The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  volume pedal
Wayne Harris

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 4:47 am    

which is the best volume pedal goodrich or hilton that has sustain built in it thanks

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 5:24 am    

Neither has "sustain" built in. Actually no "pedal steel guitar" volume pedal that I know of has any "effects" built in. They are only for controlling volume.

However, the Goodrich "pot" type pedal is a passive device and does not offer anything other that a volume control.

The Hilton is an electronic device and along with controlling volume level, offers a fixed load on the guitar's pickups and has a low impedance output (thus along with the volume control it also does what a Goodrich Matchbox or Lil Izzy does). But, I don't call this "sustain". Hilton does offer a separate "Super Sustain" device, which I assume is similar to a Matchbox.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 6:14 am    

The sustain is obtained by pressing down on the pedal as the sound dies off.

I tried a Hilton for a while:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Hilton/Hilton.html

My favorite pedals are the Goodrich 120 with the new style potentiometer (Dunlop HotPotz or other similar conductive plastic based pot) and the Telonics FP-100:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Telonics%20Pedal/Telonics%20Pedal.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 11:45 am    

Wayne, if I can help you get a Goodrich or Telonics pedal, just email me.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 2:55 pm    

I have to agree with Greg on this. I like the Goodrich Pedal. I have 5 Goodrich's one is a 10K (love it), the others are L-120. I bought a StageOne Pedal from Doug, and it works great too. It is smaller, lighter, and no string to worry about. The price on it is one of the best. At the time it was $110.00.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 9:27 am    

I have the original Goodrich 120 volume pedal. it needs another pot for it. I paid $75.00 for it back 82. it has given me many years of service.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 12:23 pm    

Well Tommy, they are not even close to that price anymore.

Get in touch with me about a new Goodrich pot for your pedal.

bferguson1947@gmail.comj
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Frank Markow

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 1:39 pm     Hilton Pedal

I just received a new Hilton Pro model. They actually make them with the in's and outs on the right side for pedal players, and it has the off-point adjustment, and you can adjust the "feel" / tightness of the pedal.

While I do not have a ton to compare it too, I can say it is a great sounding pedal. Like they say, it allows all the high end to come through better than a pot pedal, and this to me is "perceived" sustain, in that your ears hear more in the high frequency range (now don't some of you get all technical on me about how the ear works, I'm just saying it seems to sustain longer and I think this may be why). I am now able to strike a chord once, and make several big changes, and still hear it ring some, could never do that before.

And the off-point knob is great. Took some experimenting , but I found I like it with some gain still on even with the pedal all the way down. This seems easier for me to "push" up some notes as they are waning, that classic thing a lot of players do that was hard for me to do before. I imagine if you just want to do this with your pedal, you could set your off-point to, say 50%, leave it mostly there, then use that last 50% just to push / sustain a note...

Anyhow, I'm sure the Goodrich's are great too, just sharing my experience so far with the Hilton. And... I recommend Gary Sills shop, he offers great customer service, knowledgeable and good prices. He'll get you set up with these pedals!