The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons bellcranks
Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 11:15 am    

Where do you Emmons guys find push-pull bellcranks these days?

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 11:18 am    

I've also been wondering, were the bellcrank swivels a standard hardware part repurposed from a different intended use, maybe carburetor linkage?

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 11:32 pm    

The swivels match the bellcranks of the period. Although, there were only four different push pull swivel designs compared to seven different push pull bellcrank styles. They were made by the same company that made the shaft collars.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 7:21 am    

Chris, can you post a side-by-side photo of all seven types of bellcranks?

It would be a nice bit of historical info for P/P devotees.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 10:38 am    

Bobby Burns wrote:
I've also been wondering, were the bellcrank swivels a standard hardware part repurposed from a different intended use, maybe carburetor linkage?

I don't know if there is any credence to this, but I heard that they were parts from a cash register, since Buddy's dad worked for NCR.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 12:58 pm    

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/004892.html

Bell cranks were used on a lot of machines though (NCR parts):

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/ZSgAAOSwOddYxxbN/$/National-Cash-Register-Parts-assortment-_57.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 4:01 pm    

Jim Smith wrote:
Bobby Burns wrote:

I don't know if there is any credence to this, but I heard that they were parts from a cash register, since Buddy's dad worked for NCR.

That may be true of the first bellcrank style, that is very S shaped and is on the two prototypes. Number Two, the first Emmons after the prototypes had the next version, a tapered, but straight and unplated bellcrank. Number One, a couple months later, was the first guitar with the third style bellcranks which look like what the casual observer may think of the ordinary fat bellcranks with small swivels and the bellcrank set screw hole on the normal side. By July, and Number Five, they had bellcranks with set screw holes on the wrong side, for some reason, still with small swivels. With August and Numbers Three and Six, they had bellcranks the same as the second production guitar -- Number One. Then they changes the size of the swivels, and changed the shape of the sweep again, changed the thickness, and changed the sweep again.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 9:23 am    

Tony Glassman wrote:
Chris, can you post a side-by-side photo of all seven types of bellcranks?

It would be a nice bit of historical info for P/P devotees.

No.
There are some so-called Emmons restoration experts who really don't know what they are doing, especially with 1964 or 1965 guitars. For example, one restorer owns a1964 but does not realize it was rebuilt from a box of parts and many of them do not belong underneath that guitar. I know, I used to own that guitar and know it's history. The same guy boasted about his wonderful wraparound he restored when in fact the guitar started life as a 1978 cut tail. There are fake Wraparounds out there. I want to keep that number down.
I don't need to give a free education to unqualified guys working to "restore" special Emmons guitars. They can educate themselves by buying twelve or fifteen Wraparounds and setting them up side by side and learning.
And, there are the players to whom it does not matter what the differences are between bellcranks, because although there are some leverage differences, they all work essentially the same way.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 11:31 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/004892.html

Bell cranks were used on a lot of machines though (NCR parts):

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/ZSgAAOSwOddYxxbN/$/National-Cash-Register-Parts-assortment-_57.jpg

Thanks for finding that post! I had forgotten that Buddy answered that "only" 15 years ago!