The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I can hardly listen to Buddy
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 10:08 am    

Quote:
Consider it a blessing from God to be able to play anything on a musical intrument.

Well said, David.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 4:19 am    

I struggled for decades comparing my playing ability with others. Thankfully, in my old age I'm now at a point now where I'm comfortable just playing what I play. Clear simple lines played with the best technique and tone I can muster go a long way in a song and for an audience's enjoyment.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 12:17 pm    

Being at the forefront of the rise of the pedal steel, Buddy had the INCENTIVE to create lix and pedal steel innovations.
A unique lick on a recording could create demand for that player on upcoming sessions.
Along with the standard competition between players, with the steel guitar, there was/is a special affinity, especially amongst players in Nashville.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 7:55 am    

Buddy has an awesome Flow.

Jernigan has a clean crisp speed and touch and phrasing

Tommy White - clean articulation but I find makes the steel sing in and out of chords better than anyone except for Billy Robinson.

My own observations.

I get inspired by them everyday. Legends all.

I really don't care if it takes me a month or a year to get a song or a line. I'm pretty sure though if I am able to reproduce it with any of the above legends accuracy and skill I will be happy as a lark.

Buddy recordings are far less as impressive as his live lines which are smoking.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 12:16 pm    

I agree completely with Chris. It was a unique time in pedal steel.
Unaware of what was going on in the steel world in those days, I assumed Emmons came from some association like The Wrecking Crew,
some good musician accustomed to heavy hitting jazz sessions and deigning to accompany Judy Collins and a few others.
Then you learn some history of steel and it's nothing like that.

So it's good to be an outsider, never depressed, because he played that and I didn't have to and couldn't anyway.
I mean, to me, he played Blue Jade so I wouldn't have to think about how he did it (and even if I had a couple of clues,
that wouldn't be it), remembering that by and large he's playing this for folks to enjoy.

Somebody was going to break through--this is a very recent instrument development--and I think the guy that did it had the sharpest mind.
Or at least, it appeared that way, because he was well-read, well-spoken, interested in people and had great humor in himself.
It can't be overlooked that humility and other traits were equally responsible for his place among Nashville musicians.

I don't think Mr. Emmons would want me to listen to 'So What' and be depressed. If it doesn't inspire, like Stefan said, so what?

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 2:00 pm    

Well to shed a little light on this post, I've had it's original poster, Steve H. over to my house a couple times as a new student. It took me about one minute to realize that he "has what it takes" to play this instrument. For a teacher, that's a joy and often a rare one. In his case, he's feeling this way because he's got great ears! Cool