman on 28 Apr 2017 3:52 pm; edited 18 times in total

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 2:07 pm    

I was able to get one picture to come up. I'll keep trying to post more.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 5:31 pm    

I was able to resize the photo so that they would upload properly.

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 12:16 pm    

I don't see but 8 floor pedals

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 4:29 pm    

Did you read the post?

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 9:26 pm    

I've always used 8 pedals, the 9th pedal kinda threw me off so I just took it off. I still have the pedal and the rods, it's really no big deal to put it back on. The only problem I have is I don't remember what the change was that Norm used for the 9th pedal. I thought I would just leave that up to the buyer for them to choose what change they want on it. This is a really nice guitar. I think this is just one of many guitars that Norm had. I myself like older guitars and especially when they are still in excellent condition. I also forgot to add that the case for this guitar is a nice cush case.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 4:31 am    

I almost bought this guitar from Larry Petree a few years ago if I'm not mistaken, he said it had a "mooney pedal" which I now don't recall the specifics of but allowed Norm to do a lot of the Ralph Mooney licks that are tricky with a normal C pedal. Perhaps that's what was on the ninth pedal still when you got the guitar? Nice guitar!

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 9:18 pm    

I want to make something clear. I paid good money for this guitar and I am not selling this guitar because it belonged to Norm. It does have some sentimental value and I went through a very long period of deciding whether I wanted to sell this guitar. The fact is, I have other things that I need the money for plus I have 2 other guitars and I don't need 3. I take a lot pride in owning good instruments and taking care of them the best that I can. I've owned this guitar for almost 4 years now and I wouldn't even entertain the thought of buying or having a newer Emmons guitar. Age means nothing when a guitar is kept in excellent condition. I know that alot of Emmons guitars sell on this forum, I don't see too many in this natural birdseye, I don't know why I don't see more guitars with this formica but I think it's a beautiful guitar and I hate to have to get rid of it. But sometimes my wants don't match up with my priorities.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 6:19 pm    

Abe,
Larry sold this for Norm. I just thought it was really neat that Norm kept this guitar for all these years. I don't know how often he played it cause I know he had other guitars too. But I just remember when he got this guitar and I was just impressed with the way it looked and sounded. When I saw that Larry was selling it, I had even told him I hadn't seen an Emmons like this since I saw Norm's guitar, I flipped out when he told me it was the same guitar. Oh well, I hope someone will take advantage of this guitar. I don't feel I'm asking too much but I'll entertain any offers.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 2:06 pm    

I'm going to drop the price to 3800.00. This really is a nice guitar, wish I could keep it.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 4:20 pm    

I'm willing to let this guitar go for 3600.00. I'm not sure what other differences there are between the Lashley Legrand and the Legrand II other than the bell cranks. I know you can't get a new Emmons anymore so I think it's at least worth this much. I know there's got to be someone interested in having a good Emmons guitar. I know it's probably not as popular of a color as black, red or rosewood, but I think it's a beautiful guitar and it's a very good sounding guitar plus it plays nice. 3600.00 plus shipping.

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2017 9:52 am     "yes...there's more to life than black or rosewood!"

Hey Dean! Saw your post the other day. Very cool guitar...with a different look for sure! I had Jack Strayhorn build me a D-10 after seeing Norm's guitar in the making. Only differences...mine was a SKH version. I had just received an SD-10 with what turned out to be called by Emmons as "charcoal marble"...I brought them the mica chip and subsequently many guitars were ordered with this finish. One really cool characteristic of the "birdseye" finish is that it shows as a "virtual" lacquer finish under various stage lighting. I always kinda dug that! Someone will buy that guitar and love it for many reasons. Good luck with it. Very nice job on the show, by the way. Keep it comin'. Regards, RK

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 9:59 am    

Rick, that charcoal marble made a nice looking guitar. This natural birdseye makes a nice looking guitar too. I'm going to try to take some better pictures of this guitar. Wish I could take as good of pictures as Damir, maybe a more closeup shot of the formica. This is a nice guitar and because of the 14 hole bell cranks, this guitar plays smooth.

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 11:11 am    

Hey Dean! Found the particular mica sample in question...thought it was still around somewhere. Getting a good pic was the challenge! Anyway, here we are. Looks to be a bit "browner" than the sample actually is. Hope this helps! Good luck...kiss it goodbye. Regards, RK

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 1:26 am     Emmons

I'm going to quote Herbie Wallace in saying "There's Emmons and then there's everything else". He told me that Emmons just has that certain "Edge". I never forgot that, even though he endorsed "Mullens" (also a stellar Axe) till he passed away. Point, good luck getting a legendary guitar like this one for what the man is asking. I love Emmons Guitars, you can't get one so easily anymore. Watch TV and what do you see when it comes to "Steel Guitar"...........Emmons. Classic sound, Classic Look, I mean what else is there Smile. This guitar belongs in a museum if Norm Hamlet played it. I already have two Emmons but this one is really something........Good luck with your sale man and congrats to the lucky person who gets it.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 3:49 pm    

Bob, go ahead and close this. There's no one interested and I think I'll just keep it for now.