The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CD Burner with ability to set different GAP track by track?
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 5:22 pm    

I spent some time out on the internet today finding out that it is possible to adjust the gap length times track by track in a CD burning session. For a long time I've successfully burned CD's using the bare bones ITunes CD burner. But, now I have a project that would require different gap setting times during a CD burning session--something that I realized ITunes could not do. I want to burn 2 LP's to a single CD--one LP has no gaps and is edited with the appropriate start/end track markers for the CD player to read--gapless setting. The other LP has the standard gaps and I usually put a 2 second gap in the burner settings.

I've seen the CD burner software prices on the internet from about $30.00 to $100.00. I don't mind if I have to pay whatever amount for it, but I really don't need recording studio type features that I probably won't ever use in my basic home recording to CD's.

Can someone recommend a quality CD burner program that has the feature I'm looking for? Thanks.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 1:50 am    

I use NCH Express Burn Plus, no issues, allows for setting time between tracks, called "burn pause" . Also has a full menu of burn speeds among other options. Burns Audio, Data, video, etc...

http://www.nch.com.au/burn/

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 2:10 am    

I use Nero's "BurningROM" for all my audio CD burning. It will burn "disk at once" (needed to put song titles on discs) or Track at Once. I like the verify function after burning that the program has too. It will also allow the standard gap or whatever gap you want. Even better than the Sony CD Architect that many recording studios use for their masters.

BurningROM is the only burner program I've found that will burn to multiple drives at the same time. Something I need for my production.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 7:19 am    

A good friend turned me on to the Presonus Studio One Project mode... this is a really cool way to organize and 'build' a CD project. Unfortunately, you have to buy Studio One to get it, but it's a GREAT feature.

I'm doing a 'greatest hits' collection for a guy right now, many sources from various sessions over a lot of years. S1 Project mode has made level matching, EQ matching, etc. almost trivial. Every track can have its own integrated plugs for whatever you need, and the overall project has its discrete set of plugs also. Quite ingenious. It also burns directly to CD.

Here's one article, there are tons on the web:
https://ask.audio/articles/mastering-projects-with-studio-ones-project-page

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 4:41 pm    

OK, guys thanks for the responses! I was on the web sites of the ones mentioned, but they didn't specifically show how the gap times are set. I also went to YouTube, but their 'how-to' videos didn't show that function either. Is there a panel control window for each gap to set that gap length, or is there a panel control window that lists all gaps, and you indivually click each gap setting down the line? If someone could take a print screen shot, that would help a lot. Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 2:21 am    

Nero, its done in track properties panel for each track. "Pause" sets the gap.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 1:38 pm    

Jack, thanks a lot for the print screen shot, that's exactly what I wanted to see! So, as I see, and what you're saying is that a panel control window comes-up for EACH GAP--well, that's easy enough to understand. I must say that Nero has a very high rating out on the internet and the price seems right, too. The NCH Express Burn looks pretty good, also. The Studio One looks like it may be way too much for what I want to do.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 1:42 pm    

Quote:
The Studio One looks like it may be way too much for what I want to do.

Yeah, way more than you need to set song gaps for sure. Just mentioned it because that Project Mode is sorta unique and very cool. Smile