James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 10:41 am    

I guess if I had to pick favorites, it would be these two:

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 12:04 pm    

Rick Aiello wrote:
C. E. Jackson wrote:
Rick, I recently watched Alan Akaka playing a 4 STRING FRYING PAN LAP STEEL made by you and was
impressed by the sound. What tuning did he use in this video?

Alan Akaka Playing 4 String Frying Pan

C. E. Smile

He was using E major ... lo to hi ... E G# B E ... for most of it

Then he went to C#M ... lo to hi ... E G# C# E ... at the end.

Here it is, fresh out of the sand ... Luigi dug it out Wink

Rick,
Thanks for the tunings used in the video. Alan seemed to enjoy playing the steel. The steel looks great and sounds
excellent. I can try both 4 string tunings on 7 or 8 string A6. Keep up the good work.

C. E. Smile Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Last edited by C. E. Jackson on 17 Nov 2017 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 12:14 pm    

C. E. Jackson wrote:
Rick, I recently watched Alan Akaka playing a 4 STRING FRYING PAN LAP STEEL made by you and was
impressed by the sound. What tuning did he use in this video?
Alan Akaka Playing 4 String Frying Pan

Slightly unrelated...but the last song on that video (20-25 min), can anyone identify that (with those sweeping swells)? I remember hearing it used during a pre-song transition on the Tapa Room Tapes (but not the whole song).

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 3:39 pm    

Paradise Isle ...

He did it the next day on his Asher ... backed by Gerald Ross ...

I don’t know if I ever heard such “mind bending” playing ... it was as if He and Gerald were one person playing both steel and guitar ... simultaneously

I’ll never forget it 🤠

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 5:54 pm    

Thanks Rick! A search took me straight to an old Lani McIntire video...obviously that tune's been around for a while...

Hopefully I'll be able to get out to Colorado next year!

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 7:56 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
This one may end up being my favorite. If I can ever get the wiring figured out so the controls work the way they're supposed to, I plan to pull it apart, patch up the body, and do a total refin. I dubbed it the "Ultramaster."

ps -- I set it up for A6 as you suggested, C.E. Love it!

Jack, glad you are enjoying A6. It is my favorite tuning for 6, 7, and 8 string steels.
The "Ultramaster"Smile restoration is looking great. This 7 string steel with A6 will very likely
become your favorite. Looking forward to seeing the totally restored "Ultramaster."

C. E. Smile Smile
A6 tuning for steels

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 9:37 am    

James Hartman wrote:
I guess if I had to pick favorites, it would be these two:

James, 2 beautiful vintage steels. Of course, my favorite of all vintage steels is the GIBSON EH-185 (v.1a) 7 STRING C.C.pu:c.1939.
A photo is shown under my initial post. In my opinion, the EH-185 models are the finest lap steels ever made by Gibson, although
only an estimated 503 were made, including those with U-magnet pickups (A.K.A. C.C.pu), Diagonal pickups, and natural finishes.

I believe that your EH-185 could be rather rare, since it has the C.C.pu and a rather small number were made before Gibson went to
the Diagonal pickup.

Is the non-slip material on the back of the neck and body in the form of diamonds, or does it follow the contour of the neck and body?

Does the "Hyblum" metal insert have a different thickness under the fret-board (5/16") and controls area (1/4")?

Is the "Hyblum" metal insert glossy black, or crinkled gray?

C. E. Smile
A6 tuning for steels

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 11:28 am    

C.E,

Thanks for your comments. I feel fortunate to have happened upon these two in circumstances where I wasn't actually shopping for them - they just sort of presented themselves.

The EH-185 belonged to a friend of mine. I had it on loan for quite a while, fell in love with it, eventually bought it from him. The non slip material on the back is in the shape of diamonds. The metal insert is of uniform thickness, under the fingerboard and over the body, and has a 'crinkle' finish (not sure whether I'd call its color gray or brown).

And, of course, it sounds wonderful.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 1:03 pm    

James Hartman wrote:
C.E,

Thanks for your comments. I feel fortunate to have happened upon these two in circumstances where I wasn't actually shopping for them - they just sort of presented themselves.

The EH-185 belonged to a friend of mine. I had it on loan for quite a while, fell in love with it, eventually bought it from him. The non slip material on the back is in the shape of diamonds. The metal insert is of uniform thickness, under the fingerboard and over the body, and has a 'crinkle' finish (not sure whether I'd call its color gray or brown).

And, of course, it sounds wonderful.

James, your beautiful Gibson EH-185 was probably made in the Spring of 1940. EH-185 models with Diagonal pickups were issued in late 1940. However, your EH-185 did not meet 1939 model specs for the earliest EH-185 models by Gibson. But......, your steel is rare Smile and sells for maybe the highest price for vintage Gibson lap steels, with the one possible exception being the 1935 Gibson Metal EHG, the only metal body steel made by Gibson.

Truly, you have a valuable vintage steel you will want to keep. I agree the EH-185 models sound great! If you want to see all of the EH-185 models made by Gibson, you can see them on My Vintage Steel Guitars video link below.

C. E. Smile Smile
A6 tuning for steels

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 8:35 am    

C. E. Jackson wrote:

James, your beautiful Gibson EH-185 was probably made in the Spring of 1940. EH-185 models with Diagonal pickups were issued in late 1940. However, your EH-185 did not meet 1939 model specs for the earliest EH-185 models by Gibson. But......, your steel is rare Smile and sells for maybe the highest price for vintage Gibson lap steels, with the one possible exception being the 1935 Gibson Metal EHG, the only metal body steel made by Gibson.

Truly, you have a valuable vintage steel you will want to keep. I agree the EH-185 models sound great! If you want to see all of the EH-185 models made by Gibson, you can see them on My Vintage Steel Guitars video link below.

C. E. Smile Smile

Thanks for the additional info. The EH-185 is definitely a keeper. I also have a mid (late?) '30s EH-150. I like both, enjoy the difference in tone between the two. Have not had an opportunity to play one with the diagonal pickup; I expect I'd like that as well, but I do love the sound of the CCs.

I watched your Vintage Steel Guitars video. Wow! Your collection is incredible. So many beautiful instruments.

Jim