The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2 measure line in 4 measure chorus
Bill Mollenhauer

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:23 pm    

BAIB is laid out with 4 measures per line. I am putting a song in which has in the first line of the chorus only 2 measures for the line and then the rest of the lines have 4 measures per line of words.

I can make it play correctly by deleting the last 2 bars (edit/delete bars/2) and then going to the next line and making it a new chorus (click on the measure number and cycle thru till I get the green chorus block color). I have in effect created 2 chorus now that play one after the other.

This seems like a rather crude way of doing it. Is there a better way? I hope I have explained this correctly. I have BIAB 2014

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 6:35 pm    

I guess I'm not understanding your question. BIAB creates the number of bars you tell it to, 32 by default. It displays 4 measures per line but that has nothing to do with how it will play. If you want it to sound like a new section, just click on the bar number and it will begin that measure with a change in the rhythm section to show the change. If your question is about how to create first and second endings, etc. that is a different situation. I can only tell you how the 2014 version works from memory as I'm running the 2017 version now. However, most things are still pretty much the same.

Bill Mollenhauer

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 5:29 pm    

Let me try to explain it differently.
It is the bridge section on the song Traveller by Chris Stapleton.
It goes 2 measures, then 4 measures, then 4 measures then 6 measures. I am not so sure how to enter it cleanly in BIAB.
Harry, it is not a 1st or 2nd ending
David, that doesn't do it.
Thanks both for the input.
But in thinking about it now as I write this I have another idea of how I will have to enter it.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 8:10 pm    

I guess I'm not understanding why you have it broken down by 2,4, or 6 bars. It sounds like just a 16 bar bridge. What is different about the sections that they need to be separated? Where does the song go after the bridge? BIAB will do multiple endings, codas, etc. just like the music is written. You can also change keys, tempo, etc. for any number of measures you want.

Bill Mollenhauer

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 5:16 pm    

"It sounds like just a 16 bar bridge. What is different about the sections that they need to be separated?"
I think you have it Harry. That is pretty much what I was thinking last night.
It is just my inexperience that caused me to go down the wrong path. I was just following the tab I took off the internet and that is the way the lines were written out. 2, 4. 4. 6. If I rewrite the lines it will come out to 4, 4, 4, 4. and fit into 4 measure format of BIAB. The sentences will be broken up funny but I will just have to adjust my singing and it should work.
Thanks for your help.