The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hanging up my bar and picks.
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 9:54 am    

From what I understand Johnny literally grew up under the wings of the "greats",,,the ones that led us all to this instrument,,,,and he has picked up the best from the best,,,and made it his own. If there is not enough session work,,,or decent paying road work to keep someone like him busy,,,,does one (not to mention names) Nashville picker have it all???? have it all????

Carl Houtz

Central Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 10:33 am     Try something new

Hi Johnny,

I know being on the road today would not be fun. I see some guys are asking about lessons. I would like to know if you still work on steel guitars? My MSA Legend needs some quality care.

I have an idea, set up a repair shop in the back of your truck and go around to different parts of the states and people could come to you. That way they could bring their steels to you and would not have to drive hundreds of miles.

You could do a website listing where you would be and people could set appointments. Just a thought. Repair shops for steels are few and far between, especially in Central PA.

You are one of the great steel players and would hate to see you out of the music business all together.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 5:33 am     Re: Try something new

Carl Houtz wrote:
I have an idea, set up a repair shop in the back of your truck and go around to different parts of the states and people could come to you. That way they could bring their steels to you and would not have to drive hundreds of miles.

That's a great idea, Carl!

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 7:59 am    

You'll make more money driving truck. Benefits are probably better too. Just speakin the truth. Don't get me wrong, you are one of the best, but at the same time being the best at anything doesn't guarantee anything either. Plenty of time to play while being a driver too. just enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Mike Wilson on 1 Apr 2017 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 8:26 am    

Do what you like to do so you don't end up doing what you have to do. There's equal frustration in truck driving too! Having said that I think you love steel too much to stop playing it. It is harder to make a living playing it and your skill level is up there with the best of them. Why don't you teach? You have a lot to share and for what it's worth the Indie scene is growing in full force and offering tons of musical freedom to express yourself and make so money. Find a Casey Musgraves and add to their sound. Don't let the music business ruin your passion for music, there's a difference. Nothing owes you a living. You've forgotten more than most of us will learn and you've left a mark whether you know it or not..." Just sayin"!

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 3:58 pm    

Bunch of cry babies (LOL) You should live where I do, with no-one and nowhere to play except a show once in while. When you can find one that isn't political.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 7:47 am    

I have an old friend from Dallas, Tx. named Todd Clayton that began life in his early 20's playing steel guitar for Charlie Pride back when Charlie was at the top of the charts. Todd was and still is one of the best steel players in the world but after a few years with Charlie Pride he decided to go to flight school and get an ATP rating. (Airline Transport Pilot) license. He's presently a B737 Captain for United Airlines and about ready to retire from Airline work HOWEVER he has still played steel guitar all these years with local bands and very good local bands when he is off. He has the power to choose who he wants to play for, when he wants to play and he is a happy camper. Most of all he shares his talent that God gave him playing the Lord's music on his pedal steel guitar. Who says you can't do both. Johnny Cox is also that caliber of a musician and I think at this time he is probably making the right choice. There will still be plenty of time to play steel guitar for whoever he wants to, when he wants to. When you are that good entertainers will make a place for you when you get ready to perform. God bless Johnny and may it all work out for the best.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 8:11 am    

Yes! I agree. I have a backup career as a school / college teacher and have played the pedal steel at gigs of my choice since the 80's. I have had lots of enjoyment, and really feel, that every musician should have a back up career. The secret is to start your backup career early in life! You can only practice so much!

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 8:29 am    

Captain Todd Clayton (United Airlines)
He can play slow and pretty too!

https://youtu.be/TmvzyF6qbig[/url]

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 10:06 am    

He's my captain! Here's Todd playing one of my favorite hymns. It just shows that you can pe a great pilot and an awesome pedal,steel,player as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rDzCXPM6830

Last edited by Brian Henry on 5 Apr 2017 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 10:10 am    

Here's another great classic by Todd.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2VJ6Wi5b3IQ

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 11:28 am    

Todd has my vote. Great guy too. Back in the 80's any time I came out where he was playing he always asked me to sit in and I did. He played a beautiful Sho-Bud D-10 back then. Yes, great picker and pilot!

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 1:27 am    

For me, I go with Doug. hahaha
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.