The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Loose neck on a National Grand Console D8
L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 4:48 pm    

I brought a late forties or early fifties National D8 back to life with new tuner buttons, some wiring work, and a 1/4' jack to replace a badly done hard wired chord that someone used to replace the original screw on jack. It looks a little rough but it plays great.

The last detail needing attention as some looseness between the outer neck and central control body. How are these guitars held together and is it possible to snug it up with butchering it. The wobble is pretty slight.

Bogue

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 6:33 pm    

My National D8 has four little chrome caps on the inside wood piece closest to your body. Pry off those four caps and there is a wood screw behind each one. I believe if you remove those four screws you can then remove that inside cover piece and you will have access to the through-bolts for the body. I'm going from my somewhat dodgy memory on that though.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 1:07 am    

Mine is held together with wooden dowels and the piece in front of the front neck is slightly loose. I was tempted to drop some glue into the recess and clamp it as someone in a previous thread suggested this would also assist with sustain. In fact when I clamped it tight I lost a little in sustain so have left it where it is. It's not going to fall out and I love the sound as it is so will not be doing the repair.

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 7:14 am    

Bill, mine doesn't have the caps you described. I suspect it's dowelled like Mike said. Maybe it's best to just keep an eye on it and, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." After playing it, I realize it's not a very handy lap steel. On the inner neck, my left arm hits my senior sized belly at about fret 14. So a stand will be purchased. That will support both necks. Thanks to you both!