The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie Stumbles on to Chord Voicing
Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 5:09 pm    

I've only been playing for a month or two. I'm sure this is not news to anyone who has been playing for a while but here's my story.

Last night I was practicing and went for a G chord at fret 10, strings 5 6 & 8 with pedals AB down. The chord rang out and it sounded both wrong and right at the same time. After further investigation I discovered I had actually hit strings 6 7 & 9 by mistake. After some more investigating I found I was actually getting a C chord and not the G I was looking for. This was really unexpected. Since G major does contain a C chord, it made sense to me that my miss sounded both wrong and right at the same time.

I started looking into my find a little further thinking, too bad the C is only on these 3 strings. It was then that I realized that this was not necessarily a bad thing as the other strings were giving me some options for some complex chord voicings. I found a Cmaj7 and then a Cmaj9. All of this kept me busy for a while. Fun stuff! Loving my pedal steel!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 7:15 am    

That's a pretty common grip. But, you're right, it doesn't just jump out at you. I use the maj7 grip there as parts of melody lines for solos and intros. It's cool to use the AB pedals at 10 (G) as the 1 chord on strings 5,6,8, then hit strings 5,7,9 with the A and B pedals engaged for that maj7 as a passing chord to the C chord, then slide down to the 8th fret for the C chord. I do this when playing my solo in "Neon Moon".

Also don't forget the 6m chord of G (Em) at fret 10 using strings 5,6,7 with A and B pressed. Still at the 10th fret.

I'm on my iPad right now, or I'd tab this out for you. If you want, maybe I could do this later today on my PC. It's great to see a newbie who doesn't run away from using strings 7 & 9 Many just get afraid of them and think about taking them out of the tuning.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 7:24 am    

Here's the Neon Moon video. The move I am talking about happens around 2:43. Sorry for added vocals. That was the guy that was doing the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=85eSKXvhgco

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 7:36 am    

Lovely harmonics work Richard!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 10:25 am     Nuther noob

Michael, wait till you start messing with knee lever / pedal combinations. After doodling around on my 3x4 for 5 months now, the only chord I haven't been able to figure out is a minor major seventh. Don't tell me - I know it's in there somewhere. Plus, just straight major and minor triads are all over the place. I am figuring out that one of the keys to getting control of this instrument will be settling on and playing only one of many choices there are at any given time. Another being that those beautiful, lush, closely-voiced chords should probably be used sparingly, dangit.

Doodling around is my favorite part of practice time, btw...

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 10:59 am    

Never mind, I just found it Cool
I also found Richard Sinkler's Guitar Map program.
So I'll see you in about 3 years, everybody!

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 9:11 am    

Just to give credit where credit is due, the Guitar Map program was written by fellow forumite, Karlis Abolins. Great program. I offered to host the download on my website to make it easier to access. Thanks for visiting my website.

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 11:09 am    

Michael, thats awesome. You are using the 9th as a root in that scenario. Now explore what you can do using the 9th String as a M3, m3, and 6th (lowered half). I wrote a small booklet on this very topic. You are into a new world now! Kudos to you.