The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joseph Kekuku image
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 5:36 am    

Strange pic. Kind of reminds me of Roy Buchanan doing schtick like drinking a glass of water with his right hand while playing licks on the guitar with his left. Either that or it's the earliest E-Bow ever. Smile

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 6:02 am    

What is intriguing to me is the last paragraph...."playing in the largest 125 cities in the USA....to playing to over 1 million people".

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 6:45 am    

Interesting. Playing for 1 million people in a lifetime was possible back in the days when musicians played seven nights a week, sometimes three vaudeville shows a day, toured the country, and people went out to hear live music. I've played over 4500 gigs in my lifetime (so far). Divide 1 million by 4500 and that's 222 people per show! Of course, most of those gigs were in house bands where the same people would come in a lot. I'm glad those days are over. Nowadays a player can be heard by 1 million people through his youtube channel.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 7:18 am    

In the pre-media era, live performance of music, spoken word, theater, etc. was more highly valued and cherished as it was one of the few available forms of entertainment. It's hard to imagine today just how exciting, fresh and novel acoustic steel guitar music was to people back then. I remember Jerry Byrd's description of seeing a tent show with a Hawaiian band as a kid and how it impressed him so much it became his life's direction. Many audience members who never became musicians were likewise thrilled by the sounds Kekuku and others of his generation made.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 12:17 pm    

That photo can be dated to a time before he started using a a rusty railroad spike.