The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Considering a more modern PSG, suggestions
Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 1:27 pm    

After over ten years on my 2 Sho-buds, I am testing waters on acquiring a more modern pedal steel guitar. I got to check out a couple of instruments recently and was very much seduced by compactness and weight of these guitars. I love vintage tone of my old buds but they are heavy and definitely are missing a few advanced features.
I'm looking at used d10's in vg shape,8x5 minimum, light weight, precision mechanics and easy copedent changes.
I am leaning towards Carter, Zum or Mullen steel. Unfortunately a brand new guitar is out of my budget for now. I know brands are a matter of personal preference, but would like some input on what is my best bet in 2500-3000 range. What are, in your opinion the pros and cons of some of these guitars? Thanks, fellow forumites

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 2:19 pm    

If you wanted to retain the ShoBud vibe but with all the modern mechanics and quality finish you could also consider ShoPro these guitars are outstanding and Jeff Surratt is a top man
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 3:52 pm    

Same would go for the Jackson guitars. Sho Bud sound and vibe all the way but with modern mechanics The Jacksons continue to make great guitars.

Dave

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 3:55 pm    

I don't think you'll find a Show Pro under 3.
After Bruce retired, Zums went up.
Carter, Magnum, perhaps a Ritt or a Rains.
Be patient.

Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 4:22 pm    

Thanks for suggestions, I really like the way Jacksons and Show Pro's are keeping Sho-bud tradition alive and they look like fine beautiful instruments. But from what I can tell, they still retain the size and most of the weight of sho-bud guitars, compared to really compact and lighter design of Carter, Ritt, Zum and Fessy guitars I've encountered. I am keeping my Buds, but wanted a lighter, smaller and more precise instrument for freequent gigging,air travel and also for experementation w/ copedent. I also hope that a lighter D10 will allow me to play more C6. As of now, my Sho-bud D10 is way too heavy to bring out regularly.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 5:00 pm    

If your goal is to accommodate air travel, I would suggest a GFI Expo/Ultra/Aero S10 or an Excel S10.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 5:15 pm    

A Williams D-10 keyless is super compact and light as is an Excel D-10 Keyless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 6:22 pm    

Practically all of the new guitars one the market today are excellent guitars. It would be hard to recommend one over another. Its just a personal preference.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 6:26 pm    

Split cases have made my life easier.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 1:03 am    

All good choices but in your price range for a modern era D10 , you are on the VERY LOW end for a Zum or Mullen. Probably below the LOW end.

Carters are some of the best Steel Guitars made at your price point, just be aware that they used very small hardware components for the pull system.

Also , should you happen to come by any Emmons Legrande or Legrande II's near your price point, don't wait, pull the trigger.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 5:02 pm    

Igor, I'm planning on selling my Cater D10 8+8. It's a very compact guitar and you're welcome to come out and play it sometime.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 7:28 am    

Tony Prior: "Carters are some of the best Steel Guitars made at your price point, just be aware that they used very small hardware components for the pull system."

Can you elaborate?
Which components?
And just wondering, why would this be a concern?

Thanks in advance.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 8:42 am    

Regarding the Carters, do a forum search for "Carter" and "dog bones"

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 9:12 am    

ajm wrote:
Tony Prior: "Carters are some of the best Steel Guitars made at your price point, just be aware that they used very small hardware components for the pull system."

Can you elaborate?
Which components?
And just wondering, why would this be a concern?

Thanks in advance.

First off it's not a concern but rather a point of understanding the all pull hardware system.

I am a big fan of Carters, I have owned 4, 1 was my primary Steel for 12 years, loved it. Some days I am sad I sold it.

Regarding the hardware which connects the bell cranks to the cross shafts, they are very small socket head screws. The pull rods connect to the bell cranks via small brass "dog bones" which fit into the bell crank. These are very small components and if you have medium to large fingers they may be a tad difficult to work with. The pull rod connects to the dog bone, the dog bone fits inside the bell crank. It's a 3 piece system, rod, dog bone and bell crank.

It's not an issue, the system works fine, but if someone is going to make PULL changes often, they just need to know what the system is. I personally have never had any part of the Carter pull system fail. I have had some of the socket head screws "strip" while trying to remove them but I always won the battle. I replaced them with SS cap head screws.

IF someone is to NEVER change the PEDAL/KNEE lever configuration then all of this is mute.

The photos shows some of the pull components, the rods, the bell cranks and you can see where the pull rods hook to the brass "dog bones".

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 11:46 am    

Desert Rose,Justice Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 3:27 pm    

I'm also a ShoBud guy but use Excels on the gig....they are very light, mechanically flawless and affordable..fwiw Larry Very Happy

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 3:46 pm    

As a fellow shobud guy, this is my advice. Take it for what it is worth which probably isn't much. I have a Shobud Pro 1 and like you, wanted a more modern steel. I looked at the Show Pro guitars but realized at least for me, I already have a guitar that sounds like a Shobud. So I decided to go with a Mullen. The Royal Precision is at the top end of your price range new. So Im sure you can find a used one to comfortably purchase. Then you have a newer, different sounding steel and still have the Shobud sound that we all love! The best of both worlds!!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 1:35 am    

Jason Putnam wrote:
The Royal Precision is at the top end of your price range new.

The Mullen RP D10 new, 8+4, sells for $4000

The SD10 , 3+4 is around $3000

excellent Instruments.

The op is asking for a D10 at a budget of $2500 to $3000.

Personally I would move the budget up to $3500 for a premium USED Steel and the world would become much bigger ! Smile

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 4:18 am    

Missed the D10 part!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 1:24 pm     New Psg

I played Sho Buds for over 30 years. I am now playing a Mullen Discovery. (Because of weight) Also using Mr. Sarnos "Steel Guitar Black Box. I am completely satisfied.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 1:51 pm    

Zero complaints about my Zum Encore and if you want a D-10 you can get the additional arm rest pad for the S-10.

When I was shopping for a modern steel I was trying to decide between an Excel, GFI Ultra or a Zum. I don't think you can go wrong with any one of those.

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 3:01 pm    

I would recommend looking at Fessenden, they are great and easy as pie to work on.